What's new

Cameron's inflammatory comments against Pakistan: I meant Pakistanis are terrorists..

All need to do more

THE past week was a bad one for Pakistan. The crash of Airblue flight 202 in the Margalla Hills, with the loss of all 152 lives on board, sent shock waves through the country. The floods that swallowed much of northern Pakistan left hundreds dead in their path.

Only a few weeks earlier, Pakistan lost more victims to the highly symbolic terrorist attacks on one of the nation’s most prominent Sufi shrines. Perhaps, in light of these tragedies, it was not only unusually blunt for the British Prime Minister David Cameron to adhere to his seemingly one-sided comments about Pakistan “promoting the export of terror”, but also quite unsympathetic to the nation’s current tragedies.

Cameron’s remarks appear more unfortunate since they were made from India, on a trip where he was explicitly seeking to further British trade interests. Cameron would not be unaware of the historic rivalry between these two neighbours, and the fact that his remarks made from India may feed into this unhealthy and competitive rivalry even more. The result was that Pakistan once more dominated the world’s front-pages, and sadly again for all the wrong reasons.

I’ve written before for these very pages about why we need to do more to combat not just terrorism but extremism inside Pakistan. I am often criticised for my stance on the need for Muslims, and Pakistanis, to be more self-critical about their own contribution to, or neglect of, the extremist rot that has set solid inside this country. It goes without saying that taking such a stance comes with considerable risk to my person.

In the UK, I make the same points loud and clear. Britain is currently undergoing a review of its counter-extremism strategy in recognition of the fact that more needs to be done, particularly in challenging non-violent extremism, and that the policies of old have largely contributed to home-grown extremism running riot across Europe.

In the spirit of the remarks made by Cameron about the need to “discuss these things frankly, openly and clearly” here are some home truths intended to serve as a reminder for us all. I have travelled up and down Pakistan discussing with students that there is no wisdom in living in a culture of denial about the existence of extremist elements inside Pakistan. Likewise, the UK would also do well to remember that the traffic of extremism involving Pakistan is two-way.

It was from Britain that groups such as Hizbut Tahrir, al-Muhajiroun and others exported their brand of extremism to multiple countries in the world. I know this first-hand, because before renouncing the extremist ideology, I was one of the first British-Pakistani members of Hizbut Tahrir to leave Britain and move to Pakistan to help establish this group in 1999.

We had received instructions from our global leader that Pakistan’s acquisition of a nuclear bomb made it a prime target for our objectives, in the hope that our future ‘caliphate’ would go nuclear. In the year 2000, again from London, we recruited Pakistani army cadets who had been sent to the UK’s premier military training facility, Sandhurst, and sent them back with the aim of instigating a military coup against the Pakistani regime. These same members were apparently discovered in the 2003 coup plot purge inside Pakistan’s army.

In fact, using Britain as a base, Hizbut Tahrir has been involved in spreading and financing their nefarious ideology to countries ranging from Bangladesh, India, Egypt, Yemen, Syria, Indonesia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Kenya and many other nations. I personally know the members who went from the UK to each one of these countries — they were my former comrades, or shabab as we called each other. Even more worrying is the fact that Britain was used as a launch pad for the now global and banned al-Muhajiroun terrorist-affiliated group of the notorious Omar Bakri Muhammad.

The review of Britain’s counter-extremism strategy is likely to focus on the recognition that there is no long-term solution to a more harmonious society unless civil society does more to challenge non-violent extremists inside their communities.

Alarmingly, Pakistan is yet to develop its own counter-extremism strategy. With this in mind, it would perhaps be best to work with the Pakistani people, in a way that does not antagonise, so Pakistan may be given all the help it needs to devise a counter-extremism strategy that recognises the desire and potential of its people to stand up for their traditional values of tolerance, pluralism and individual choice.

As a British-Pakistani, with deep ties to both countries, having been personally involved in trafficking extremism to Pakistan from the UK, and now working in both countries to challenge such extremism, my remarks should be seen as they are intended: a call for sobriety in this critical debate.

This is not to suggest that Pakistan does not have its fair share of denial and blame in this problem. But through my efforts of challenging extremism, which have taken me across the length and breadth of the country, I have found that any constructive criticism must also be accompanied by an admission of one’s own faults. Blaming one country or the other for extremism will not allow us to move forward. Britain needs to do more. Pakistan needs to do more. We all need to do more. Let us not compete over who is not ‘doing more’ enough.

We should remember that we no longer live in a world where ideas and people stay locked within the borders of one country. Islamist ideals that started in the Arab world as perceived resistance to colonialism, fused with the global foreign policy escapades of the US in its fight against the USSR, financed by Saudi petro-dollars, found homes through exile in London so that British intelligence agencies could use them to their strategic advantage.

There they attracted tech-savvy, trendy, highly educated angry young western teenagers who used American-based Internet sites to take us to the age we find ourselves in: jihadism is now a 21st century multinational corporation, and the extremists look like and live among us all.

The writer is founder of the Pakistan-based Khudi, a platform to counter extremism, and director of the London-based counter-extremism think tank Quilliam.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...e-newspaper/editorial/all-need-to-do-more-280

our president seriously needs to be eliminated for the prosperity of PAKISTAN

People of the caliber of Cameron dont go around saying things just like that. Their speeches are heavily edited and looked at before they are made. Rather than going around criticizing Cameron and calling him an Indian agent, its better you introspect and see if there is any truth to what he is saying. India has been passing this message onto the international public for a long time and its good that other countries are also starting to understand our point of view. I see nothing wrong with his comments and its very brave of him to say all this in front of the world. UK has finally found a leader with a spine and im sure he will lead the UK out of the recession its going through right now. Rather than writing his comments out as crap, maybe its time you introspect and try to catch the root of the problem. Supporting extremist in Kashmir and India is also supporting terror, there are no good or bad terrorist and thats the distinction Pakistan will need to make.

