What's new

Bad Samaritan: China waiter who stopped mother hitting girl with chair forced into US$1,400 payout for posting ‘mentally damaging’ video online

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

• Mother poised to strike daughter with chair over spilled ice cream when restaurant worker steps in
  • Woman loses cool after seeing video of incident online, threatens to kill herself, wins compensation payout, costs waiter job

db73440f-c8fb-44ce-a7d2-5aafe12f39d1_07814ac7.jpg

A restaurant waiter in China who stepped in to stop a woman from hitting her daughter with a chair has lost his job and been forced to pay the woman compensation, sparking a wave of anger on mainland social media. Photo: SCMP composite/Baidu

A restaurant waiter in China who stopped a mother hitting her daughter with a chair then posted footage of the incident online has lost his job and been forced to give the woman 10,000 yuan (US$1,400) in compensation, sparking anger on social media.

In a viral video, the mother is seen losing her cool with her crying daughter in a Western restaurant in Changsha in the central province of Hunan.

The situation turns ugly when she picks up a nearby chair, which she clearly intends to use to discipline her daughter, before a waiter, surnamed Jiang, and his colleagues intervene.

It is understood that the mother, surnamed Hu, was angry because her daughter spilled ice cream on her clothes.

The video was posted online by Jiang, angering Hu, who confront him at the restaurant on several occasions.

c1c1732f-bfc8-45e3-a267-09f6764b2d0c_a2ebe18d.jpg

Video footage posted online shows the woman kicking her daughter

Jiang told the Public Channel of Guizhou Radio TV Station: “After I posted the video, she came to the restaurant the next morning to create a scene. Following that, we negotiated at the police station the entire day.

“The next day she returned, causing another disturbance at our restaurant. The police took her away and after they reprimanded her, she came back to our restaurant again.

“She even threatened to end her life inside the restaurant and also threatened to do so at the police station,” said Jiang.

On September 19, Jiang said he was deeply concerned about potential disruptions at his workplace and had voluntarily resigned from his job.

“After this incident happened, I was afraid it would cause significant losses to the restaurant, so I resigned. I lost my job and had to pay her 10,000 yuan in compensation,” he said.

A Civil Dispute Mediation Agreement issued by the Yuhua Branch of the Changsha Municipal Public Security Bureau confirmed that Jiang had compensated the woman, citing mental damage compensation and medical expenses as reasons.

The incident has triggered anger online.

d3ce6a71-88ee-4b8d-9649-aca83babb705_b3b90e7a.jpg

A group of restaurant staff, led by waiter Jiang, intervene to stop the woman’s attack on her daughter.

One commenter said: “It seems benefits are being distributed based on who creates the most fuss. The mother has already endangered her child’s safety, and the police should have acted against her. Instead, the one who captured the video ends up resigning and paying 10,000 yuan.”

“OK, posting it online may not be ideal, but the fact that the aggressive individual faced no repercussions is indeed baffling,” added another.
A third pointed out: “Being a Good Samaritan comes at a really high cost.”

fantastic reporting
First, I don't think an average Chinese commenter would say Samaritan
Second, the police produced A Civil Dispute Mediation Agreement issued,
So obviously US$1,400 is not a fine, but what the waiter is willing to pay after negotiation.
Third, according to Chinese law, others have no right to disseminate videos about others online without the consent of the individual.

Last edited:
Posting video online...

For the sake of public shaming.

No wonder if being sued.

English mumbo jumbo is one thing.... I want to see the video to make my mind of my own.

What if you are live streaming out on a public street.
When you stream content that includes other people without their permission, you run the risk of them getting upset and pursuing legal action. If you feel you can take the risk, you can live stream.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom