What's new

Burqa to khaki: Gujarat mother is first Muslim woman DySP

Roby

Reaction score
Country
India
Burqa to khaki: Gujarat mother is first Muslim woman DySP

From a burqa to a khaki uniform is a long distance, especially in Gujarat. Yasmin Sajid Sheikh has taken that leap — the 32-year-old schoolteacher and mother of two is set to become the first Muslim woman DySP of Gujarat.

Sheikh, who recently cleared the Gujarat State Public Commission Services exam, has never met a woman police officer. She says it was the depiction of officers in khaki on television and the big screen that motivated her.

Her in-laws back her completely, as does husband Sajid, a designer with a local embroidery firm. And the burqa, they say, is not an issue. Sheikh would wear the veil on her way to work as a schoolteacher, a job she took on to augment family income.

The daughter of a retired government primary schoolteacher, she has done double post-graduation, in Hindi and Gujarati, earning two gold medals. It was but natural, says Sajid, that she appear for the GPSC.

“I am proud to have such a beautiful life partner,” he says. “We have never quarrelled in our married life of eight years. I take care of the kids getting them ready for school when she goes for work. Now I want to see her in a khakhi dress. I don’t mind even if she gets transferred to other districts... we will manage.”

Explaining why she always wanted to be in the police, Sheikh says: “A Revenue Department job is a simple desk job... it is limiting. I want to wear the police uniform, a job that touches all sections of society.” No one from either her or her husband’s family has ever been in the police.
“In the final interview they asked me how should Kashmir issue be resolved,” she recalls. “My answer was peace talks.”

she has done double post-graduation, in Hindi and Gujarati, earning two gold medals

I will prefer to hang myself instead of Double PG...How brave she is!!
Thats why She is Now deputy SP and am still posting ridiculous posts on PDF.:lol:

smart woman, good role model for muslim women in india and everywhere else.

Congratulaions to you ma'am....Very proud of you

You know in order to not make a special case of every community, we should not mention the religion of anyone who's been appointed to the top. For example, one of my distant uncles was a battalion commander during early 80s... but he was not mentioned "First Buddhist Sikkimese commander in the region". He was mentioned as " First northeast origin Indian appointed".

If we have to show uniformity and not make a special case of any community, then we have to follow this.

Cheers for the woman though.

You know in order to not make a special case of every community, we should not mention the religion of anyone who's been appointed to the top. For example, one of my distant uncles was a battalion commander during early 80s... but he was not mentioned "First Buddhist Sikkimese commander in the region". He was mentioned as " First northeast origin Indian appointed".

If we have to show uniformity and not make a special case of any community, then we have to follow this.

Cheers for the woman though.

Absolutely . Couldn't agree more.

smart woman, good role model for muslim women in india and everywhere else.

not only muslim woman... she is a role model for all the woman in India and everywhere else. And this has happened in Gujarat so that should shut some of the mouths who jumps to conclusion that every thing is wrong for muslims in Gujarat. In the end It feels really good reading such news articles. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom