What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

Almost a hundred pages of rumors, boasts, bashing, arguments, etc. But when something exciting has finally happened, thread is silent.

Well, since it is no surprise! You surely remember that strange stupid guy who was claiming for months, the J-20 would use WS-15 engines with TVC and 275 kN since day one. Now he has been confirmed And he surely will tell us all he was right and will demand an excuse. :rofl:

If true indeed a major breakthrough 😮 ... can't wait to see the first J-20 with that engine!

According to this news, the "WS-15 is in mass production ... One of project leader from state-owned AECC Group disclosed in this video (at 00:27) recorded during his speech at a material contest presentation that the WS-15 aeroengine is now in mass Production!"

He also spoke of 5th Gen (6th Gen) engine 😳

He also spoke of 5th Gen (6th Gen) engine 😳

Yes ...

1679903152952.png

1679903094633.png

Even the engine seems to be couple of years away, considering it’s timeline to be roughly the same as WS19.
There is no indication on the timeline but considered it complication. I would say somewhere early 2030s at least.

If true indeed a major breakthrough 😮 ... can't wait to see the first J-20 with that engine!

According to this news, the "WS-15 is in mass production ... One of project leader from state-owned AECC Group disclosed in this video (at 00:27) recorded during his speech at a material contest presentation that the WS-15 aeroengine is now in mass Production!"

Did he mentioned the WS-19 has also achieved some level of serial production or that work is still ongoing to reach maturity of the WS-19?

I didn’t quite understand that part.

It could really help open up more JF-17 sales if the jet has an engine that matches the Gripen NG’s F414. And would allow the JF-17 to act as a trainer when it has the same engine as the J-35 when it is cleared for export. In the case of a country like Argentina, if they could afford it it, the combination would be the best option to deal with the Eurofighters and Royal Navy’s F-35Bs.

Also, is the Y-20B expected to now go into mass production now that an engine has reached maturity? Besides transports, future AWACS and Tanker aircraft will be needed in large numbers if proper projection is an upcoming goal of the PLA, especially vis a vi overseas investments and workers.

9 Chinese workers killed in Central African Republic.

Highlighted the parts related to engines to keep on topic, but giving background information to give context for my question.

Last edited:
Did he mentioned the WS-19 has also achieved some level of serial production or that work is still ongoing to reach maturity of the WS-19?

I didn’t quite understand that part.

It could really help open up more JF-17 sales if the jet has an engine that matches the Gripen NG’s F414. And would allow the JF-17 to act as a trainer when it has the same engine as the J-35 when it is cleared for export. In the case of a country like Argentina, if they could afford it it, the combination would be the best option to deal with the Eurofighters and Royal Navy’s F-35Bs.

Also, is the Y-20B expected to now go into mass production now that an engine has reached maturity? Besides transports, future AWACS and Tanker aircraft will be needed in large numbers if proper projection is an upcoming goal of the PLA, especially vis a vi overseas investments and workers.

9 Chinese workers killed in Central African Republic.

Highlighted the parts related to engines to keep on topic, but giving background information to give context for my question.

Design for WS-19 is not fixed yet so they are making changes to the material/composition even as we speak. It is, however, using a new computer aided design process and supposedly is progressing much faster than anticipated as per the chief designer. It may end up being the first turbofan that China doesn’t struggle with during the development process.

Design for WS-19 is not fixed yet so they are making changes to the material/composition even as we speak. It is, however, using a new computer aided design process and supposedly is progressing much faster than anticipated as per the chief designer. It may end up being the first turbofan that China doesn’t struggle with during the development process.
Do we know if the WS-19 or the WS-21 is the planned final engine for the J-35? Also what is the expected performance of this final engine? Finally, what is the timeframe this engine is expected to reach mass production, with this faster pace, especially considering the technology in the WS-15 has reach the level of mass production and could the basis for the technology in the WS-19/21 I assume?

Do we know if the WS-19 or the WS-21 is the planned final engine for the J-35? Also what is the expected performance of this final engine? Finally, what is the timeframe this engine is expected to reach mass production, with this faster pace, especially considering the technology in the WS-15 has reach the level of mass production and could the basis for the technology in the WS-19/21 I assume?
WS-19. WS-21 is not even in the same league.

WS-21 is supposedly a variant of the WS-13. Though there must be enough changes to warrant a different type name -- when the WS-10 series had gone through tremendous changes in its variants without any of them be given a new type moniker.

WS-21 should be thought of in the same vein as the WS-10C is for the J-20. It is an interim engine.

WS-19 is the intended medium engine designed from the ground up for FC-31/J-35/JF-17.

Tech level would mean the WS-21 incorporates the latest WS-10 tech while WS-19 would be WS-15 's and even more. WS-19 is not finalized. Advancements even beyond the WS-15 can still be incorporated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom