What's new

China to upgrade radar of Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter aircraft

BRAVO_

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
China will upgrade Pakistan Air Force JF-17 Thunder multirole combat aircraft with the KLJ-7A active electronically scanned-array (AESA) radar, according to a 28 March report by the China Daily newspaper.

Hu Mingchun, head of the Nanjing Research Institute of Electronics Technology (NRIET) in Jiangsu province, was quoted by the state-owned paper as saying that the newest version of the KLJ-7 fire-control radar (FCR) will substantially improve the combat capabilities of the aircraft.

“Our product will tremendously extend the fighter jet’s detection range, giving it a much longer sight that will help it detect the enemy’s aircraft before they do; and this is very important, because in real combat if you see first, you fire first,” he said.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options at ihs.com/contact

http://www.janes.com/article/78911/china-to-upgrade-radar-of-pakistan-s-jf-17-fighter-aircraft

So all jf17 will have AESA...that is substantial news.. This will make jf17 extremely potent. Also will be used not only for defense but offence as well. So by 2020 you will have 100 plus jf17 with AESA. It truly becomes a beast from a cub. Happy times...

Is this news for sure about Block I and II getting KLJ7A?
...on PDF I've heard things ranging from not enough power, not enough room, nose cone not big enough etc. Don't know how true these things are

If this is the case however, I assume that KLJ7A has been finalized for Block III...there was someone saying that it's between this and some other Chinese AESA radar for Block III.

Is this news for sure about Block I and II getting KLJ7A?
...on PDF I've heard things ranging from not enough power, not enough room, nose cone not big enough etc. Don't know how true these things are

If this is the case however, I assume that KLJ7A has been finalized for Block III...there was someone saying that it's between this and some other Chinese AESA radar for Block III.

If they can make it dual seat, they can do anything with the nose.

A top Chinese researcher has revealed details of the active electronically scanning array (AESA) phase array radar meant for the JF-17 fighter jet being manufactured in Pakistan under a Pakistani-Chinese partnership.

The radar is a part of the Block III upgrade of the JF-17 whose design has been concluded and will likely enter serial production in the 2020-22 timeframe.

Hu Mingchun, head of China’s leading radar manufacturer, the Nanjing Research Institute of Electronics Technology in Jiangsu province said that the KLJ-7A active phased array radar will give the JF-17 many advantages in an aerial combat.

"Our product will tremendously extend the fighter jet's detection range, giving it a much longer sight that will help it detect the enemy's aircraft before they do, and this is very important because in real combat if you see first, you fire first," he said. "The radar is capable of tracking dozens of targets and engaging several of them simultaneously. It also has a good jamming-resistant capacity that keeps the plane away from enemy's electronic interference." China Daily quoted him as saying.

The KLJ-7A radar can be mounted on light-or medium-weight fighter jets. It is one of the best of its kind in the world in terms of technology and capability, Hu said.

Nanjing Research Institute of Electronics Technology, part of the State-owned defense giant China Electronics Technology Group Corp, is China’s leading developer of military radars. Its products have been exported to more than 20 nations in Africa and Asia.

Source:http://www.defenseworld.net/news/22...JF_17_Jet___s_Phased_Array_Radar#.WrxyaDMnjcu

Back
Top Bottom