What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

If wee see F119 numbers, I would say WS15 is still not quite there yet. The F119 intermediate power (which is actually a very important specs) is 116KN which WS 15 is 105.22 kN. F119 lifetime is 12000 hours (another important benchmark).

General characteristics​

• Type: Twin-spool, axial-flow augmented turbofan
  • Length: 203 in (516 cm)
  • Diameter: Approx. 46 in (117 cm)
  • Dry weight: 3,900 lb (1,769 kg)

Components​

Performance​

• Maximum thrust:
    • 26,000 lbf (116 kN) (military/intermediate power)
    • >35,000 lbf (156 kN) (with afterburner)
  • Turbine inlet temperature: 3,000 °F (1,649 °C; 1,922 K)
  • Thrust-to-weight ratio: 6.7:1 (intermediate), 9.0:1 (afterburning)

I start a thread on Chinese Jet Engine, which is on the eve of overtaking US. Lets start with WS-15. The WS-15 is now on mass production.

The widely circulated non official specs in the internet is 181.3 KN thrust with after burner. lifetime Endurance 4000 hours of flight.

Below from wiki.

General characteristics​

• Type: Afterburning turbofan
  • Length: 5.05m
  • Diameter: 1.02m
  • Dry weight: 1701.5 kg

Components​

• Compressor: axial flow
  • Combustors: nickel alloy annular combustion chamber
  • Turbine: single-stage high pressure, single-stage low pressure

Performance​

Hi,

The title should read---CHINESE FIGHTER AIRCRAFT ENGINE---.

I work on an Excel for comparison. WS15 is quite close to F119 -- about 90% but not just there yet.

Nevertheless, if we just talk about aerodynamic alone, J20 would win F22, F35 in overall system engineering.

And overall capability, J20 would be the best fighter in the world today, if we factor in avionics, sensors, EW, aerodynamic and ranges.

This is another big topic which I may slowly discuss in future.

WS15 (J20)F119 (F22)F135 (F35)
Dry weight (kg)1701.517691700
Bypass ratio0.250.30.57
Thrust with afterburner (KN)181.37156191
Intermediate thrust (KN)105.22116125
life (hours)40001200012000
Thrust-to-weight ratio6.3 - 10.876.7 - 97.47 - 11.47

Last edited:
I start a thread on Chinese Jet Engine, which is on the eve of overtaking US. Lets start with WS-15. The WS-15 is now on mass production.

The widely circulated non official specs in the internet is 181.3 KN thrust with after burner. lifetime Endurance 4000 hours of flight.

Below from wiki.

General characteristics​

• Type: Afterburning turbofan
  • Length: 5.05m
  • Diameter: 1.02m
  • Dry weight: 1701.5 kg

Components​

• Compressor: axial flow
  • Combustors: nickel alloy annular combustion chamber
  • Turbine: single-stage high pressure, single-stage low pressure

Performance​

No need for a new thread only based on Wiki and rumours when there is already a dedicated thread! Therefore merged!

J-10S & WS-10
16237346_391f583bab8261def6c0a706aa14097a.jpg

Via http://www.mod.gov.cn/gfbw/wzll/jt_214059/16237346.html

Xi encourages aero engine workers to contribute to greater self-reliance in science, technology​

Source: Xinhua
Editor: huaxia
2023-09-02 17:19:15

BEIJING, Sept. 2 (Xinhua) -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, has encouraged workers from an assembly factory of aero engines to promote the ethos of model workers and high standards of craftsmanship, and contribute to the country's realization of greater self-reliance and strength in science and technology.

Xi, also Chinese president and chairman of the Central Military Commission, made the remarks in a letter replying to eight representatives of staff and workers from the assembly factory affiliated with Aero Engine Corporation of China.

China has made substantial advances in the field of aero engines, exploring a new path of independent innovation and development in recent years, Xi noted in the replying letter, saying that receiving the letter reminded him of the moments when talking with the workers at their workshop 10 years ago.

Stressing that the aero engine is an important manifestation of a country's scientific and technological strength and capacity for innovation, Xi urged them to strive for breakthroughs in core technologies in key fields and accelerate the pace of independent research in this regard.

In their letter to Xi, the eight representatives reported the achievements made in technological innovation and the development of aero engines in the past decade, expressing their determination to contribute to building China into a leading country in aviation.

Xi encourages aero engine workers to contribute to greater self-reliance in science, technology​

Source: Xinhua
Editor: huaxia
2023-09-02 17:19:15

BEIJING, Sept. 2 (Xinhua) -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, has encouraged workers from an assembly factory of aero engines to promote the ethos of model workers and high standards of craftsmanship, and contribute to the country's realization of greater self-reliance and strength in science and technology.

Xi, also Chinese president and chairman of the Central Military Commission, made the remarks in a letter replying to eight representatives of staff and workers from the assembly factory affiliated with Aero Engine Corporation of China.

China has made substantial advances in the field of aero engines, exploring a new path of independent innovation and development in recent years, Xi noted in the replying letter, saying that receiving the letter reminded him of the moments when talking with the workers at their workshop 10 years ago.

Stressing that the aero engine is an important manifestation of a country's scientific and technological strength and capacity for innovation, Xi urged them to strive for breakthroughs in core technologies in key fields and accelerate the pace of independent research in this regard.

In their letter to Xi, the eight representatives reported the achievements made in technological innovation and the development of aero engines in the past decade, expressing their determination to contribute to building China into a leading country in aviation.

Very impressive work on j10p. Engine is very quite and turbine temperatures never exceed turbine temperatures of RD engines. Axel is very swift and sweet. Remarkable work at par with Pratt & Witney.

Very impressive work on j10p. Engine is very quite and turbine temperatures never exceed turbine temperatures of RD engines. Axel is very swift and sweet. Remarkable work at par with Pratt & Witney.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any details on engine maintenance (MTBO)?

@Deino thoughts? Accurate?

I must admit I don't know and in principle, @messiach surely knows much more than me.
However in recent years his/her posts have become much rarer and even more less substantial. I remember the final controversial dispute I remember were claims, the JF-17C Block 3 would have a totally new wing with deeper profile, a refined rear section most of all due to a different engine. In all three points I disagreed and instead of explaining - maybe by adding images for comparison - it ended in more or less "I know better".

As such IMO his/her credibility got a severe crack but still ...

I must admit I don't know and in principle, @messiach surely knows much more than me.
However in recent years his/her posts have become much rarer and even more less substantial. I remember the final controversial dispute I remember were claims, the JF-17C Block 3 would have a totally new wing with deeper profile, a refined rear section most of all due to a different engine. In all three points I disagreed and instead of explaining - maybe by adding images for comparison - it ended in more or less "I know better".

As such IMO his/her credibility got a severe crack but still ...

Yes, that’s what I thought as well. I remember that incident quite well. That and few other bizarre claims, not sure if intentional or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom