What's new

British-Bangladeshi family killed after joining IS in Syria

Sylhetis think they are descendants of Arabs, Turks, Persians, Kurds but not Bengalis. Not all but most people remain in group and rarely mix with Bengalis when they go abroad. In Bangladesh Sylhetis have to mix with Bengalis for living but still they prefer Sylhetis to remain separate from Bengalis. Not all but there is a tendency among them to feel proud when someone says Sylhetis are different from Bengalis.

They are half Assamese, half foreign with a bit Bengali Gene in them .Which makes them extremely diverse people. Sylhetis language is difficult to converse. It is entirely a different language all together.

90% Bangladesh based militants are from Sylhet region because they are considered religiously very conservative. The UK is their second home. For Sylhetis militants normal Sylhetis get stereotyped for being stupid , ultra conservative, radical people.

My uncle lives in UK. Based on his experience Sylhetis never mix well with other Bangladeshis.

Wtf are you talking about? Sylhetis are 100% Bengali, genetically proven. It's just a subculture of Bengali. Not only Sylhetis, but Chittagong, greater Comilla, greater Noakhali, greater Barisal, greater Khulna, Greater Kushtia, North Bengal, Greater Mymensingh, Greater Dhaka etc. all are somehow unique but part of subcultures of Bengali.
You can't divide Bangladesh by your stupid logic. And no, not all sylhetis claim foreign ancestry, though some of them do wrongfully, a lot of them are proud of being both Sylheti and Bengali, just like any person from Rangpur, who are equally proud Bengali and Rangpuri.
How they are extremely diverse people when I can't even distinguish these middle-class Sylhetis from Balaganj :
39091611_2328641034029719_8452102764694415164_n.jpg

With these middle-class Dhaka students:
Jano%20Bangladesh.jpg

Or these Chittagong students:
1.jpg

As your uncle said, I also agree Sylhetis don't hang out with other Bengalis, but that's their business. Not a severe crime for sure. And now that many non-Sylheti Bengalis are migrating to the UK, their kids and Sylheti kids will get together.
As a proud Bangladeshi, I hope not to see this type of hateful thread about my people anymore.

Sylhetis think they are descendants of Arabs, Turks, Persians, Kurds but not Bengalis. Not all but most people remain in group and rarely mix with Bengalis when they go abroad. In Bangladesh Sylhetis have to mix with Bengalis for living but still they prefer Sylhetis to remain separate from Bengalis. Not all but there is a tendency among them to feel proud when someone says Sylhetis are different from Bengalis.

They are half Assamese, half foreign with a bit Bengali Gene in them .Which makes them extremely diverse people. Sylhetis language is difficult to converse. It is entirely a different language all together.

90% Bangladesh based militants are from Sylhet region because they are considered religiously very conservative. UK is their second home. For Sylhetis militants normal Sylhetis get stereotyped for being stupid , ultra conservative, radical people.

My uncle lives in UK. Based on his experience Sylhetis never mix well with other Bangladeshis.

It’s true. We don’t like to mix with non-Syloti. Your culture is very different from us. It’s very Hinduaani to us. So, please stay away from Jalalabadi.

It’s true. We don’t like to mix with non-Syloti. Your culture is very different from us. It’s very Hinduaani to us. So, please stay away from Jalalabadi.
On a different note, it was nice to see the officials of Sylhet accord a warm welcome to our commerce minister Shri Chandra Mohan Patorary from Assam during his recent visit to Sylhet. The minister stressed that Assam and Sylhet has historical and civilizational ties and extensive people to people interaction. We wish the cooperation to grow further in the coming years.

Off topic

@Nilgiri @Axomiya_lora not against Hinduism or Hindu culture. But, I prefer mine over yours. Similarly I expect you prefer yours over mine. Hisab barabar. No hard feelings. I’ve Hindu colleagues from Indian Gujarat. One of them eat meat and he beg me for kebab and biryaani everyday. They think I’m Pakistani and lying about being Bdian because I’m fluent in Urdu.:azn:

Let’s us sign a agreement. You guys take the Hilsha and give us cow in return. Win win for both of us. :cheers:

@Nilgiri you are Tamil. You eat beef, don’t you?

Off topic

@Nilgiri @Axomiya_lora not against Hinduism or Hindu culture. But, I prefer mine over yours. Similarly I expect you prefer yours over mine. Hisab barabar. No hard feelings. I’ve Hindu colleagues from Indian Gujarat. One of them eat meat and he beg me for kebab and biryaani everyday. They think I’m Pakistani and lying about being Bdian because I’m fluent in Urdu.:azn:

Let’s us sign a agreement. You guys take the Hilsha and give us cow in return. Win win for both of us. :cheers:
There are lots of Muslim Sylhetis in India(Assam) particularly in the districts of Karimganj and Hailakandi who are an integral part of our state. Ours is a composite culture and we respect all religions equally. Sylhet was a great seat of Sufism and Muslim learning, Ajan Fakir is to us what Shah Jalal is to you in Sylhet.

As we are both technically from NE region, Hilsa is not enjoyed by either of us. Let's leave the bony fish for the Bengalis!!

Off topic

@Nilgiri you are Tamil. You eat beef, don’t you?

I respect people that speak plainly like you and accept cultural differences even inside some country.

The monolith narrative types are very rotten sorts....and then they try work to suppress what you want to say and even think.

But what you expect from SHW-stronk-sorts? They have inferiority complex and that leads to someone just taking control of them....and so they must perpetuate a hive mind in their time waste antics here too.

But we all know in the end the differences inside BD.

You guys should make Sylhet as an autonomous district of Bangladesh as a protest... :D

Maza e maza.
:azn::cheers:

Sylhetis are different from other Bangladeshis. These are mixed people. They are not Bengali and don't have any attachment for anything Bengali. They have different views on everything. Sylhetis are comparatively much radical than other Bangladeshis because they have different lifestyle, different culture, many have different look also.

:agree:

Back
Top Bottom