What's new

Chittagong vs Kolkata

INS Kolkata is based in Mumbai not Kolkata, which is the largest ship with a home port of Kolkata?

In Chittagong it's BNS Bangabandhu

Bangladesh_Navy_Ship_Bangabandhu_(F-25).jpg

Kolkata comes under Eastern Command..

Flagship is Jalashwa(until Viky comes under Eastern Command)

url

we also have some 5 Rajput Class Destroyers,3 Shivalik Class Frigates,3 Godavari Class Frigates,3 Kora Class Corvettes and such..

120414-N-ZI635-400.jpg

Malabar_2012_INS_Satpura_%28F-48%29.jpg

url

url

Enough Firepower to flatten Bangladesh.. :D

Kolkata comes under Eastern Command..

Flagship is Jalashwa(until Viky comes under Eastern Command)

url

we also have some 5 Rajput Class Destroyers,3 Shivalik Class Frigates,3 Godavari Class Frigates,3 Kora Class Corvettes and such..

120414-N-ZI635-400.jpg

Malabar_2012_INS_Satpura_%28F-48%29.jpg

url

url

Enough Firepower to flatten Bangladesh.. :D

All these are based in Vishkhapatnam not Kolkata. Is there any Naval base in Kolkata?

Both are major port cities in South Asia with good contribution to their national economies.

Chittagong has a rich history, being the economic center of Bengal for centuries. The harbor of Chittagong was well known to the Europeans and was mentioned as one of the finest harbors in the East by Ptolemy . In the 16th century, Portuguese arrived in the city and named it as 'Porto Grand de Bengala' or the great port of Bengal. Chittagong is now regarded as the commercial capital of Bangladesh. Economy of Chittagong is mainly dominated by steel, ship building, textile etc.

Kolkata's establishment as a major city dates back to the 17th century with the arrival of the British Empire in India. Kolkata was the capital of British India and was the wealthiest city in the sub continent till the early 20th century. At present, Kolkata plays a prominent role in the economy of Eastern India. Kolkata's economy is largely led by the growth of the IT industry.

GDP (ppp)

Chittagong - $174.06 Billion
Economy of Chittagong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kolkata - $150 Billion
Economy of Kolkata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Annual port handling

Cargo handling

Chittagong - 49.917 million tons (2012-13)
Cargo Handling Statistics | Chittagong Port Authority

Kolkata - 41.386 million tons (2013-14)
Cargo Statistics-Kolkata Port Trust

Container handling
Chittagong - 1,468,713 TEUs (2012-13)
Containers Handling Statistics of Chittagong Port | Chittagong Port Authority

Kolkata - 562,020 TEUs (2013-14)
http://www.kolkataporttrust.gov.in/showfile.php?layout=2&lang=1&lid=1284

@Rain Man @Maira La @Bilal9 @bongbang @Doyalbaba and others, please share more info about these two cities.

What an embarrassment! Your Dhaka can be considered with our Burdwan (only it is just bigger), not even Durgapur, and forget about Kolkata. And Chittagong whatt?

You are fudging data, comparing 2010 data with 2015 data of yours, that too PPP. Comparing figures of your whole district with a city, what next? :P And Kolkata is not our major port, Haldia is!! And port is not our prime business.

You want to compare modern amenities of a city? Public transport, infrastructure, modern industries, buildings, shopping malls, multiplexes, hospitals, schools, colleges, universities, centres of professional education and research, information technology, etc.? I suggest you combine both Dhaka and Chittagong and come against Kolkata...and see where you stand. :-) I will post the details in the late evening, not now.

Amusing thread. As an Indian, I am happy if BD develops. But nominal GDP of Chittagong is $40 billion, Cal is $150 billion. Lest we forget - for close to 150 years, Calcutta was the capital of British India. You should compare apples and apples, not oranges. The nominal GDP of BD is $209 billion - how is it possible that $170+ billion is from Chittagong?

All these are based in Vishkhapatnam not Kolkata. Is there any Naval base in Kolkata?

who told you that?? :rofl:

there are 5 major bases in ENC..

Kolkata,Paradip,Tuticorin,Vishakhapatnam and Chennai along with A&N.INS Varsha is coming.

it consists some 55 vessels(its Navy and not Coast Guard)..

the pictures I posted are the major surface combatants of this fleet.

and Every ships gets docked here and there..There is no Fixed base.what do you think other bases are for?

who told you that?? :rofl:

there are 5 major bases in ENC..

Kolkata,Paradip,Tuticorin,Vishakhapatnam and Chennai along with A&N.INS Varsha is coming.

it consists some 55 vessels(its Navy and not Coast Guard)..

the pictures I posted are the major surface combatants of this fleet.

and Every ships gets docked here and there..There is no Fixed base.what do you think other bases are for?

Your surface combatants as well as nuclear and non-nuclear subs have been deployed for tackling the Chinese sub threat in the Bay of Bengal. I don't know how we came into the picture.

And Naval combatants are off topic in this thread...

Your surface combatants as well as nuclear and non-nuclear subs have been deployed for tackling the Chinese sub threat in the Bay of Bengal. I don't know how we came into the picture.

And Naval combatants are off topic in this thread...

You never know what we evil Indians are planning!! :D

Chittagong is connected to the capital of Bangladesh by a 2 lane highway & a meter gauge railway line.Too bad.

Dhaka Chittagong 4 lane road network is already there. We are talking about 6 and 8 lane roads in places which isnt complete yet. And Dhaka Chittagong has dual gauge rail networks with double line in places.

Dhaka Chittagong 4 lane road network is already there. We are talking about 6 and 8 lane roads in places which isnt complete yet. And Dhaka Chittagong has dual gauge rail networks with double line in places.

links ?

Both rail and roads are on going project and will be complete by 2016 as far as i know.

Amusing thread. As an Indian, I am happy if BD develops. But nominal GDP of Chittagong is $40 billion, Cal is $150 billion. Lest we forget - for close to 150 years, Calcutta was the capital of British India. You should compare apples and apples, not oranges. The nominal GDP of BD is $209 billion - how is it possible that $170+ billion is from Chittagong?
Entire West Bengal nominal gdp is around 100 billion.How come Kolkata have 150 billion?
174 billion is gdp ppp for Chittagong,not nominal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom