ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Cambodian Royal Ballet

CamBallet01.jpg

CamBallet03.jpg

CamBalley02.jpg

Renowned for its graceful hand gestures and stunning costumes, the Royal Ballet of Cambodia has been recognized by UNESCO for carrying on the 1,000-year-old Khmer classical dance style, which was originally performed at royal events and ceremonies. Her Royal Highness Princess Norodom Buppha Devi serves as the company’s choreographer. The gestures and poses of Khmer classical dance, mastered by the performers only after years of intensive training, evoke the gamut of human emotions, from fear and rage to love and joy. An orchestra accompanies the dance, and a female chorus provides a running commentary on the plot, highlighting the emotions mimed by the dancers, who were considered the kings’ messengers to the gods and to the ancestors.

Norodom's palace is just awesome. One my friend told me, once in a year the royals will come to the palace and cambodian traditional songs/dance will be performed during that time.

I am able to see those royal gestures only in photographs at the palace, not lucky enough to taste in real.

Beautiful ! That's definitely one place I want to visit in this lifetime. God Willing.

1414032817833.jpg

The wall is just filled completely with amazing carvings, I don't think anyone could cover an entire wall in a single shot.. Hats off khemers...

Have 100s pics with me, will upload when I found time.

Before they converted en mass to Thervada Buddhism, the Khmers were Hindus. Just like the Chenla Kingdom before them. I think there was a term they called the Khmer King , 'Devaraja'. It means God King in Sanskrit, right?

Before they converted en mass to Thervada Buddhism, the Khmers were Hindus. Just like the Chenla Kingdom before them. I think there was a term they called the Khmer King , 'Devaraja'. It means God King in Sanskrit, right?

1414033942312.jpg

1414033984958.jpg

Yes, Angkor was build as a vishnu temple initially(1st pic lord vishnu on snake). Then with in a short period they abandoned this temple and they wanted to hide from the world, reason is still a mystery. When the temple was refound in the 1800s vishnu statues were removed and erected with buddha statues.

Yes, Devaraja means god king.

Indonesian wayang kulit - UNESCO put it into the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Man in 2003

Puppet is a performing arts native Indonesia is growing rapidly in Java and Bali . The show is also popular in some areassuch as Sumatra and the Malay peninsula also has several puppet cultures are affected by the culture of Javanese andHindu .

UNESCO , which oversees cultural institutions of the United Nations , on 7 November 2003 set as a puppet shadow puppet performances famous of Indonesia , a world heritage priceless masterpiece in the art of spoken ( Masterpiece of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity ).

Actually, puppet shows not only in Indonesia because there are many other countries that have show doll . But the shadow puppet show (puppets) in Indonesia has its own narrative style and uniqueness, which is an original masterpiece of Indonesia. For that UNESCO put it into the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Man in 2003.

There is no evidence to suggest the puppet has existed before Hinduism spread across South Asia . It is estimated that the performing arts were brought in by the traders of India . However, the local genius and culture that existed prior to the entry of Hindus converge with the development of the performing arts that goes its own color to the performing arts in Indonesia. Until recently, the early records that can be obtained about the puppet show comes from the inscription Balitung in the 4th century, which reads the Galigi mawayang

When Hindus go to Indonesia and adjust the existing culture, performing arts has become an effective medium to spread Hinduism. Puppet show using the story of Ramayana and Mahabharata .

asu-petra.jpg

Wayang_Kulit_Indonesia%2C_Yogyakarta.jpg

1316326640-wayang-kulit-shadow-puppet-theatre-performance_835426.jpg

1316326642-wayang-kulit-shadow-puppet-theatre-performance_835416.jpg

1316326645-wayang-kulit-shadow-puppet-theatre-performance_835376.jpg

1316326643-wayang-kulit-shadow-puppet-theatre-performance_835402.jpg

1316326646-wayang-kulit-shadow-puppet-theatre-performance_835371.jpg

1316326642-wayang-kulit-shadow-puppet-theatre-performance_835412.jpg

Wayang wong -
also known as Wayang orang (literally 'human wayang)', is a type of classical Javanese dancetheatrical performance with themes taken from episodes of the Ramayana or Mahabharata. Performances are stylised, reflecting Javanese court culture

Wayang wong dance drama in the central Javanese Kraton (royal court) of Yogyakarta represents the epitome of Javanese aesthetic unity. It is total theatre involving dance, drama, music, visual arts, language, and literature. A highly cultured sense of formality permeates every aspect of its presentation

IMG_2300.jpg

RAMA & SITA

wayang9.jpg

wayang-orang-satya-budaya-indonesia-90.jpg

wo2.jpg

wayang+orang.jpg

Back
Top Bottom