What's new

China Sends 150 Professionals to Teach Pakistanis About Modern Farming Techniques

Sorry sorry guys, i was not able to add to my previous post and complete it earlier. I will try and explain the situation.

First of all, the guy i discussed this matter with is Director Wheat Punjab, an important and influential figure, very well educated when it comes to Wheat in Pakistan. Here are some points based on the discussion i have had with him:

• The news itself is misleading. It is not like some Chinese government help to improve out crop like the news link makes it sound like. It is actually a research organization introducing their product in Pakistani market. No direct legal approach was made. It is a business proposal.
  • Punjab produces 76% of Pakistan's wheat and the director is not aware and nor have been approached by any company about any such trial or research program.
  • The trials as mentioned int he article are small experiments in collaboration with a university (despite number of government research institutes present for same purpose).
  • With Hybrid wheat, the problem is that after some time, the seed starts to get weaker. Like if you plant the hybrid crop, the seed you will get from its harvest are to be used for next sowing. Over a repeat of this cycle the seed gets weak and the production decrease. In short, you are ALWAYS at mercy of the supplier to provide you seed, at rates the decide. So as per him, if ANY SUCH approach was made through government research institution it would have been rejected at once so that is the only reason the set up a small experiment with a university in a province that do not produces much wheat only to make a news of it and try and get some footing in the market.
  • Pakistani research on wheat is good already and we are producing much more from same amount of land than we used to do 10 or 15 years ago. The latest varieties like galaxy for example developed by Pakistani institution is excellent both in terms of yield and resistance to pests.

In short, his point was that it is just a fraud. Some organization just tried to get into market seeking a business opportunity, have run a small experiment with an institution that means not much while there were proper research centers who could have been approached if they were hopeful of its success. With not a single acre of hybrid crop under any research institution supervision in Punjab, the province that produces the wheat for Pakistan, chances are, this is just a story for the papers with not much to offer practically.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Sorry sorry guys, i was not able to add to my previous post and complete it earlier. I will try and explain the situation.

First of all, the guy i discussed this matter with is Director Wheat Punjab, an important and influential figure, very well educated when it comes to Wheat in Pakistan. Here are some points based on the discussion i have had with him:

• The news itself is misleading. It is not like some Chinese government help to improve out crop like the news link makes it sound like. It is actually a research organization introducing their product in Pakistani market. No direct legal approach was made. It is a business proposal.
  • Punjab produces 76% of Pakistan's wheat and the director is not aware and nor have been approached by any company about any such trial or research program.
  • The trials as mentioned int he article are small experiments in collaboration with a university (despite number of government research institutes present for same purpose).
  • With Hybrid wheat, the problem is that after some time, the seed starts to get weaker. Like if you plant the hybrid crop, the seed you will get from its harvest are to be used for next sowing. Over a repeat of this cycle the seed gets weak and the production decrease. In short, you are ALWAYS at mercy of the supplier to provide you seed, at rates the decide. So as per him, if ANY SUCH approach was made through government research institution it would have been rejected at once so that is the only reason the set up a small experiment with a university in a province that do not produces much wheat only to make a news of it and try and get some footing in the market.
  • Pakistani research on wheat is good already and we are producing much more from same amount of land than we used to do 10 or 15 years ago. The latest varieties like galaxy for example developed by Pakistani institution is excellent both in terms of yield and resistance to pests.

In short, his point was that it is just a fraud. Some organization just tried to get into market seeking a business opportunity, have run a small experiment with an institution that means not much while there were proper research centers who could have been approached if they were hopeful of its success. With not a single acre of hybrid crop under any research institution supervision in Punjab, the province that produces the wheat for Pakistan, chances are, this is just a story for the papers with not much to offer practically.

Thanks, really appreciate the details.

They are not coming here for hybrid wheat but they are coming here for desert cultivation and try to introduce other techniques. Please set the discussion straight. Agri dept is in no confrontation with hybrid wheat. Hybrid wheat is already being cultivated in Pakistan. China has also introduced new form of rice in Pakistan as well.

They are not coming here for hybrid wheat but they are coming here for desert cultivation and try to introduce other techniques. Please set the discussion straight. Agri dept is in no confrontation with hybrid wheat. Hybrid wheat is already being cultivated in Pakistan. China has also introduced new form of rice in Pakistan as well.
The confrontation is with what is said in this article really. Engineered and modified varieties are already being cultivated in Pakistan, our own research institutions introduce 1 2 new varieties almost every year.

As for why they are coming, please read that article again. The particular article we are discussing here is NOT ABOUT desert cultivation :D
Phr ap kahty hoo ka i am taking revenge yaar,,,
At least read the article that is being discussed!

Desert cultivation is a separate thing and our institutions are also working on it in collaboration with Chinese. Let us not mix two totally different things here.

The confrontation is with what is said in this article really. Engineered and modified varieties are already being cultivated in Pakistan, our own research institutions introduce 1 2 new varieties almost every year.

As for why they are coming, please read that article again. The particular article we are discussing here is NOT ABOUT desert cultivation :D
Phr ap kahty hoo ka i am taking revenge yaar,,,
At least read the article that is being discussed!

Desert cultivation is a separate thing and our institutions are also working on it in collaboration with Chinese. Let us not mix two totally different things here.
Nope bro here you are also stuck and I am trying to pay you back. :)

China has already introduced hybrid rice and we already have hybrid wheat we have to confrontation with Chinese hybrid seeds. The issue is that Pakistani hybrid wheat is already giving more yield. The Chinese hybrid rice is good it gives more yield.

Chinese are sending to educate people the teams will visit farmers and teach them many things. Agri dept has already contacted farmers in this issue.

Nope bro here you are also stuck and I am trying to pay you back. :)

China has already introduced hybrid rice and we already have hybrid wheat we have to confrontation with Chinese hybrid seeds. The issue is that Pakistani hybrid wheat is already giving more yield. The Chinese hybrid rice is good it gives more yield.

Chinese are sending to educate people the teams will visit farmers and teach them many things. Agri dept has already contacted farmers in this issue.
Oh, you mean that revenge thing?
Well if so you have chosen a wrong topic man. :)

Here it is, NO, Pakistan is NOT USING Chinese Hybrid wheat. Reasons stated above and the article being discussed here, that is nothing but a sham of sorts. Pakistani research institutions like NARC, Auyb and Nayyab have all developed their own engineered varieties (that you call hybrid) and keep on producing 2/3 every year or two. Latest one being Galaxy which have produced excellent results. In light of all this, the Chinese knew they do not have a chance so instead of approaching Punjab authorities who actually have a say in the matter they went to a university in KPK and ran a small experimental project there. Nothing will come of it as per directory wheat punjab.

For rice, YES, some Chinese varieties were introduced but for your information, we have NOT USED them as it is. They have been studied and local varieties have been altered. What we are using now (still very limited area) is a mix of Chinese Hybrid Rice and our own engineering with it to produce the seeds/variety at home. The imported seeds were cultivated in Kala Shah Kako only at research center but never made it to farmer. What farmer are getting in name of Chinese seed is actually the one produced at our institutions and sort of mix of the Chinese seed and our local variety.

And, again, NO, the article we are discussing here is NOT about desert cultivation so i do not see where i am stuck! :D
If you want to discuss desert cultivation techniques of Chinese and its role/influence in Pakistan, tag me in the relevant thread and i will sure share some details there.

This is one topic i have good command on bro. Plenty of relatives on highest posts and some very close ones. :)

Oh, you mean that revenge thing?
Well if so you have chosen a wrong topic man. :)

Here it is, NO, Pakistan is NOT USING Chinese Hybrid wheat. Reasons stated above and the article being discussed here, that is nothing but a sham of sorts. Pakistani research institutions like NARC, Auyb and Nayyab have all developed their own engineered varieties (that you call hybrid) and keep on producing 2/3 every year or two. Latest one being Galaxy which have produced excellent results. In light of all this, the Chinese knew they do not have a chance so instead of approaching Punjab authorities who actually have a say in the matter they went to a university in KPK and ran a small experimental project there. Nothing will come of it as per directory wheat punjab.

For rice, YES, some Chinese varieties were introduced but for your information, we have NOT USED them as it is. They have been studied and local varieties have been altered. What we are using now (still very limited area) is a mix of Chinese Hybrid Rice and our own engineering with it to produce the seeds/variety at home. The imported seeds were cultivated in Kala Shah Kako only at research center but never made it to farmer. What farmer are getting in name of Chinese seed is actually the one produced at our institutions and sort of mix of the Chinese seed and our local variety.

And, again, NO, the article we are discussing here is NOT about desert cultivation so i do not see where i am stuck! :D
If you want to discuss desert cultivation techniques of Chinese and its role/influence in Pakistan, tag me in the relevant thread and i will sure share some details there.

This is one topic i have good command on bro. Plenty of relatives on highest posts and some very close ones. :)

CHUANMAI 61 is a Chinese hybrid seed already introduced in Pakistan in 2012 and is being cultivated :)

CHUANMAI 61 is a Chinese hybrid seed already introduced in Pakistan in 2012 and is being cultivated :)
Nahi janab, i told you, what people are getting is a home grown variety of a foreign hybrid (don't know its name). Will ask about this too if you want me to but as it was discussed (that we have developed own varieties based on hybrids rather than introducing hybrids directly) i am pretty sure about it.

Nahi janab, i told you, what people are getting is a home grown variety of a foreign hybrid (don't know its name). Will ask about this too if you want me to but as it was discussed (that we have developed own varieties based on hybrids rather than introducing hybrids directly) i am pretty sure about it.
Yes we use our own varieties because they give more production but in some areas Chinese is also being used. :)

Pakistan has no option to go for hybrid seeds ASAP,
  • Water getting scarce as India getting aggressive on water sources,
  • Afgans getting richer and smuggling out of Pakistani richer, scarce and organic crops etc, May be US eating it out from there
state institutions too naive to keep check on this, lots of truck crossing border and Pakistan Customs phatic ...
Govt, should device strict crops monitoring mechanism, transportation and storage or Pakistan will starved to death. Its better to eat hybrid than nothing at all. Many unregulated importers are importing bean etc that are worst than hybrid and bad for human consumption from Australia ect, and no one taking notice of it.

Last edited:
Yes we use our own varieties because they give more production but in some areas Chinese is also being used. :)
Sir jee, either you are missing the point or just looking the other way. Those Chinese varities that are used are made Pakistani first, meaning, we have developed a variant of it, in Pakistan and that is what we have used calling it Chinese (since it is based on it) The seeds DO NOT come from China. Ap check kr lain....
I told you, you choose a wrong topic :D If you were looking for some kind of revenge, you will need to come up with more than this bro :P

Thanks. That makes sense.
Thanks, really appreciate the details.
Just in case you are interested, the person i was talking too also shared another interesting incident. Some time back Bayer tried to get one of their fungicides approved for a unique rust problem (no the common rust) in wheat. The department stood firm against them, despite pressure from various players the department was determined not to let this one get approved. They were of the view that the problem is not present in Pakistan so getting this fungicide approved in not good for the farmer as then Bayer will try and sell it to farmer any way. The Bayer argument was that this is a very dangerous problem and can cause serious damage to the crop nation wide so they just want to get this treatment approved so in case the problem comes, they can supply this in the market (they have to get approval from government before they introduce any new pesticide/fungicide). The department point of view was that the shelf-life of this is one year and that do Bayer really want them to believe that they are so sincere with Pakistan that if the rust problem do not comes in this year (when it is approved and imported/manufactured) they will waste all of it and not try to sell it to farmer??? In the end, the department won.

In short, this tells us how these companies operate. They will get some thing approved and supply it to the market. Now even if there is no need to spray this, the store guys who have received deliver of these sprays try to sell it to farmers one way or another, usually by misguiding them about certain disease as they have been promised foreign trips and other incentives if they sell a certain amount. It is the government institutions that are responsible to make sure the farmers do not get blackmailed like this and do not have to spend extra on useless things. In this case, they managed to do their job, i wonder how many times we have failed.

I go to my local store and I see Chinese chillies from other side of globe and Indian garlic. No sign of Pakistani agriculture.
This is what I like. Seeking authentic, credible and reliable info by actually visiting the ground zero. Not naively believing any country's media.

Sir jee, either you are missing the point or just looking the other way. Those Chinese varities that are used are made Pakistani first, meaning, we have developed a variant of it, in Pakistan and that is what we have used calling it Chinese (since it is based on it) The seeds DO NOT come from China. Ap check kr lain....
I told you, you choose a wrong topic :D If you were looking for some kind of revenge, you will need to come up with more than this bro :P

If you are wel informed than me are resourcefull than tell those to do work in fiweld than on media,
before Naya Somalia emerges in stead of naya Paksiatan

I don't think China can make much money by selling seeds to Pakistan, What China is doing is truly hoping to do her part in helping a friendly nation.

Back
Top Bottom