What's new

China Sends 150 Professionals to Teach Pakistanis About Modern Farming Techniques

Shahzaz ud din

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
China Sends 150 Professionals to Teach Pakistanis About Modern Farming Techniques
Posted 18 hours ago by Press Release
wheat-flour.jpg

• To Plug the Rising Trade Deficit, China Offers to Trade in Yuan With Pakistan

Wheat is one of the most important crops in many countries along the Belt and Road, whose total planting area is over 6.6 million hectares, around 3.2 times more than that in China. However, some countries’ wheat production per unit remains below the world average level.

Since 2012, China’s Hybrid Wheat Company and the Beijing Hybrid Wheat Engineering Technology Research Center have cooperated with Pakistan’s Jiade Agricultural Company and Peshawar Agricultural University to carry out demonstration experiments on the cooperation of the second-generation hybrid wheat in Pakistan.Over 120 hybrids were planted in more than 230 experimental spots. China’s second-generation hybrid wheat has demonstrated a 24.4% increase production in Pakistan.

“In the future, Sinochem Group will cultivate a number of high-yield, high-quality, and resistant wheat varieties that are suitable for Central and South Asian countries along the Belt and Road.’’

https://propakistani.pk/author/press/

As per my info, they are trying to introduce this new Chinese Hybrid wheat while our departments is trying to resist and have been successful so far.

It beggars imagination. Why would they do that?
Its what a senior wheat scientist told me. Will try to get some more info over the weekend and share here. I think it must have something to do with feasibility in our weather, effect on soil, crop value or resistance to pests, no sure but will try and get some details.

Its what a senior wheat scientist told me. Will try to get some more info over the weekend and share here. I think it must have something to do with feasibility in our weather, effect on soil, crop value or resistance to pests, no sure but will try and get some details.
one of my relative is a associate professor in agriculture university and he is also against the use of hybrid seed.

one of my relative is a associate professor in agriculture university and he is also against the use of hybrid seed.

The objection is understandable. Do we have the capability to make this hybrid seed in house or are we solely reliant on a Chinese company every year? Its happy days when the yield goes up 25% but if things go wrong and the seed is unavailable then we'll suffer when we lost 25% and go back to our old levels of yield.

There may also be ecological impact. I'm not an expert of course.

Let's hope there is a resolution to the matter soon. Increased yield which are most resistant us good for everyone on paper.

China's 'two-line hybrid technique' improves wheat production in Pakistan
Category : Latest News Source : The Nation Date : 24-08-2018

China helps Pakistan in achieving another milestone in the agricultural sector by successfully harvesting hybrid wheat. 150 Chinese experts were sent to Pakistan to visit and identify ideal venues for hybrid wheat production and ‘two-line hybrid technique’ was implemented to introduce innovation and efficiency in the agricultural output of Pakistan. The innovative technique introduced by Chinese experts has surpassed expectations and improved the wheat yields substantially.
China’s hybrid wheat, using the two-line hybrid technique, has been successfully harvested on a large scale in Pakistan, according to a senior official of a Chinese company which has conducted field trials of hybrid wheat varieties and realized on average 24.4 percent increase in crop yields.
“Our company has sent many experts to Pakistan to teach local farmers how to plant the wheat.
Around 150 experts have been sent to Pakistan, where they visited over 20 cities,” Song Weibo, Vice President of Sinochem Group Agriculture Division, China’s biggest agricultural inputs company and integrated modern agricultural services operator told the Chinese media.

The two-line hybrid technique is often used in hybrid rice and wheat. It can increase wheat production by 20 percent.

The hybrid wheat has been proven to outperform standard wheat in terms of yield, water usage and resistance to disease.

Chen Zhaobo, General Manager, CNSGC Hybrid Wheat Seed, a subsidiary of China National Seed Group Co under Sinochem Group Co, which is responsible for the hybrid wheat promotion project in Pakistan, said the tests on the hybrid varieties were implemented in 230 sites, spread over 2,000 hectares of land, mostly in experimental bases or local farms.

“The good results from the experiments offer bright prospects for large-scale cultivation of hybrid varieties in Pakistan,” he added.

Zhang Shengquan, an expert at the Beijing Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences who oversees the hybrid wheat project in Pakistan, said that wheat production in northern Pakistan has increased by 50.1 percent between 2017 and 2018, citing data from

Pakistan’s University of Agriculture Peshawar.

Data from Pakistan-based Guard Agricultural Research and Services Company shows that during the same period, wheat production in the country’s middle regions has increased by 45 percent, he added.

Zhang said that drought and high temperatures are the major challenges to planting hybrid wheat in Pakistan. Frequent changes in the policies of the governments also make it difficult to sustain the project, he noted.

University of Agriculture Peshawar Professor Muhammad Arif told China Radio International that the world has been studying hybrid wheat but no one has achieved China’s level of success.

With the help from Chinese experts, the technique could yield around 6,000 kilograms per hectare, twice that of local wheat production, Arif said, adding it could free up land for other agriculture products.

Zhao Gancheng, director of the Shanghai Institute for the International Studies Center for Asia-Pacific Studies, said the project could help Pakistan ensure food security and also promote China-Pakistan ties.

“Pakistan’s population has been rapidly increasing, but the country is short on farmland. The project is win-win cooperation,” he added.

OK, so i managed to have a detailed discussion with the person i mentioned earlier. It is confirmed, our authorities are NOT is favor of this Chinese Hybrid and are not giving it green light. They have their reasons too and quite understandable ones.
@New World @313ghazi

They have their reasons too and quite understandable ones.
We know implicitly they have reasons but more to the point what 'reasons'. I mean are they being luddites? Are they protecting vested interests? What? I think we all would be far more inclined to trust them if Pakistani agriculture was world leader but as it is it is underperforming even between South Asian standards.

I go to my local store and I see Chinese chillies from other side of globe and Indian garlic. No sign of Pakistani agriculture.

As per my info, they are trying to introduce this new Chinese Hybrid wheat while our departments is trying to resist and have been successful so far.

We should not implement anything which will in end put us in bad shape.

The real issue of this hybrid seeds are the wheat produced cannot be reused after a certain period of time hence you are at complete mercy of the supplier ... They will sell you cheap till you are completely dependent on them but once you are dependant on them they can price whatever they want ...

Way forward for this is technology transfer so that you can manufacture these hybrid seeds in-house otherwise this could be a dangerous call ...

Any you can share?
We know implicitly they have reasons but more to the point what 'reasons'. I mean are they being luddites? Are they protecting vested interests? What? I think we all would be far more inclined to trust them if Pakistani agriculture was world leader but as it is it is underperforming even between South Asian standards.

I go to my local store and I see Chinese chillies from other side of globe and Indian garlic. No sign of Pakistani agriculture.
We should not implement anything which will in end put us in bad shape.

Sorry sorry guys, i was not able to add to my previous post and complete it earlier. I will try and explain the situation.

First of all, the guy i discussed this matter with is Director Wheat Punjab, an important and influential figure, very well educated when it comes to Wheat in Pakistan. Here are some points based on the discussion i have had with him:

• The news itself is misleading. It is not like some Chinese government help to improve out crop like the news link makes it sound like. It is actually a research organization introducing their product in Pakistani market. No direct legal approach was made. It is a business proposal.
  • Punjab produces 76% of Pakistan's wheat and the director is not aware and nor have been approached by any company about any such trial or research program.
  • The trials as mentioned int he article are small experiments in collaboration with a university (despite number of government research institutes present for same purpose).
  • With Hybrid wheat, the problem is that after some time, the seed starts to get weaker. Like if you plant the hybrid crop, the seed you will get from its harvest are to be used for next sowing. Over a repeat of this cycle the seed gets weak and the production decrease. In short, you are ALWAYS at mercy of the supplier to provide you seed, at rates the decide. So as per him, if ANY SUCH approach was made through government research institution it would have been rejected at once so that is the only reason the set up a small experiment with a university in a province that do not produces much wheat only to make a news of it and try and get some footing in the market.
  • Pakistani research on wheat is good already and we are producing much more from same amount of land than we used to do 10 or 15 years ago. The latest varieties like galaxy for example developed by Pakistani institution is excellent both in terms of yield and resistance to pests.

In short, his point was that it is just a fraud. Some organization just tried to get into market seeking a business opportunity, have run a small experiment with an institution that means not much while there were proper research centers who could have been approached if they were hopeful of its success. With not a single acre of hybrid crop under any research institution supervision in Punjab, the province that produces the wheat for Pakistan, chances are, this is just a story for the papers with not much to offer practically.

Back
Top Bottom