Right sir but UK needs introspection also.

DAWN.COM | Editorial | All need to do more

People of the caliber of Cameron dont go around saying things just like that. Their speeches are heavily edited and looked at before they are made. Rather than going around criticizing Cameron and calling him an Indian agent, its better you introspect and see if there is any truth to what he is saying. India has been passing this message onto the international public for a long time and its good that other countries are also starting to understand our point of view. I see nothing wrong with his comments and its very brave of him to say all this in front of the world. UK has finally found a leader with a spine and im sure he will lead the UK out of the recession its going through right now. Rather than writing his comments out as crap, maybe its time you introspect and try to catch the root of the problem. Supporting extremist in Kashmir and India is also supporting terror, there are no good or bad terrorist and thats the distinction Pakistan will need to make.

You Indians Needs to Understand That Cameroon Flattery For Indians is Just an Excuse to use INDIA for its own benefits

You Indians Needs to Understand That Cameroon Flattery For Indians is Just an Excuse to use INDIA for its own benefits

Hah. So you finally saw that???? Have you ever given a thought about the Chinese support now? Or for that matter that of the US aid and funding????

So do you think that you have something to offer to them for "their benefits"?

let's not worry about cameroon he is used to being in OPPOSITION and OPPOSITION parties need to stay in the news by making outrageous remarks!! cameroon will go soon and MILIBAND will return let's not worry about this Mor*n!!!

him & zardari both are going to go soon!

currently cameroon needs to charm india let him do it! and let the indians be happy about it!

sorry im not buying that argument, it seems like many here are under the delusion that everyone is out there to get Pakistan but you fail to understand why everyone is saying what they are. Such big allegations are not made just like that and have some sense of reality behind it. Having that attitude that everyone is lying and only we are telling the truth is going to lead you no where. Anyone who criticizes Pakistan suddenly becomes either a Zionist pig or an Indian agent. When so many people are raising fingers against you, there must be some reality behind it. Its time that Pakistan introspects and stop's denying the obvious. The world is not dumb.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Right sir but UK needs introspection also.

DAWN.COM | Editorial | All need to do more

for sure UK does, but thats not the topic here.

sorry im not buying that argument, it seems like many here are under the delusion that everyone is out there to get Pakistan but you fail to understand why everyone is saying what they are. Such big allegations are not made just like that and have some sense of reality behind it.
Having that attitude that everyone is lying and only we are telling the truth is going to lead you no where. Anyone who criticizes Pakistan suddenly becomes either a Zionist pig or an Indian agent. When so many people are raising fingers against you, there must be some reality behind it. Its time that Pakistan introspects and stop's denying the obvious. The world is not dumb.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

for sure UK does, but thats not the topic here.

And for probably the 1,453,875,232 time - an utterly simplistic post by an indian.

Let's see who is pointing fingers at us. Indians, Afghans, maybe parts of western media. Nowhere near 'everyone'. Besides, the problem with your is best described below:

Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You do remember the Iraq war btw? Lots of finger pointing before the war but in the end we all know what was 'the reality'.

And btw, again, don't talk of your version of reality as the reality.

It's really astounding to see how many indians have their heads buried in the sand and their earlier talk of logic and rationality seems to be lost on themselves.

It's best to get out of denial mode and stop living in a simplistic world.

Btw, cameron is not doing this to use india for his own benefits? :lol: You do realize the deals that were signed on this tour right? What world are you living in dude? A simpleton perfect world?

Rather than going around criticizing Cameron and calling him an Indian agent, its better you introspect and see if there is any truth to what he is saying.
But perhaps you need to do the same on yourself - hopefully not using your simplistic way of thinking. Here's just something to get you going.

US gives us $10 billion aid, 7.5B more to come, military assistance and aid, sells us F-16s, etc. If we were supposedly supporting Taliban (there's no proof for that but let's just assume it to be true), do you seriously think they'd give us aid? Not to mention, our economy was doing pretty good at the time and we didn't actually need the aid.

I am not just talking about democrats. We are alleged to have supported Taliban when republicans were in power. Now we all know their policy as far as any anti-American aggression/anti-american support goes. Instead of attacking us, or for that matter speaking out against is, they gave us 10B aid, and were ready to sell us 76 F-16s.

Something is clearly not right as far as these allegations go. But I guess some prefer keeping their head buried in sand.

Last edited:
And for probably the 1,453,875,232 time - an utterly simplistic post by an indian.

Let's see who is pointing fingers at us. Indians, Afghans, maybe parts of western media. Nowhere near 'everyone'. Besides, the problem with your is best described below:

Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You do remember the Iraq war btw? Lots of finger pointing before the war but in the end we all know what was 'the reality'.

And btw, again, don't talk of your version of reality as the reality.

It's really astounding to see how many indians have their heads buried in the sand and their earlier talk of logic and rationality seems to be lost on themselves.

It's best to get out of denial mode and stop living in a simplistic world.

Btw, cameron is not doing this to use india for his own benefits? :lol: You do realize the deals that were signed on this tour right? What world are you living in dude? A simpleton perfect world?

And you think that India signing trade deals with UK is bad for India?

And you think that India signing trade deals with UK is bad for India?

Not at all. I am not suggesting that. It's in both UK and India's interest most likely. Cameron used India for his own benefits, India used Cameron for their own benefits.

My point is that the way of thinking shown here is so utterly simplistic to the highest order. He (desiman) seems to suggesting that since Cameron said it, it must be true and he couldn't have said it for any other reason - and I am not even exaggerating that implication.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom