What's new

Classic Pakistan Air Force Documentary

Despite being 30-40 years old, this is probably the best written and best composed Pakistan Air Force documentary to-date (given the constraints of media technology in Pakistan at the time).

@Trailer23 @Falcon26 @SQ8

Many times better than the cheesy nonsensical videos we are getting to see these days.

Thanks for posting. Wish the airforce could produce more of such quality material instead of allowing every Tom,dick and harry to dance infront on an aircraft.

'They don't make 'em like this anymore'

Thank you for posting this great historical assett. It has a very Cold War-esque feel to it, a lot like the British or US documentaries from the 1950s and 60s.

The documentaries made today have more jingoistic vibes to them rather than any substance - just endless series of special effects, flying sequences and songs (that are a bit cheesy).

But I guess this is a reflection of the more publicity driven nature of all media productions today. Back in the day likes, shares, comments, Twitter trends and TRPs didn't matter much.

I get into nostalgia always... like Karachi was a happy place in 80s, no MQM.. and way less debt.
Anyway, quality always come when you spend time and effort in a project. In today's SMS and news bulletin world, quantity and speed is preferred than quality. Be it academia/music/movies /literature etc.
Also I was just watching "To the Sea, a sidewinder 50 years... " ;)

Very well made. Joy to watch. I suspect a foreign company was contracted to to make this by PAF. The narrator is certainly British. And many thanks for sharing.

Despite being 30-40 years old, this is probably the best written and best composed Pakistan Air Force documentary to-date (given the constraints of media technology in Pakistan at the time).

The music 😅😅😅
Very well made. Joy to watch. I suspect a foreign company was contracted to to make this by PAF. The narrator is certainly British. And many thanks for sharing.
Many people speak the "Queen's english" in Pakistan. Not just East London paan shop production like you 😅

Unfortunately we don't make such videos now. Even the songs of that time are far inspiring and beautifully composed

The narrator was Aslam Azhar.

This was a local project. Just a sign that Pakistanis can do really well if we put the right people in charge.

The narrator was Aslam Azhar.

This was a local project. Just a sign that Pakistanis can do really well if we put the right people in charge.

Amazing. So they could do this 40 years ago? Have you seen the rubbish today. Something went wrong.
East London paan shop
This tells us your from some Ganga hell hole. I have seen Paan in London and it's mostly filthy Biharis, Bengalis that chew that shit. Your one of them.

Amazing. So they could do this 40 years ago? Have you seen the rubbish today. Something went wrong.
Yep. In terms of media, those who weren't trained, educated, or even exposed to current trends are in charge of our projects. The question is: why them? IMHO, a general has no business running ISPR (besides managing its policies and setting direction), directing music videos and documentaries, or being a showman.

Speaking of showmen, did anyone spot the narrator in the video? He wasn't there. The production team let the content take center stage. Such a huge difference in mentality, focus, etc.

Do you ever get the feeling that the older generation of Pakistanis, especially those from the 1950s-1980s had an impeccable command of the English language and perhaps, were even more professional?

Can you imagine the current crop of Pakistanis initiating something like the nuclear program today? It seems to me that Pakistanis have progressively became regressive, paranoid and uncritical.

Do you ever get the feeling that the older generation of Pakistanis, especially those from the 1950s-1980s had an impeccable command of the English language and perhaps, were even more professional?

Can you imagine the current crop of Pakistanis initiating something like the nuclear program today? It seems to me that Pakistanis have progressively became regressive, paranoid and uncritical.
IMO ... Pakistanis as a whole didn't go backwards, it's just that the leadership in Pakistan has gone backwards because they excluded the forward-looking types. So what you see in the old PAF documentary is an example of the "right leaders" at the time of the older generation.

However, the capable Pakistanis of today aren't managing Pakistan, but contributing to the benefit of other countries, such as the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Norway, Germany, etc -- we were (and still are) excluded from running Pakistan.

To illustrate this point. My maternal grandfather was studying in the US at the time of Partition. In 1948, a Pakistani mission invited him and others to a private event in DC. There, this mission said, "how would you like to manage XYZ?" The folks (all PhD candidates in various fields) who got the invites were offered spots in the nascent nuclear program, agriculture policy development, higher education, and even to manage UK and US aid programs.

Now contrast this with CPEC.

If you re-inject competent Pakistanis into leadership (at scale), you'll start seeing positive change very quickly.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa)
This is gem of a video. Great find. It has that...70's theme/feel to it with that background music which nowadays may seem a bit cheezy.

But someone mentioned that todays videos are cheezy with little information being passed on.

Honest to God, I don't know what is the deal with our Filmmakers. They are too busy copying Indian Movies and not doing something for the Nation. If someone wants to see a special on the Wildlife of Pakistan has to probably tune into National Geographic because we don't produce anything for the public.

By todays standards, if anyone wants to get people involved and take an interest in our Military needs to produce something like Netflix's Formula 1 (Drive to Survive). Now THAT is what I call production, not this candy@ss crap we are relegated to from time to time.

I wish there was a A-Grade filmmaker passionate about the Airforce to do a R-E-A-L Documentary.

Cinematography..., where the camera is set while interviewing someone is the key. You can't put the camera as if they are being interviewed at f#*kin' studio at GeoTV.

But its asking too much. We will NEVER change. Its just like the Press Conferences that take place - always seem to have some random supporters standing around the person speaking to the channels.

IMO ... Pakistanis as a whole didn't go backwards, it's just that the leadership in Pakistan has gone backwards because they excluded the forward-looking types. So what you see in the old PAF documentary is an example of the "right leaders" at the time of the older generation.

However, the capable Pakistanis of today aren't managing Pakistan, but contributing to the benefit of other countries, such as the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Norway, Germany, etc -- we were (and still are) excluded from running Pakistan.

To illustrate this point. My maternal grandfather was studying in the US at the time of Partition. In 1948, a Pakistani mission invited him and others to a private event in DC. There, this mission said, "how would you like to manage XYZ?" The folks (all PhD candidates in various fields) who got the invites were offered spots in the nascent nuclear program, agriculture policy development, higher education, and even to manage UK and US aid programs.

Now contrast this with CPEC.

If you re-inject competent Pakistanis into leadership (at scale), you'll start seeing positive change very quickly.

Stories like this kill a part of me everyday.

The truth is that Pakistan is firmly under the grip of a deep state. And no, this is not the Establishment per se. It is all of those mafias, those vested interests, land grabbers, sugar barons, wheat kings, media supremos, white-collar criminals, treacherous judges, corrupt bureaucrats and sold-out military men who are all in this together.

Pakistan is the cow. All of these mentioned above are milking it dry. They have a stake in ensuring that the forward-thinking, competent types remain excluded from running Pakistan. They are so firmly entrenched in the fabric of our society that no one can do anything about it.

The biggest beneficiary of CPEC (the so called gamechanger for the nation) is not the young first-generation college graduate who completed his degree at the nation's 'finest' university (which again is run by a retired general). The biggest beneficiary is the FWO, the SCO, the NLC, a certain F_uji Cement.

All of these organizations mentioned above are run by retired generals too.

Seems like it is clear as to who our real rulers actually are.

یہ وطن تمہارا ہے ہم ہیں خوامخواں اس میں

I cannot verify but there are segments which are tell tale signs of CameraPix - late friend Mohammad Amin's work in this footage. Just have a look at Defenders of Pakistan, you will see a lot of similarities

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom