What's new

Body Armour

We do make good quality body armor. We use the lightest Level III inserts available on the market. Vest design could use an upgrade. I have been pushing that for years. Hopefully soon.

Current configuration with Level IV inserts can be done with a total weight of 18.5 lbs.

Tamir, i understand that ceramic inserts are prone to micro fractures and US army regularly checks their inserts with X-ray for and possible micro fractures.

I want to know the difference between regular ceramic plates and these

EnGarde DYNEEMA®/Cer. insert Level IV
This insert consists of a combination of DYNEEMA® and Ceramic. The insert is 3D curved can withstand grenade shrapnel and armor piecing bullets (e.g. 7.62x63 AP) This insert gives a Level IV protection in conjunction with (ICW) a Level IIIA vest.

Specifications:
Size: 10" x 12"
Weight: 2.8 kg / 6.15 lbs
Thickness: 1.7 cm / 0.67"

Buy Hard Armor and Helmets available at EnGarde body armor

Will they have micro fractures just like regular plates if a soldier has a hard fall.

My second question is that if our army sticks with Level III then what are the chances of seeing side inserts?

There is no difference between a regular ceramic insert and the one you copied a link for. Some inserts have aramid backing which is a little cheaper. The lighter inserts have HPPE backing like Dyneema. This insert also needs to be used in conjunction with the vest to provide Level IV protection. It is not a standalone Level IV and in my opinion heavy for a Level IV.

The difference besides the backing will be the ceramic itself. Aluminum Oxide ceramic is the cheaper kind. Quality ceramic makers are using silicone carbide and boron carbide for their inserts. Boron carbide is still pretty expensive.

The ceramic armor by composition is very brittle and prone to fractures. As long as the backing is not delaminating, the armor should function. All the stopping power is in the lamination of the ceramic itself. The ceramic will deform the projectile and the backing will catch it. During initial manufacturing stages we tried to laminate ceramic inserts locally in Pakistan to keep costs down. Coorstek supplied us with 10"x12" single curvature plates for $18. We managed with fiberglass backing but it was not satisfactory. Too heavy and a lot of delamination after a couple of shots. We were lacking the right ballistics epoxy and overall technology.

These flexible ceramic inserts were offered to the Pak Army.

On the question of side inserts... unfortunately decisions like these are made from results in the battlefield. I am hoping not to see casualties. If the Army does decide to implement side protection, all the current vests in service will need their outershells modified to carry side inserts.

Thanks a lot for the information. BTW i was first informed by someone about cavaliers back in 2007 but unlike Lyra they do not have a site where anyone could see their products.

Cavalier is run by a very dear friend of mine. I cannot speak for them but their end user is the Pak Army. Cavalier is pretty busy supplying the Army with other load bearing vest, combat gear etc. We maintained a website for 8 years with only a couple of clients that we supplied to. Eventually we stopped updating the site and took it offline.

Our goal was to get a very small share of the US market but potential clients immediately got apprehensive with our lower prices. They questioned the quality of the product. Our reply was that we used the same SAPIs and Kevlar the US Army was using but it was very difficult going up against the "big fish" in the body armor industry.

ca86a4c32a54b86eda68544714ce3d0d.jpg

Rear Panel for IOTV vest (large)

ca041d7a65a4b2abd3bb57ea460a4706.jpg

Kevlar KM2 is much softer and flexible than current Kevlar 129 vests. We need lighter and more flexible vests. With better outer carriers that are more breathable and move the moisture away from the body.

Cavalier is run by a very dear friend of mine. I cannot speak for them but their end user is the Pak Army. Cavalier is pretty busy supplying the Army with other load bearing vest, combat gear etc.

I knew about that back in 2007 through someone who used to be in procurement department of the army(don't remember the exact name).

Anyways thanks for the information and i hope that you get good business from there.

Regards

Hi Tamir, Could you pls give me the Pakistan Army vest technical requirements? Regards

Last edited:
Dear Tamir,

Could u plz provide me which vest from Lyra is the best one. I need it for my bro who is in the army as i dont trust the ones supplied by army. model and specs plz.
Thx

Lyra has supplied half of the last order to the Army. "Officially" you won't be able to buy a vest from any of the manufacturers in Pakistan.

The soft armor panels and Dyneema inserts are very good. Keep in mind that nothing is bulletproof. The Pakistan Army went for the lightest Level III inserts. We have supplied to Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. They insisted on steel plates due to budget constraints.

I hope your brother is safe along with the rest of our brave men. PM if you need more info.

Hi Tamir,

How can i send you a personal message?

AoA Tamir,

Well i had called up Lyra, they said that if I provide a proof of employment, meaning an employment letter from the army, then they would be able to sell it on individual basis. I also got the prices from them.

So now which model would u suggest looking at the current scenario? Except for the Interceptor Body Armour as its bulky.

And are Lyra any good. Definitely the ones provided to the army would be of not the best quality as army would be looking at the price too. They must have gone with the ones which provide sufficient protection. I need something better then that.

Suggestion would be appreciated.

Thx

Back
Top Bottom