What's new

Cheraman Juma Masjid.. the oldest mosque in india

riju78

Reaction score

Cheraman Juma Masjid is a mosque in Kodungallur in the Indian state of Kerala. Believed to be built in 629 AD by Malik Bin Deenar, it is considered as the oldest mosque in India, and the second oldest mosque in the world to offer Jumu'ah prayers. Constructed during the lifetime of Muhammad, the bodies of some of his original followers are said to be buried here.Unlike other mosques in Kerala that face westwards this mosque faces eastwards.

Cheraman Juma Masjid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to Cheraman Juma Masjid, Kodungallur, kerala - The first mosque in india

Last edited by a moderator:
well I had a discussion with benny couple of months ago on the same issue so quoting some of the posts here for the peoples knowledge.......... I still do not know if it is the second mosque in the world or just a legend

Cheraman Juma Masjid is a mosque in Kodungallur in the Indian state of Kerala. Believed to be built in 629 AD by Malik Bin Deenar, it is considered as the oldest mosque in India, and the second oldest mosque in the world .

Constructed during the lifetime of Muhammad, the bodies of some of his original followers are said to be buried here. Unlike other mosques in Kerala that face westwards this mosque faces eastwards.

Cheraman_jumamasjid.JPG

There are a lot of technical errors in your post. It can't be the second oldest mosque in the world because the first few mosques were created in Makkah and Madina. In fact Madina where Prophet Muhammad S.A.W.W migrated and laid foundation of "Masjid Quba" later on Muslims build a Mosque of Prophet (Masjid-e-Nabawi) and a lot of other mosques found in Madina (i.e. Qiblatain)....... those days there were not many followers of Islam........ and Muslims had escaped from Makkah to seek refuge in Madina so there is no point in going to India those days when they were having a battle of their own survivals.

You said this mosque was build during the the time of Prophet Muhammad S.A.W.W how is it possible? as the Muslims conquered Hind after the death of Hazrat Abu Bakr Siddique R.A. (during the time of second caliph) and that too only a little part of today's Pakistan. Hind in fact was conquered during Hajjaj Bin Yousuf's era when Muhammad bin Qasim was dispatched to Sindh. So how did they build this mosque in the lifetime of Prophet Muhammad S.A.W.W?

Prophet Muhammad Born: 570
Died: 632

Malik Bin Deenar (found of this mosque died: 748CE or 131AH (Hijri)

Indicating wrong claim that the mosque was built during Prophet Muhammad S.A.W.W life time? or was he not 90 years old or was the Islam already spread in Kerala during the lifetime of Prophet Muhammad S.A.W.W? wrong claim that is...........

Same is true for being second oldest mosque in the world as Madinah, Qubah, Qiblatain and many other mosquese in arab world had already been constructed? and for your reference Makkah is also a Mosque right?

By the way, good to see the pictures of this mosque

The_Miracles_of_Muhammad_(part_2_of_3)_001.jpg

The_Miracles_of_Muhammad_(part_2_of_3)_002.jpg

YouTube - Cheraman Juma Masjid, Kerala Tourism

Cheraman Juma Masjid is a mosque in Kodungallur in the Indian state of Kerala. Believed to be built in 629 AD by Malik Bin Deenar, it is considered as the oldest mosque in India, and the second oldest mosque in the world to offer Jumu'ah prayers. Constructed during the lifetime of Muhammad, the bodies of some of his original followers are said to be buried here.Unlike other mosques in Kerala that face westwards this mosque faces eastwards.

Cheraman Juma Masjid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to Cheraman Juma Masjid, Kodungallur, kerala - The first mosque in india

It is first mosque in the sub-continent that was built by a Hindu King (who embraced Islam) after he saw the miracle of moon splitting into two parts.

When he started inquiring about such an incident someone told him about the Arab traders who told him that infact Last Prophet of Islam Muhammad (PBUH) has this miracle on his credit. Thus he according to historians embraces Islam and constructed this mosque.

We had a thread in the past on this there is entire story posted there

I, infact has the seen the mosque myself ..some 2 months back while travelling.

yeah we can merge both threads
quite informative

I know the story of this King but its a good reminder

Back
Top Bottom