What's new

C-130J crashes in Gwalior

Prasun K. Sengupta responds to the issue -

Based on eye-witness accounts, the ill-fated C-130J-30 Super Hercules was on fire while it was in a nosedive. What this means is that there was a fire on-board, which somehow resulted in total loss of hydraulic power, which in turn meant that all control surfaces went kaput. And since the aircraft was cruising at a low-level (not terrain-hugging), it went into a sudden nose-dive & even increasing engine throttles at that stage wouldn’t have helped stabilise the airframe & would have made the situation even worse. It is definitely a case of human negligence, but not of the aircrew & this means the ground crew & its MRO practices/schedules will have to be investigated. Accidents/disasters never happen all of a sudden. Instead, they’re always triggered by a sequence of events & one error leads to another until the fatal crash. However, since the tail section was relatively intact means that the DFDR & CVR have all been successfully recovered & will greatly assist in the accident investigation. In addition, since the Super Hercules was acquired through the FMS channel, i.e. it was the USAF & not Lockheed Martin that sold the aircraft to the IAF, the USAF too will send its investigations team & data retrieval from the DFDR & CVR will in all probability be done by the USAF in the US, i.e. no cover-ups & everyone can rest assured that the results of the Board of Enquiry will be made public by the US side, unlike the MoD which prefers to keep such matters under wraps, much to

HAL is not involved in C130J overhauls.... the maintenance is done by Base repair Depots IAF..... a thorough investigation should be conducted on this

Which is why I said HAL's performance cannot be an excuse in this case.:) The way in which debris is strewn over a wide area suggests that the aircraft had begun to disintegrate mid-air. I wonder if it was carrying any munitions.

Now I know how the Russians feel when Indians kept crashing the Mig.

buy a brand new one to replace it, RIP.

PAF is much more experienced than Indian in operating and maintaining C130.

just to be fair, We've had our share of crashes as well. About 9 i believe...
all accidents ranging from fueling fire, veering off the runway, sabotage, etc

Which is why I said HAL's performance cannot be an excuse in this case.:) The way in which debris is strewn over a wide area suggests that the aircraft had begun to disintegrate mid-air. I wonder if it was carrying any munitions.

You don't need to carry munitions to explode. A fire caused by a short circuit could have ignited the fuel and cause explosion. The curious part is that the modernized C-130J has plenty of fail safe mechanisms to prevent that.

Any pics of the crash? did it caught fire while in the air or after hitting the ground?

• The IAF C-130J that crashed was only 3 years old..
  • Search and rescue ops on.
  • Belonged to the 77 'Veiled Vipers' Squadron.

Looks like it did not fell from a high altitude, more like either at take-off or landing. probably a bird strike at take off. Black box will give better info

Any pics of the crash? did it caught fire while in the air or after hitting the ground?

Looks like it did not fell from a high altitude, more like either at take-off or landing. probably a bird strike at take off. Black box will give better info

Bird strike is a possibility but unlikely, since C130 is a turbo prop and not turbo fan. Even if two engines are knocked out, other 2 can provide enough thrust.

You don't need to carry munitions to explode. A fire caused by a short circuit could have ignited the fuel and cause explosion. The curious part is that the modernized C-130J has plenty of fail safe mechanisms to prevent that.

Based on Prasun Sen's observations it appears like a the oil used in hydraulics of control surface caught fire and disabled the control systems.

These aircraft are maintained by an IAF maintenance team supervised by US Technicians.

Don't blame the techies, it could be a pilot fault if not a technical fault

This looks very very bad.

I saw on a news website that two planes were doing formation drops...and the witnesses were quoted as saying that the aircraft clipped a hill...

Maybe the crew got too low and bumped into the ground...

Investigations will clear it all up though...

RIP.

5 officers killed as IAF’s new showpiece Super Hercules crashes near Gwalior | The Indian Express
do indians get all of their spare parts from the black or grey market or something or do their techies work on empty stomach and low bloody sugar levels

didnt they JUST induct these aircrafts a couple years back?

goodness gracious me

RIP{

Sad loss but definitely its not going to break mighty indian financial back....they can afford to crash many more like these

1798578_553690441394952_205870802_n.jpg
10150816_553690128061650_1971577683_n.jpg
10153127_553690484728281_2025844647_n.jpg
10013077_553683814728948_1836245365_n.jpg

That was the reason why I hinted at munitions on board. Electrical short-circuit in the wing tanks is next to impossible on modern planes unless sabotage or incompetent servicing are involved.

Back
Top Bottom