What's new

Chinese company leaves Muslim-tracking facial recognition database exposed online

enquencher

Reaction score
Country
India
Researcher finds one of the databases used to track Uyghur Muslim population in Xinjiang.

By Catalin Cimpanu for Zero Day | February 14, 2019 -- 18:17 GMT (23:47 IST) | Topic: Security

sensenets.jpg

One of the facial recognition databases that the Chinese government is using to track the Uyghur Muslim population in the Xinjiang region has been left open on the internet for months, a Dutch security researcher told ZDNet.

The database belongs to a Chinese company named SenseNets, which according to its website provides video-based crowd analysis and facial recognition technology.

Yesterday, Victor Gevers, a well-known security researcher that made a name for himself in the past few years by finding leaky MongoDB databases did what he does best and found one of SenseNets' MongoDB databases that had been left exposed online without authentication.

Gevers told ZDNet that the database contained information on 2,565724 users, along with a stream of GPS coordinates that came in at a rapid pace.

The user data wasn't just benign usernames, but highly detailed and highly sensitive information that someone would usually find on an ID card, Gevers said. The researcher saw user profiles with information such as names, ID card numbers, ID card issue date, ID card expiration date, sex, nationality, home addresses, dates of birth, photos, and employer.

For each user, there was also a list of GPS coordinates, locations where that user had been seen.

The database also contained a list of "trackers" and associated GPS coordinates. Based on the company's website, these trackers appear to be the locations of public cameras from where video had been captured and was being analyzed.

Some of the descriptive names associated with the "trackers" contained terms such as "mosque," "hotel," "police station," "internet cafe," "restaurant," and other places where public cameras would normally be found.

gevers-camera-locations.png

The location of some of the SenseNets trackers

Image: Victor Gevers
Gevers told ZDNet that these coordinates were all located in China's Xinjiang province, the home of China's Uyghur Muslim minority population.

The company did not respond to a request for comment before this article's publication.

The most common conclusion is that SenseNets is a government contractor, helping authorities track the Muslim minority, rather than a private company selling its product to another private entity. Otherwise, it would be hard to explain how SenseNets has access to ID card information and camera feeds from police stations and other government buildings.

Gevers said he now regrets helping the company secure its oppression tool.

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/ar...ng-facial-recognition-database-exposed-online

Researcher finds one of the databases used to track Uyghur Muslim population in Xinjiang.

By Catalin Cimpanu for Zero Day | February 14, 2019 -- 18:17 GMT (23:47 IST) | Topic: Security

sensenets.jpg

One of the facial recognition databases that the Chinese government is using to track the Uyghur Muslim population in the Xinjiang region has been left open on the internet for months, a Dutch security researcher told ZDNet.

The database belongs to a Chinese company named SenseNets, which according to its website provides video-based crowd analysis and facial recognition technology.

Yesterday, Victor Gevers, a well-known security researcher that made a name for himself in the past few years by finding leaky MongoDB databases did what he does best and found one of SenseNets' MongoDB databases that had been left exposed online without authentication.

Gevers told ZDNet that the database contained information on 2,565724 users, along with a stream of GPS coordinates that came in at a rapid pace.

The user data wasn't just benign usernames, but highly detailed and highly sensitive information that someone would usually find on an ID card, Gevers said. The researcher saw user profiles with information such as names, ID card numbers, ID card issue date, ID card expiration date, sex, nationality, home addresses, dates of birth, photos, and employer.

For each user, there was also a list of GPS coordinates, locations where that user had been seen.

The database also contained a list of "trackers" and associated GPS coordinates. Based on the company's website, these trackers appear to be the locations of public cameras from where video had been captured and was being analyzed.

Some of the descriptive names associated with the "trackers" contained terms such as "mosque," "hotel," "police station," "internet cafe," "restaurant," and other places where public cameras would normally be found.

gevers-camera-locations.png

The location of some of the SenseNets trackers

Image: Victor Gevers
Gevers told ZDNet that these coordinates were all located in China's Xinjiang province, the home of China's Uyghur Muslim minority population.

The company did not respond to a request for comment before this article's publication.

The most common conclusion is that SenseNets is a government contractor, helping authorities track the Muslim minority, rather than a private company selling its product to another private entity. Otherwise, it would be hard to explain how SenseNets has access to ID card information and camera feeds from police stations and other government buildings.

Gevers said he now regrets helping the company secure its oppression tool.

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/ar...ng-facial-recognition-database-exposed-online

This is a problem with the whole Chinese political system.

It has no checks on power, so the people at the top can do horrendous things like the Great Leap Forward, and Cultural Revolution.

I fear that if the people at the top of CCP aren't right, then this can lead to horrific abuses, and a really dystopian and authoritarian state.

It has no checks on power, so the people at the top can do horrendous things like the Great Leap Forward, and Cultural Revolution.

I fear that if the people at the top of CCP aren't right, then this can lead to horrific abuses, and a really dystopian and authoritarian state.

@TaiShang @Han Patriot

This must be like heaven for the top elite in CCP, they can get away with anything but an average Chinese citizen is nothing but a figure that can be wiped off the slate for their social engineering experiments.

Wait... Jewish propaganda told me every single Muslim in Xinjiang was in reeducation camps already. So why are there Muslims running around in public according to this propaganda?

Wait... Jewish propaganda told me every single Muslim in Xinjiang was in reeducation camps already. So why are there Muslims running around in public according to this propaganda?

Every single? The number I have heard claimed in non-chinese (western, turkish etc) media is 1 million at most in various detention camps. 1 million out of 10 million is not 100% last time I checked.

@damm1t @xenon54 @T-123456 @cabatli_53 @Dai Toruko

As long as it's China, higher and sweeter friends will look other way. Some may say some encouraging words for China as well.

Wonderful. Although the leak itself is technically embarrassing, it serves a useful political purpose: it's a reminder to the terrorists and separatists that there's no getting away. They are seen, always.

China's eyes never shut.

As long as it's China, higher and sweeter friends will look other way. Some may say some encouraging words for China as well.
China has you to thank for that. If India weren't threatening Pakistan's existence then Pakistan wouldn't be this close to China. The relationship is "higher and sweeter" because you made it so. How kind of you.

Call more Türds here, I'm not done cr*pping on them. :lol:

@TaiShang @Han Patriot
Calm down Buss, you think CIA doesn't have this technology? Indian deaths due to political incompetence until today is more than great leap forward or cultural rev combined.

Calm down Buss, you think CIA doesn't have this technology? Indian deaths due to political incompetence until today is more than great leap forward or cultural rev combined.

It's not about the technology. It's about who uses it, and who gets to use it.

USA has a lot of checks and balances, with 3 independent levels of the state, along with a free press, and activism. Abuses in US happen less frequently and at a much smaller scale.

It's not about the technology. It's about who uses it, and who gets to use it.

USA has a lot of checks and balances, with 3 independent levels of the state, along with a free press, and activism. Abuses in US happen less frequently and at a much smaller scale.
US maybe, what about India? My point is we have the technology and our human rights record is actually only slightly worse than India. You think Modi doesn't want our tech?

I just found some cobble stones Chinese police uses to walk on while on duty to protect Chinese citizen.

Where do I get my Bloomberg newsarticle about Muslim-tracking communist cobble stones of communism? Did I mention Communism and the CCP yet?

Back
Top Bottom