What's new

COMET LANDING- Europe set to make space history today!!

@Audio

1. what are the two half-circles at the bottom of the picture?

2. is philae now in hibernation mode?? if so, is there any instrument that can work later without toppling philae??

@Audio

1. what are the two half-circles at the bottom of the picture?

2. is philae now in hibernation mode?? if so, is there any instrument that can work later without toppling philae??

1.) Camera field of view, i assume lens is in protective casing and the semi circles are outlines of that casing

2.) There is something working for sure as reports are coming in of "exciting data" whatever that means...drilling is in question until further data arrive, as far as i understand.

@levina that link you gave earlier... it shows how more or less grateful the american government was in technological collaboration with the soviet union... and i will go off-topic a bit, but the end of the book has a phrase from john le carre... have you read his novel "a perfect spy"?? it is a fine book.

@levina that link you gave earlier... it shows how more or less grateful the american government was in technological collaboration with the soviet union... and i will go off-topic a bit, but the end of the book has a phrase from john le carre... have you read his novel "a perfect spy"?? it is a fine book.
I havent.....Thanks!!
i would ask u this name again when i am free enough to read a book.It might be in the middle of nite when I'm done studying. Lol

Seems like things didn't go according to plans. The failure of the thruster that was supposed to ensure the lander doesn't bounce off caused all kinds of problems now, from the lack of exposure to Sun, for solar cells to recharge, to the fear that drilling might produce a reaction that will propel the lander back up again.
It's like Murphy's law in action, thruster failed, harpoon failed and drills on the legs apparently haven't drilled anything to anchor it.
We'll see in the next few days what happens....

View attachment 150963
Never thought the harpoon system would work properly myself. But look at those rocks, they look like basalt! That's not something you'd expect to see in a comet of "primordial" material. A lot of interesting science is going to come out of this alone.

Never thought the harpoon system would work properly myself. But look at those rocks, they look like basalt! That's not something you'd expect to see in a comet of "primordial" material. A lot of interesting science is going to come out of this alone.

so, where is the ice??

so, where is the ice??
Rosetta determined in July there was none, at least none near the surface: link

I surmise the mission may have been a gigantic "oops": rather than a primordial matter comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko is a collision fragment drawn into cometary orbit through repeated favorable encounters with Jupiter. Still, sometimes it's more exciting and rewarding to find what you didn't expect rather than what you did.

Rosetta determined in July there was none, at least none near the surface: link

thanks for the link... and can you tell me when did people decide this was a ice-covered comet??

I surmise the mission may have been a gigantic "oops": rather than a primordial matter comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko is a collision fragment drawn into cometary orbit through repeated favorable encounters with Jupiter.

you must be correct... you seem to understand in simple terms the astronomical systems...

Still, sometimes it's more exciting and rewarding to find what you didn't expect rather than what you did.

quite true... also, there is now more knowledge now on how to orbit a spaceship with a traveling and rotating object... also the mission should have carried some mechanism to push this "comet" into mars atmosphere... just to see what happens... :D

-------

@levina ^ the ice question...

"1 August 2014
ESA’s Rosetta spacecraft has made its first temperature measurements of its target comet, finding that it is too hot to be covered in ice and must instead have a dark, dusty crust."

Hey thanks!!!
I 've a feeling that Russians 're gonna be the next Germans. These cameras look so much more advanced.
Soviets were way ahead of Americans in the 70s when it came to space technology...I'd read it somewhere that soviets had better they had better docking devices and also that their space suits were made of better material.Infact there's an interesting story behind it...read it here
Can you believe that the computer used for Apollo's landing on the Moon had less computational power than a legacy calculator? Today's smartphones have a thousand times more power!

So how did they land on the Moon? Is there something that is not being told to us?

true... because the link capacity is space networking is generally kilobits/second... and image file sizes are large... so, data transmission and possible retransmission will take more time than sending a simple telemetry data packet.

that reminds me... i am interested in the supposed particle... "neutrino"... which is said to have no mass and so can pass through most matter... something like that... i don't know if a single neutrino has been detected yet...
Yes it was about neutrino's that can have tachyonic nature though it is a hypothetical particle and hasn't been proven to exist till date.
concept made qnx company to name their operating system's version 6 as "qnx neutrino"... qnx os is the world's best os... :-)
That's new to me,thanks.A quick search tells me that QNX software systems is now acquired by Blackberry now.
The high-quality transmission rate was 90 pixels per second, requiring about 6
hours to send a 1440×1440 image.
This was the case in 50-60's though we still have issues with transmission in space but things could change in the future perhaps....
Physicists have sent a beam of twisted light 3km through the air above Vienna.
It is the first time that information has been transmitted outdoors using the "twist" of a visible light beam.
This twisting property could allow very fast communication because light with different amounts of twist, encoding separate channels of information, could be sent simultaneously......
'Twisted light' beamed across Vienna - BBC News

Comet Probe Bounced Twice During Epic Landing: See Its 1st Photos

The article says that because the batteries get just 1.5hours of sunlight (not 6-7) so Philae might actually go into hibernation.....and might never wake up again. :(
Fingers crossed!!
I don't want this mission to fail now.
thanks for the link... and can you tell me when did people decide this was a ice-covered comet??
@levina ^ the ice question...
Researchers expected to see ice patches on the surface of the comet because of the body's distance from the sun. At the moment, that distance is so great that the sun can't warm ice on the comet's surface, which would turn it into water vapor; therefore, scientists thought there would be ice patches on the comet's surface, according to NASA.
Weird Comet Is Darker Than Charcoal, Rosetta Spacecraft Reveals

your questions on ice reminds me of this song :lol:

Can you believe that the computer used for Apollo's landing on the Moon had less computational power than a legacy calculator? Today's smartphones have a thousand times more power!

So how did they land on the Moon? Is there something that is not being told to us?
cold war era competition forced the Americans to stage their landing on moon...it was all made up.I'm so sure.
I know you also believe so. :)

64"]
cold war era competition forced the Americans to stage their landing on moon...it was all made up.I'm so sure.
I know you also believe so. :)
Is it because American flag was moving where there's no air or is it because the surface of the moon looked exactly like a place somewhere in nevada desert :D

Is it because American flag was moving where there's no air or is it because the surface of the moon looked exactly like a place somewhere in nevada desert :D
the shadows!!
...there could not have been 2 sources of light.And because of pics which were taken,they had camera djustments etc all make me doubtful. LOlzz

Comet Probe Bounced Twice During Epic Landing: See Its 1st Photos

The article says that because the batteries get just 1.5hours of sunlight (not 6-7) so Philae might actually go into hibernation.....and might never wake up again. :(
Fingers crossed!!
Some more things to know...
The lander also appears to have only two of its three feet on the ground, raising questions about whether it can drill without tipping over or pushing itself off into space.
The probe could try to use its landing gear to hop out of the shadows but ESA will need to know more exactly where it is before attempting the risky maneuver, said scientists at the ESA
But harpoons to anchor it to the surface failed to deploy and it bounced twice before floating to rest two hours later.
the probe has ended up in the shadow of a cliff, about a kilometer (0.6 miles) from its intended resting place, said European Space Agency (ESA)
Scientists hope that samples drilled from the comet by Philae will unlock details about how the planets – and possibly even life – evolved. The rock and ice that make up comets preserve ancient organic molecules like a time capsule.
Scientist would have their heart in their mouth,i would have a heartattack if were a scientist at ESA watching that thing tip over :D
the shadows!!
...there could not have been 2 sources of light.And because of pics which were
taken,they had camera djustments etc all make me doubtful. LOlzz
Yep all of this was shown in a documantry as well,they do make it sound like it was all fake,but if it really had happend then there should still be an American flag and a boot marks around the landing site,let a chinese or an Indian probe land on the moon and bust the Americans :D

the shadows!!
...there could not have been 2 sources of light.And because of pics which were taken,they had camera djustments etc all make me doubtful. LOlzz
Check out these images which I posted on another website - faked Moon images! I managed to find these anomalies after hours of studying the images taken by Apollo astronauts. Notice the duplicates on them, which I have colored?

The question is, why would NASA fake them? Here....

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom