What's new

BREAKING NEWS: LAL MASJID

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are friends dude, it just went out of hand when those blokes went overboard by kidnapping those chineese.

Dear Bull,

You are very astute. Yes there was a Chinese angle as the Gen. mentioned in his speech after the storming that the Chinese President called him up.

Regrds

You're right DAbong lets leave everyone alone to run their own laws and act in whatever means they feel like shall we? TAke another look at those PICTURES that show the dead idiots refusing the LAW and attempting to kill soldiers and policemen for their right to beat people up for wearing the wrong clothes or listening to music.

THat is called Blackmail.......and the moment any govt gives in it will lose any authority it has. The Govt only had one course of action after the morons in the mosque would not come out. They DIED for Nothing whilst one of their "brave" leaders snuck out in womens clothing.

MAYBE THEY should have thought about the consequences of THEIR actions. What did they think the Govt was going to do? Give in? Morons!:disagree:

Really simple question.....if the military do not know what is going in front of the own office's how do they know what is going on in india?
Should they not be fired for gross incompetence.
So where was mushy six months ago when we left "everyone alone to run their own laws and act in whatever means they feel like ?"
Who said it was right what the Lal masjid people did but mushy let it happen on purpose....it fits into his pro american agenda

Dear dabong, There are reasons enough to think that it really was OK.

Well at least there somebody on this forum other then the indians that are happy pakistan army is getting killed.

There is one thing which is nagging me. I saw a CNN clip which showed the General's office over looks the mosque so how could so many arms, bullets etc be smuggled into a high security area ?

Regards

You see bro this is the question all the "secular fanatics" will not answer.

Well at least there somebody on this forum other then the indians that are happy pakistan army is getting killed.

No I an not, and you have no right to speak for me

You see bro this is the question all the "secular fanatics" will not answer.

Dear Dabong1,

I hope the truth is known one day. I am sure some one turned a blind eye and allowed the arms and ammunition in and the sufferers were the SSG, Rangers and the students inside the mosque.

It also hurt the image of Pakistan world wide.

Regrds

MARK of Pakdef said:
Asalam O alaikum,

It is my firm belief that

To stand with Pakistan is to stand with Islam. To stand against Pakistan is an Anti-Islamic activity.

The article that I have pasted below is a good one but the remarks in color are my comments.

This is a good article and represents the sentiments of most of the Pakistanis.

People are trying to confuse a common man be invoking religious sentiments by saying things like:

"Angels were firing rockets on PA"

Well if they were then I am sorry those angels were not good enough. May be they were called tichi tichi, thats why they were inefective.

Another nugget was

"It was a battle of Badr, Haq against Batil"

Well my dear friends, if it was Battle of Badr, then Battle of Badr wouldnt have been lost.

Its a ploy to confuse people and win their support by claiming "I am your muslim brother, I am not telling lies, in fact I am a mujahid of Islam, please support me in doing suicide bombings"

To them I say,

YOU ARE NOT MY MUSLIM BROTHERS OR SISTERS, BECAUSE I DONT CONSIDER YOU MUSLIMS IN THE FIRST PLACE AS YOU ARE HERETIC.

Oh People! bear witness that I am not one of those who consider these heretics as muslims.

Why?
Because:

Masjid-e-Zarar was a proper mosque in Medina Sharif and it had everything that a mosque could have at that time but Allah Mian ordered Muslims not to pray in that mosque as it was being used by the Munafiqeens of Medina Sharif (the forefathers of Taliban, Alqaeda and ghazi brothers and their kin)

It was destroyed at the revelation of the verses which disallowed prayer in that mosque. The heir to that mosque in our times was the Red mosque.

It wasnt just a mosque but also represented a munafiq thinking which is heretic and not allowed in Islam. Thats why the destruction of the mosque at the time of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon Him and His Al) was symbolic towards killing this ideology of munafiqeen as it was heretic.

As per Quran:

The Clans 33, Verse 21

Bismillah Al-Rahman-Al-Raheem

"Verily in the Messenger of Allah ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the Last Day and Remembereth Allah much."

And as far as this recent trouble with these heretics is concerned, as they are doing what is their trademark (killing women children and ordinary people all over the world), and for those who still consider them their "Brothers in Islam" I have to say this:

As per Quran:

The Believers 23, Verses 39 and 40

Bismillah Al-Rahman-Al-Raheem

"39: He said: My Lord! Help me because they deny me.

40: He said: In a little while they surely will become repentant"

I must quote this which I think is P. B Shelley:

"Oars alone cannot prevail to reach the distant shore,
The breath of heaven must swell the sail, or all the toil is lost"

The breath of heaven is coming, its time for us to put up our sails.

And to end it all again as per Quran:

The Believers 23, Verse 30

Bismillah Al-Rehman-Al-Raheem

"Lo! Herein Verily are portents, for lo! We are putting (mankind) to the test"

Wasalam.

The surge of extremism (Which is an anti-Islamic activity)

By Mir Jamilur Rahman

Today’s column is dedicated to SSG Lt Col Haroon Islam and other valiant soldiers of the Pak Army who sacrificed their lives at Jamia Hafsa. Sacrificing one’s life for the national cause is the most selfless act. They have offered the most precious gift, their lives, so that their countrymen could sleep in peace.

The two maulanas, Abdul Aziz and Abdul Rashid, have caused the death of over 100 people; the younger Maulana Rashid has perished too. Maulana Abdul Aziz would also have met the same fate had he not escaped from Jamia Hafsa camouflaged in a black burqa, the Madrassa uniform of the female pupils. Abdul Rashid and many young male students could not leave because they were not allowed to do so by the militants who were now in command of the Hafsa brigade.

After the exit and subsequent arrest of Maulana Aziz, the latter did make a half-hearted appeal to the Hafsa inmates to give up fighting, but nobody paid any heed. The direct negotiations with Maulana Rashid yielded no results. Reluctantly, the Operation Silence was launched to establish the government writ and to clear the Hafsa and Lal Masjid of the terrorist and extremist elements.

A peace agreement between the government and Maulana Rashid was never on. The government’s stand was very clear: the Operation Silence will be aborted only after the extremists holed up in Hafsa, including Maulana Rashid, had surrendered to the writ of law. Maulana Rashid on the other hand was insisting that he and his colleagues should be given a safe passage. The gulf between the two proposals was very wide. It was impossible to narrow it because Maulana Rashid did not want to face law under any circumstance.

Safe passage to where? The destination of safe passage was never mentioned in the negotiations, which were dragging on without reaching any purposeful conclusion. The term ‘safe passage’ is generally used in the US and Europe by bank robbers, kidnappers and terrorists holding hostages and whose escape routes are blocked by the police. In exchange of the hostages, they demand vehicles or aircraft to get away from the law. However, the law has long arms and invariably catches up with the law-breakers, safe passage or no safe passage.

It is out of question that any country including those Muslim countries which practise Shariah would have welcomed Maulana Rashid and his accomplices. In their eyes Maulana Rashid despite being a maulana was a terrorist and a kidnapper. If Maulana Rashid had succeeded in entering another country, he would have been arrested and imprisoned for life or repatriated to Pakistan to face the law.
(What if he went to Afghanistan or Indian Kashmir?)

Maulana Rashid might have been contemplating safe passage to a place in FATA. Evidence is emerging that he had connections with people in that area. It would not be far-fetched to assume that he had links with the Taliban and Al Qaeda. The Taliban are mourning his death by killing innocent people and Al Qaeda has asked the people of Pakistan to launch jihad against the government. Maulana Rashid knew that his desire to take refuge in FATA was faulty because it would have left him and his partners at the mercy of their hosts, which was not a comfortable prospect. Therefore, he adopted a new line. He abandoned the demand for safe passage and instead asked for general amnesty for himself and his partners in extremism. At this late stage he also disclosed the presence of foreign militants in the Hafsa which added a new and dangerous dimension to the process of peace negotiations.

The government agreed to almost every demand for the sake of innocent lives that were entrapped in Hafsa. It agreed that Maulana Rashid would not be ‘arrested’, but confined to a rest house. He would not be made a butt of ridicule. However, the government unequivocally rejected the proposal of granting general amnesty to Maulana Rashid and his militant friends. The people who were involved in kidnapping policemen, Pakistani and Chinese citizens, arson, and killing of Lt-Col Haroon Islam would have to answer for the heinous crimes in a court of law. Maulana Rashid was at the brink of agreeing to these proposals and asked for ten minutes to reply to them. But those ten minutes never ended. The government was left with no choice but to take military action to establish the writ of law that had been badly damaged by the two maulana brothers.

It is a preposterous accusation that President Musharraf had sabotaged the agreement in order to push the military action. To be certain, there was no agreement at all, so how could it be sabotaged. There were only proposals which were floating between the two parties. In fact, President Musharraf in expectation of an agreement had postponed the operation by about two hours. When the operation was launched at 4am, it was nearly daylight, thus depriving the commandoes of the advantage of darkness.

The soldiers engaged in the ‘Operation Silence’ have exhibited great patience and good judgment. A soldier is trained to use brute force to attain the goal and get it over with quickly. He is not trained to be diplomatic or be mild or hesitant. At Hafsa the commanders acted diplomatically, mildly and hesitantly and very rightly so. They kept on extending the deadline at regular basis. It was due to this strategy that 3300 young pupils, males and females, made their escape good before and during the operation.

A question arises why the two maulana brothers were hoarding arms and ammunition in the House of God. When and where they wanted to use it and for what purpose? It is obvious that they could not have conquered Islamabad with this sorry assortment of weapons. Most probably they were planning to unleash a reign of terror in Islamabad. A bomb blast or a suicide bombing or a burst or two of Kalashnikov at a busy market would have a horrible impact nationwide if carried out in the federal capital. The linkage of the two brothers with the Taliban and Al Qaeda does lead us to believe that they were planning subversive activities in the capital to pave the way for Talibanization.

President Gen Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz have both made declarations that never again the Lal Masjid like situation would be allowed to develop. The president has warned that no mosque or madrassa would be allowed to be used for militancy and terrorism. PM Shaukat Aziz has echoed the words of the president that attempts to use madrassas for promoting militancy and extremism would not be tolerated. Regrettably, declarations are not enough to stop the surge of extremism in Pakistan. Very concrete steps and honest commitment is needed to stop the virus bug of extremism from infecting the young and raw minds.

very nice read

salam
hmm good article we have to control this situattion or we are going in war with us and nato the mad war against terror they are killing our army sllowly problems are occuring

Good job SSG

Yes excellent job considering they were fighting against an enemy in an CQB scenario who had month's to prepare defences and had civilians amongst their midst.

I think this shows that the SSG is well equipped to deal with these kind of terrorist/hostage scenarios, hopefully they'll be used more in the future. A shame about the casualties, hope they RIP and lessons are learnt where they can be.

An opinion published in today's Dawn which I think is an objective perspective of the action and its after math. I personally dont agree that Mulla Rashid should have been let off but I respect every ones point of view.

The Lal Masjid phenomenon

By Dr Tariq Rahman

IT IS a fact that the Lal Masjid clerics violated the law on several counts: they encroached on CDA land; they allowed their students to occupy a library; they also allowed them to abduct Pakistani women, policemen and Chinese women. Then, when the Rangers were posted around the mosque, the students threatened and attacked them and burnt a building. They carried guns, some wore gas masks and they fired on security personnel. Is this not armed rebellion against the state?

If it is, which state would allow it? From what I know of Islamic political theory, the latter, too, does not allow armed rebellion against the state — irrespective of whether or not it is Islamic. There are many texts prohibiting disorder (fitna) and political philosophers make it clear that even a bad government is better than chaos and anarchy.

In Saudi Arabia, when militants occupied the Kaaba in 1979, they were attacked and wiped out. In short, it is part of the job of a state not to allow its writ to be challenged through armed struggle in this manner. If every group of vigilantes, with its own version of right and wrong, started kidnapping people and threatening armed struggle the state would descend into chaos.

What is permitted in democratic states is challenging the legitimacy of the rulers through elections, strikes, demonstrations, etc.

But letting anarchy loose upon the citizens is not permitted. That has to be ended; if possible through negotiations but if nothing works through force or the threat of force. So, anyone who blames General Musharraf’s government for challenging the militant clerics of Lal Masjid does not know what a dangerous course he or she is advocating.

This does not mean that everything the government did was right. It let the crisis simmer on for about six months. The stick-wielding girls of Jamia Hafsa were intoxicated by their unusual success as militants. They, as well as male students, dared to do more but were not stopped. They were spoiled into imagining they were heroes: the madressah was shown on TV; the maulanas were lionised; the girls were interviewed. This went to their heads and they started what they thought was a revolution.

All this could have been avoided if women police had been used and appropriate punishments handed out early into the crisis.

Also, one does not see how the intelligence agencies let so many arms and so much ammunition accumulate in the mosque. If there were hardened fighters, as evidence suggests there were, how did they get in? Either the agencies encouraged the maulanas to divert attention from the judicial crisis or they (the agencies) were really so ill-informed that they did not know what was happening right under their nose.

Moreover, if Maulana Abdul Rashid Ghazi had asked for safe passage at any time he should have been accommodated. True, this would have been considered a weakness by many and would have made the sacrifices of military personnel and students appear in vain but then, these things were worth risking.

What was not worth risking was the backlash of ordinary, middle-class Pakistanis accusing the government of brutality or, even worse, of having done all this to please the United States. So, both for humanitarian and political reasons, Maulana Abdul Rashid Ghazi should not have been allowed to become a martyr.

Yet another mistake was the ill-treatment meted out to the media which was prevented from going in, stopped from meeting people and even barred from seeing the Lal Masjid in its entirety the day after the operation was over.

Instead, the media should have been allowed to film and show everything, even if the scenes were shocking. Now that they have been denied this, media persons have adopted a cynical attitude towards the government which will eventually help the militants.

Helping the militants become stronger is neither in the interest of the government nor of the media nor, of course, of ordinary citizens. Indeed, it is not even in the interests of the militants themselves since history tells us that when one group of militants wins a war others challenge it and the country descends into civil war.

The media’s own role however, needs to be both praised and criticised. To begin with, the media was against the intransigent clerics. Reporters risked their lives and a cameraman was killed in covering the crisis. However, when Maulana Abdul Aziz was captured, the media turned irresponsible. He was ridiculed as he was shown in a burqa ad nauseam.

Later, he was even forced to appear in a PTV interview in that attire. That was really atrocious. One should never, not on any account, make fun of anybody or hurt a person deliberately. Disagreement with the maulana is one thing but not to respect his feelings quite another. This one unkind act might well have turned the tide against a peaceful settlement inside the Lal Masjid. Indeed, Maulana Abdul Aziz’s action should have been praised because fleeing is better than the kind of obstinacy which takes innocent lives.

Later, either because the media had been badly treated or because many media people themselves are susceptible to religious emotionality, many TV commentators started glorifying Abdul Rashid Ghazi. His last words were repeated several times and, on the whole, the government was blamed more than it should have been. Many of those who were blaming the government for inaction started blaming it for action. This was not helpful to anyone.

The media must understand that whereas its duty is to present all sides of a story, it also has to interpret events. If this interpretation goes against the basic principle that the state cannot be challenged by armed might, then it will mislead the public.

This is the beginning of a struggle against militant Islamic forces and the moderate sections of society. Whose side is the media on? This is a crucial question.

An even more vital question is: on whose side are the intelligence agencies? Elements in the armed forces? Political groups? Let us not forget that for a very long time Islamists have been used in fighting secular battles — America’s battle against the Soviets in Afghanistan and Pakistan’s battle against India for Kashmir — and the idiom of Islam has been used by the official media and in books, speeches, etc. to achieve the goals.

General Musharraf said in 2002 that he had reversed all this. But has it truly been reversed or are there elements somewhere that keep old policies in abeyance to be used some day? This is a question on which the fate of Pakistan hinges.

We must understand that the madressahs are not the only source of violence using the name of Islam. People educated in secular institutions — doctors, engineers and college lecturers — have been active in militant circles all over the world.The world is unjust and as long as the United States does not change its policies that are currently in favour of Israel and against the Palestinians and western powers are not sensitised to Muslim feelings and ideas, there will be anger.

This is the greatest threat to global peace but we can hardly influence foreign powers. What we can do is to change policies at home. Here too there is much anger. As Pakistan becomes more and more unjust and the gap between the rich and the poor gets larger, more desperate young men will emerge. They will use the idiom of religion to vent their frustrations.

If one looks at the images of the mosque one finds poor, rural people, generally from the margins of the country, mesmerised by the militant message of clerics. Were they expressing their anger and their sense of being marginalised and cheated by the system by fighting for the Ghazi brothers?

Our system is unjust and poor people respond to all those who appeal to them in the name of Islam or ethnicity or any such thing with blind fanaticism. This means that we must seriously pay attention to providing justice, material goods, services (such as hospitals, schools etc) and entertainment to the masses. Moreover, the elite should adhere to the law because one has the moral standing to challenge law-breakers only if one adheres to the spirit of the law oneself. I do not know if history will give us the time to reform ourselves but is there any harm in trying?

http://www.dawn.com/2007/07/17/op.htm#2

Dear Dabong1,

I hope the truth is known one day. I am sure some one turned a blind eye and allowed the arms and ammunition in and the sufferers were the SSG, Rangers and the students inside the mosque.

It also hurt the image of Pakistan world wide.

Regrds

Thank god there is another person on the forum that has not taken in all the bullsh*t mushy has been feeding the media.
The truth has not come out on who killed Gen Zia,The bangladesh war,Kargil and many other things,i can not see it changing now.

Thank god there is another person on the forum that has not taken in all the bullsh*t mushy has been feeding the media.
The truth has not come out on who killed Gen Zia,The bangladesh war,Kargil and many other things,i can not see it changing now.

Have you even watched news from Pakistan? During the LM crisis I watched Geo and ARY. If anything they were anti govt.

They talked to Mr.Ghazi on a mobile phone that was provided to him by the Pakistani Authorities, he did this before the raid and DURING the raid itself. Now tell me this, what other country would allow the media to talk to such people during the raid itself or even in the negotiations phase?

Blast on stage for CJ’s address, 12 killed
Updated at 2125 PST
ISLAMABAD: Twelve persons were killed and a number of people wounded in a suicide bomb explosion on the stage prepared for the address of the Chief Justice to the Islamabad Bar.

In hospitals, 12 dead bodies have been brought, most of them badly burnt. The killed people included three women.

Ten dead bodies have been brought to the PIMS Hospital while two have reached the Poly Clinic.

The police has cordoned the affected area just after the explosion. Ambulances were seen taking the wounded people to hospitals. Blood and human organs were spread at the place of explosion while the blast has broken the glasses of vehicles.

The Chief Justice was due here to address the Islamabad Bar and now he has entered the Supreme Court whereas the lawyers are allowed to enter only the main building.

Of course we need to immediately set up a "negotiating team" and find out what these "becharay maulvi", who are only fighting against "immorality" and for the "enforcement of Shariah" need. There are no words that can express the rage I am feeling right now.

Of course the usual suspects will ignore the repeated statements of the Lal Masjid Bradran threatening to send out "thousands of suicide bombers", the repeated statements of the "Tribal Taliban" to do the same, the repeated statements of Mullah Fazlullah in SWAT to initiate suicide bombings and attacks on troops, and fantastically spin their conspiracy theories and "Mullah apologetics" to blame the government; without any evidence of course.

Dabong janab, what exactly are you trying to say? The discussion with you seems to be an endless cycle. When the illegal activities of the Mullah bradran are brought up, you divert towards the alleged killings by the MQM; then you backtrack and and say that "well there were no weapons in Lal Masjid at all, they were all planted by the goverment". Could you try and factually defend your position one point at a time?

The Mullah bradran are on record with several international and Pakistani newspapers reporting that they were threatening to unleash suicide bombers in Pakistani cities against innocent people. There is no doubt that they kidnapped innocent people and murdered LEA's. What about this is "spin"?

Even if your theory, of Musharraf or an ISI bigwig condoning or supporting the buildup of weapons, is correct, how does that acquit the Mullah bradran of their actions? They were not children. They willingly accumulated the weapons, they willingly committed illegal activities, they willingly sought an armed confrontation with the Army and refused to surrender. They bear complete responsibility for the consequences that resulted from their actions. If they were "manipulated", then they again bear responsibility for being foolish enough to be led into committing "illegal" acts by their "manipulators". That also does not say much for their "faith", if they were so easily led astray.

You have also brought up the MQM and the alleged indifference towards their alleged murders. First of all, it is illogical to justify inaction towards one crime by referencing another. At the simplest level, this is akin to that oft repeated phrase we heard in our childhood from our parents; "If your friend jumps off a building will you do the same?". If thats how you want to debate issues then we might as well just disband our LEA's completely since murders, robberies and rapes go unsolved every day in Pakistan and almost every other country in the world. The "inaction towards the MQM" is a completely seperate issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom