What's new

Block 2 JF-17 makes first flight ahead of Block 3 improvements

What is it suggesting?
Block 2 JF-17 makes first flight ahead of Block 3 improvements

Publication:Jane's Defence Weekly
Last posted:2015-03-17

The first Block 2 JF-17 Thunder combat aircraft made its maiden flight from the Pakistan Aeronautical Company (PAC) facility at Kamra on 9 February.
The aircraft (serial number 2P01) made three more successful flights before being taken to the paint shop in mid-February. The test flights came as a boost as PAC continues to look for a first export customer for its platform.
Air Commodore Ahsan Rafiq, Deputy Chief Project Director (Operations) JF-17 and a former commanding officer of the JF-17 Test and Evaluation Unit, described the Block 2 version as "an upgraded Block 1 with an air-to-air refuelling (AAR) probe, enhanced oxygen system [to allow the pilot to stay in the air longer], and improved electronic countermeasures system (ECS)".
The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) has a contract for 50 Block 2 JF-17s but as Air Cdre Ahsan pointed out, "the full AAR system will not appear until the 29th jet, which should fly later this year [at Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC) in China]."
In a further development that sends a clear signal that PAC and Chinese marketing partner CATIC intend business in the international arena, the Block 2 JF-17 will also have a two-seater version, which is now being developed at Chengdu according to the PAF's requirements.
"We know potential customers would like to see a two-seater, although it is not such a big deal for the PAF, which started flying several types, [A-5, F-6, F-7P and F-7PG] without a training version," Air Cdre Ahsan said. "This will give us the chance to show potential suitors how the jet can perform in the air."

COMMENT

Air Cdre Ahsan said that while Block 1 and 2 JF-17s will not differ significantly - with Block 1 JF-17's ECS likely to be upgraded when it suits the PAF, it will be a different story with the Block 3 series.
"We are still developing the Block 3 configuration, but it will be a considerably different aircraft compared to the previous two blocks," he said. "A new AESA [active electronically scanned array] radar will be integrated, but this is still in the design stage; however, we are looking at both Western and Eastern options."
Integrating an AESA with the SD-10A beyond-visual-range missile will provide the PAF and any other JF-17 operator with a long-range, all-aspect precision day and night engagement capability.

As the JF-17 continues to evolve, aircraft units will start coming off the PAC Kamra production line more quickly. The facility is also set to reach the 58% transfer of technology agreed with China, which had been previously slowed down to keep it in line with the plant's infrastructure and equipment growth.
It is suggesting when AESA would come than SD-10A can be fired from JF-17 at least that is what I am able to understand please explain Sir G @Dazzler ???????????

It is suggesting when AESA would come than SD-10A can be fired from JF-17 at least that is what I am able to understand please explain Sir G @Dazzler ???????????

What its English suggests is that the SD-10A will ALSO be integrated with the AESA on the block-3 which will offer improved engagement capability to what is available with the KLJ-7.

Integrating an AESA with the SD-10A beyond-visual-range missile will provide the PAF and any other JF-17 operator with a long-range, all-aspect precision day and night engagement capability.

:rofl: :rofl:
the line is pretty clear

What its English suggests is that the SD-10A will ALSO be integrated with the AESA on the block-3 which will offer improved engagement capability to what is available with the KLJ-7.
Okay thanks for the clarification good news BLOCK II read and work on BLOCK III with AESA starts

:rofl: :rofl:
the line is pretty clear
No it was not @Oscar just cleared it for me

i thought block 2 have AESA. something like Raven ES-05 AESA radar (SAAB GRIPEN). NOW WAITING FOR BLOCK-3, ........... :undecided:
775728333.jpg

The Block II variant is expected to be followed by the Block III, which might feature a more powerful engine (WS-13?), a new AESA radar and additional types of weapons. A tandem-seat trainer version (JF-17B) was first unveiled at the 2013 Paris Airshow by CATIC, which has the electronic compartment removed from top of the vertical tailfin. However so far PAF has showed no commitment to this design. The assembling of the first three JF-17 Block IIs (S/N 15-20x) started at PAC in mid-2014. First flight of 15-201 took place on February 9, 2015. It is expected that all the Block I JF-17s will be upgraded to the Block II standard in the future. A recent report (January 2015) indicated that one FC-1 prototype (#0213) was testing a new environmental control system for the high temperature/high humidity environment, presumably at the request of potential customers from Africa, South Asia or South America.
- Last Updated 3/18/15

bhai jo kahoon ga sach kahoon ga sach ke siwa kuch nhi kahoon ga . achi dekh ker shadi ki thi qasam se per kya hoa mujh se pooch :( bus ab to her cheez jesi ho chala lety hain . ye fighter jet ka straw hai teel peeny wala hum to itna janty hain .

Shoher-oun kay masayel aur un ka hul perho afaqa ho ga :D aur aurat Ko na su-majh-nay ki koshish kerna na hi sum-jhanay ki or else you will be dooomed :D

Waisay acha hai tail pinay wala hai luganay wala nahin :D

same hai wohi purana wala bus yahan security cover laga rakha hai yaar

Acha I remember someone mentioned that it's some kind of swash plate or PESA I was confused though and still confused :/

Block one are already under going up gradation for Blk 2 standard and my info is that almost more than 30 are already put in service back after upgrading. Air commdr \Khalid in his interview also confirmed for upgraded BLK-1's.

Last year at the inauguration of blk 2 Nawaz Sharif visited where 109 was shown with IFR and missiles integrated . SD-10 and C-802. Later 129 was shown in some picture with some one in the forum stated for its confirmation.
The real excitement comes with the numbers stated of serial production that 29 aircraft's will be made up til end of this year and then few aircraft's will be shown with IFR probe. Its because first testing phases are completed and then all type of integrations starts like weapons and IFR .etc.

Thunder with weapons.jpg

specs for BLK 2 are not revealed yet. I dont think blk 2 configuration has changed much. Its mainly for BVR, C 802 and other all type of stand off weapons. The computer system MIl-1550 bus is replaced or upgraded to 1770 for compatibility for long range weapons like SD-10 etc

what about composite material being used in blck 2 to reduce its weight ?? no improvements in avionics and what about Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System ??? and what about advancement on the aircrafts cockpit ??

PAF has a habbit for disclosing such info on Air shows only. wait for next Air show

Back
Top Bottom