What's new

Blast in Lahore's Z Block area Reported

8 killed in explosion in Lahore's Defence area
AGENCIES | DAWN.COM | IMRAN GABOL — UPDATED 14 minutes ago
102 COMMENTS
PRINT

A powerful explosion in an under-construction building in Lahore's busy Defence Y block area, left at least eight people dead and 35 injured.

Punjab government authorities have claimed that the blast was the result of a "generator explosion". However multiple sources, including Nayab Haider, a spokesman for the provincial Punjab police have said the explosion was caused by a bomb.

What we know so far
  • At least 8 people killed, 35 injured

• The blast was either a 'generator explosion' or a 'bomb attack'

• Search operation launched in the area
The area where the first blast occurred is a busy locality with several commercial offices and eateries. Footage shows nearby offices including HBL, Toni and Guy, Gloria Jeans, Bombay Chowpatty, Jalalsons among others.

View image on Twitter
C5VT8_TWcAAuRI7.jpg:small

Follow
Ali Raza @AliRazaTweets

Blast in Z Block DHA Lahore.

10:26 AM - 23 Feb 2017 · Sindh, Pakistan

Extent of damage
TV footage shows windows of several offices and eateries in the commercial area shattered by shrapnel.

TV footage shows shattered windscreens in cars parked nearby as well as rubble from the damaged building strewn across the road. Windscreens of cars parked over 100 feet away from the building were shattered and there was considerable damage to the cars' bodies.

Residents and nearby shoppers panicked as the explosion was heard, and eyewitnesses described people evacuating buildings and running from the scene of the incident.

Broken crockery and furniture was strewn on the road in the area and the road appeared to be carpeted by shattered glass.

'People were crushed'
A Rescue 1122 official said 35 people are injured and being treated in hospitals, with some sustaining critical wounds. "The injuries are severe... the magnitude of the blast - the impact - is very high. One storey collapsed and people were crushed underneath."

A witness who works at a bank in the market told Reuters that his workplace was shaken by a “frightening” explosion.

“We left the building and saw that the motor-bikes parked outside were on fire and all the windows in the surrounding buildings were shattered,” the witness, Mohammad Khurram, said.

Search operation ongoing
The market had been sealed by law enforcement personnel and a search operation is ongoing. Teams from Punjab Forensic Science Laboratory had reached the spot to collect evidence.

Parents were also told to take their children back home as schools in the area had been asked to shut down for the day, DawnNews reported.

Capital City Police Officer Lahore is present at the site of the blast, DawnNews reported. CCTV footage has been requested from all shops in the area. DawnNews reported.

Punjab law minister Rana Sanaullah said after the blast: "There was no reason to target the building. I have been informed that plaza was not inaugurated yet."

The report of the blast came as cities across Pakistan were put on high alert after a spate of deadly terror attacks.

A day earlier, the military announced a massive urban counter-terrorism operation after a week of bombings in Punjab, Sindh, Fata, Khyber Pakhtunwa and Balochistan took at least 100 lives.

Scenes from the blast site
58ae90da61fcc.jpg

58ae90da60f6c.jpg

58ae90da2cc4c.jpg

58ae8fac97a99.png

58ae8f71d131c.png

This is a developing story that is being updated as the situation evolves. Initial reports in the media can sometimes be inaccurate. We will strive to ensure timeliness and accuracy by relying on credible sources such as concerned, qualified authorities and our staff reporters.

It Was An Accidental Generator Blast Based On What My Friend Has Just Told me From DHA Few Minutes Ago

Need to talk this guy about he is decorated with a crescent and strips yet behaves like an immature person believing in hearsay that too in these times while passing fake news without any verification.
Since the authorities are aware of this, I'm sure they would have words with him.
Last time PAF was doing bombing exercise in the vicinity and the local phone exchange crashed with people phoning thinking the's been a major accident at the nearby Dadu oilfields.

Lahore bomb blast 'kills six'
23 February 2017 Asia
BBC News

At least six people have been killed in a bomb attack in the Pakistani city of Lahore, officials say.
The blast ripped through a shopping area, wounding another 30 people.
Pakistan has been hit by a wave of bombings claimed by Islamist militant groups in recent days. There was no immediate claim for the latest attack.
Police now say 90 people were killed in an attack at a shrine in the town of Sehwan last week which was claimed by the so-called Islamic State (IS).
In response, Pakistan launched a security crackdown, which included closing border crossings with Afghanistan, and claims it killed 100 militants.
Thursday's attack happened in Lahore's Defence Housing Authority suburb. Television footage showed buildings and cars damaged by the blast.
Initial reports suggested it was caused by an electricity generator exploding but police later said they believed it was a bomb.
Last week a Taliban faction said it carried out a bomb attack in Lahore, which killed 13 people and wounded more than 80.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39062521

It can be generatir and or gas cylinder explosion. It can not be terrorists attack because what they gona get out of by targeting building under counstruction

It can be generatir and or gas cylinder explosion. It can not be terrorists attack because what they gona get out of by targeting building under counstruction
Some people want to make it a bomb blast but at the moment I am more concerned about the people who are injured in this accident. May Allah give them health.

Lets wait for forensics to confirm what happened.

Only way it can be a bomb explosion is that someone was using that under construction building to hide explosive and somehow it exploded prematurely.

This is ridiculous. Some member just for sake of "me first" and ratings, are posting rumors like a third grade journalist. PDF team must have some rules and regulations for this. We are actually bigger victim of spiritual war than the physical. I believe that these current physical incidents are actually a part of spiritual game. Enemy is targeting our hope.
@Horus @WebMaster @The Eagle

What are u talking man.....????? I think you want to say something about psychological war?????

Last edited:
The location does not seem to be a viable target for a terror strike. So either a generator or a malfunctioning bomb, originally meant for some other target.

Our thoughts are with the dead and injured but to me it looks as if some industrial type of explosives that may have been stored there that detonated by accident.

The location does not seem to be a viable target for a terror strike. So either a generator or a malfunctioning bomb, originally meant for some other target.

When the purpose of terrorism is to create chaos and unrest then viable target remains the country at whole and any soft place within country to do so. Malfunction of bomb stored there to use later, I don't know how this come into consideration to discuss at all. The place is not some abandoned structure that terrorists can use it as a store so either it was terrorism or something else like incident.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom