What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

Just review local production of AI-322(WS-17)yesterday. It began for small production from the end of 2019, and mass production from early 2021

wow! The ones used on Hongdu JL-10. So current production of JL-10 are equipped with domestic engines?

Just review local production of AI-322(WS-17)yesterday. It began for small production from the end of 2019, and mass production from early 2021

Really? I never heard about local production, at least no proof. What’s your source?

wow! The ones used on Hongdu JL-10. So current production of JL-10 are equipped with domestic engines?
Before the Russo-Ukrainian war, it is from 3 sources: Motor Sich, Salut and Liyang; or at least some important components are imported abroad. I think Motor Sich has been kicked out from the supply chain now.

Before the Russo-Ukrainian war, it is from 3 sources: Motor Sich, Salut and Liyang; or at least some important components are imported abroad. I think Motor Sich has been kicked out from the supply chain now.

I thought it was originally 331‘s WS-11 project.

Finally officially confirmed!!

A J-20 fitted with WS-15 has already taken its maiden flight. Apparently the speaker in that video is a famous academician from the Chinese Academy of Engineering. He is allegedly specialized in turbofan engines.

Video by @星辰大海SLC on Bilibili.

A J-20 fitted with WS-15 has already taken its maiden flight. Apparently the speaker in that video is a famous academician from the Chinese Academy of Engineering. He is allegedly specialized in turbofan engines.

I think people who understand Mandarin Chinese should listen to the whole presentation. A lot of valuable information about turbofan engine/large body aircraft. The fact that Liu Daxiang is so optimistic about engine progress (that China will be first tier in 3 to 5 years) is very encouraging, considering the fact that he is always very forthcoming about shortcomings of China's turbofan development process. If I recall correctly he leaked in his book some of the problems encountered during the WS-15 development process (fan blade failure/engine explosion) and he was especially critical of AVIC's management style. I guess the process has been refined/reformed in the seven years following 2015.

He is the chief engineer of WS-15 at pre-research stage.

I don't think that translation is correct. He said "it's not in service yet, but it made maiden flight already".

I don't think they would use J-20 as a test bed.

I don't think that translation is correct. He said "it's not in service yet, but it made maiden flight already".

I don't think they would use J-20 as a test bed.

But we’ve seen photos of a J-20 prototype (2016) flying with a new engine last year. There are also numerous eyewitness accounts noting the sound is very different.

But we’ve seen photos of a J-20 prototype (2016) flying with a new engine last year. There are also numerous eyewitness accounts noting the sound is very different.
I suspect that's WS-10C rather than WS-15.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom