What's new

COMET LANDING- Europe set to make space history today!!

i am reminded of some words from the film, interstellar ( maybe you have seen the film )...

do not go gently into the night
rage... rage against the dying light.
i'll have to watch a decent print of that movie again.This time the print I was watching had poor sound quality.

Last edited:
i'll have to watch a decent print of that movie again.This time the print I was watching had poor sound quality.

You should see it in an IMAX theater for the best viewing.

Dont let us down little Philae! Hold stong onto that icy ball on the black ocean of nothingness. Drill down into the mysteries of the ancient past. We're counting on you, little one!

Dont let us down little Philae! Hold stong onto that icy ball on the black ocean of nothingness. Drill down into the mysteries of the ancient past. We're counting on you, little one!
Its hardly getting sunlight (of 1.5hrs or so) when actually 6-7 hours of sunlight is needed to run the batteries well.

@OrionHunter @Nova2 @jamahir
Finally the news ...
Philae Comet Lander Falls Silent as Batteries Run Out

I hope at some point it comes back to life when it gets 6-7hours of sunlight.:(
Yes, but thankfully prior to falling silent ,the lander was able to transmit all scientific data it had gathered. Though the chance were slim as it was initially thought that it wouldn't have enough power to transmit data.
some more info,
"The chances that we could reestablish the link again tomorrow are really very, very low," he said.
"The battery is not completely empty, but it is below the level the central computer needs to boot" up.
something to be happy about,i guess..
In one of many jaw-dropping achievements, the robot lab appears to have lifted itself slightly yesterday and rotate the larger of its solar panels to absorb as much energy as possible to be stored for a possible wakeup later.
their last tweet..
"S'ok Philae, I've got it from here for now. Rest well...," said a response tweeted on behalf of Rosetta.
:cray:

I guess it would get more sunlight when it gets closer to sun,cos right now it so far away from sun that its surface tem is 70 below zero ,hope it wakeup sooner than later :)

@OrionHunter @Nova2 @jamahir
Finally the news ...
Philae Comet Lander Falls Silent as Batteries Run Out

I hope at some point it comes back to life when it gets 6-7hours of sunlight.:(

i will say that they didn't engineer philae very well... they should have put a better legs system ( based on gyroscope/accelerometer ), and a thruster underneath to lift it from non-proper landing sites... but a lesson well learnt now.

their last tweet..

that trend is quite silly... machines tweeting each other... :sick:

i will say that they didn't engineer philae very well... they should have put a better legs system ( based on gyroscope/accelerometer ), and a thruster underneath to lift it from non-proper landing sites... but a lesson well learnt now.
Not much was know about the comet to built everything perfectly but i guess it should have been built in a way to make it more stable,and i dont get it why does every design ends up in a rectanguar/square shape,i know its easy to jus pass judgements sitting bac home but i guess then need to come up with some better designs,my two cents.

And btw i guess we already have a zero gravity facility?don't we?,if yes then it would be better to do some testing over their first ,before setting it up for a mission.

that trend is quite silly... machines tweeting each other... :sick:
Lol, it is but that i guess is the best way to let everyone know about it, even to those who don't care to know about it :-)

Last edited:
Europe's science probe Philae sent home a treasure trove of data from a comet heading towards the Sun before falling silent as its power ran out, mission control said Saturday.
Crowning a historic feat, the robot lab streamed data from its experiments back to its mother ship Rosetta in the final hours before its battery ran down.

This included the outcome of an eagerly-waited chemistry test of a sample drilled from the comet's icy and dusty surface, scientists said.
"Rosetta's lander has completed its primary science mission," the European Space Agency (ESA) said.

Comet probe sends back science treasure in final hours

Wow landing on a comet! Probably the most sophisticated space mission yet. America has all the money but at times Europe does something that shows who is the real master, the one who created the art in the first place.

Its just that they've not mentioned what kind of treasure.

Science data, what kind, they probably don't even know themselves at this point. But if you want to research a good start would be looking for websites that have info on Philae's instruments, and you can somewhat deduce from that what it was doing....Official word is all experiments were completed in the three days until battery ran out, so...we shall see.

In any case, even if Philae would have failed completely, 4/5th's of instruments are on Rosetta and not Philae.

I've always had a question as to why only 67P was selected for this mission and why not some other comet??was it its size??
Most of the comets 're composed of pre- solar nebula material ...then why only 67P?

Of particular interest were comets that had been observed over at least several orbits of the Sun, and which were known to be fairly active. Ideally, they had to follow orbital paths near the ecliptic plane, so that a rendezvous, prolonged survey and landing would be easier to achieve. Furthermore, the comet's flight into the inner Solar System had to coincide with the mission timeline of Rosetta, so that they both arrived in the right place at the right time for the historic rendezvous.

The favoured target for Rosetta was the periodic comet 46P/Wirtanen, but, after the launch was delayed, another regular visitor to the inner Solar System, 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, was selected as a suitable replacement.

ESA Science & Technology: Rosetta's target: comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko

Wow landing on a comet! Probably the most sophisticated space mission yet. America has all the money but at times Europe does something that shows who is the real master, the one who created the art in the first place.

No need for such sweeping statements dude, we will need to unite someday (as a species, not as nations into loose political organizations) if we want to conquer space.

Back
Top Bottom