What's new

Beneath burqa, a mangalsutra and chooda

Jade

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: As burqa-clad Sumaira walks past the streets of Jama Masjid, there's nothing really striking about her. That's until she flashes the bright red bangles she's wearing — the kind that newly married Hindu women have around their wrists.

Young Muslim women in India, and even Pakistan, can be increasingly seen sporting the chooda, mangalsutra and often the sindoor. And they see no taboo in it, taking it as a fashion statement, something that adds to their 'just married' look.

''Wearing a chooda doesn't make me a Hindu or a lesser Muslim," says 21-year-old Sumaira. "See, among Muslims there is nothing that differentiates married women from those who are still single. I have been fascinated with choodas ever since I was a kid. So that was one of the first things I bought after my engagement. In fact, my cousin Saima, too, wore one at her nikah." So did Huda Ahmad, also from the Jama Masjid area here, when she got married last week. To her surprise, none of her relatives objected.

It's not only the chooda. The demand for mangalsutras is picking up, and not just in India but also in Pakistan where many of those who ask for it attribute it to the influence of India's enormously popular saas-bahu soaps.

Two years ago, when Naseema Aziz, a resident of Karachi, visited her relatives in Delhi they were startled to see her buy seven diamond-studded mangalsutras from Karol Bagh. "Mangalsutra is a beautiful neckpiece and goes with every suit," Naseema explained over phone.

"If one is wearing it out of choice, there's nothing wrong in it. In Pakistan everyone knows I am a Muslim. Merely wearing a mangalsutra won't have me confused for a Hindu."

Jewellers in Delhi confirm this trend. "In the past two-three years, we have seen a growing number of Muslim women, some in burqas, ask for the mangalsutra," says Ankit Kohli, owner of Raj Jewellers. "They prefer the ones that have diamond pendants."

With the mangalsutra and chooda finding favour among Muslim women, how can the sindoor, that eternal sign of a married Hindu girl, be left behind? But while most Hindu women prefer red sindoor, Muslims tend to go for orange. Interestingly, in parts of Kolkata the two different shades have come to distinguish women from the two communities.

Rizwana, who works as a nanny in Kolkata, has seen her mother with orange sindoor. She followed suit when she herself got married in 2010. "Hindu women use red and we orange. Don't women in Delhi do the same?" the 24-year-old asked. In Bihar, however, many Hindu women also use orange sindoor.

This confluence of cultures can these days be witnessed during Muslim weddings too. Some of them come complete with what resembles the sangeet ceremony.

Omar's wedding in Delhi is on February 23 and he's busy not just with his shopping but frenetic dance rehearsals. "Though the wedding is on the 23rd, the nikah will take place on the 10th. And there is a sangeet-cum-mehendi function with dance performances by relatives and friends. Both Hina, my fiancee, and I will be performing," says the excited man.

When asked why the nikah was being held before the functions, he says, "If we perform together before the nikah, some of our elderly relatives might not like it that the girl and boy are dancing away without even getting formally hitched."

Beneath burqa, a mangalsutra and chooda - The Times of India

Are these Muslims embarrassed by some parts of Islam or they are too much interested in Kuffar Culture and Practices?

Muslims say that it is haram in Islam and such persons are Munafiq as Kuffar culture dilutes their devotion from Sunnah and Allah.

Also, they say that Munafiq is the Worst Scum in Islam.
You seems to be a dumba$$ ,When do this Mangalsutra (Haar in urdu) or Chooda (Choorian in urdu) makes anyone hindu or muslim? Don't be such a ignorant idiot.

You seems to be a dumba$$ ,When do this Mangalsutra (Haar in urdu) or Chooda (Choorian in urdu) makes anyone hindu or muslims ? Don't be such a ignorant idiot.

Isn't Mangalsutra a Kuffar Polytheist religious/cultural Practice?

Then Why is it so difficult for you to pray in a Temple, Huh?

Whats the fuss?? Even Christian women in India uses Sindoor... I have told many times.. Religions in India coming from other countries have adapted many practices from Hinduism.. Nothing new about it..

India is secular, how come religious branding is tolerated?

First of all, go google the word Branding. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Secondly, a secular country tolerates ALL KINDS of religious accessorizing. I don't give a f if you're wearing a tabeez or a mangalsutra.

I know secularism fascinates you. Do read more about it or feel free to ask questions from the Indian members on PDF :)

This is not surprising at all.

There are so many Muslim girls (and even Christian girls) I know dress up like Hindu girls, trust me, it's so plain difficult to tell that they are not Hindu.

Rizwana, who works as a nanny in Kolkata, has seen her mother with orange sindoor. She followed suit when she herself got married in 2010. "Hindu women use red and we orange. Don't women in Delhi do the same?" the 24-year-old asked. In Bihar, however, many Hindu women also use orange sindoor.

What's Muslim Obsession with Saffron?

Many Beards are also Saffron now a days!

This is not surprising at all.

There are so many Muslim girls (and even Christian girls) I know dress up like Hindu girls, trust me, it's so plain difficult to tell that they are not Hindu.

I have attended christian marriage in AP, they dress exactly like hindus (I mean AP hindus obvously, hindu customs vary from place to place). Only thing I hate in christian marriage is the speech by a pastor..

Isn't Mangalsutra a Kuffar Polytheist religious/cultural Practice?

Then Why is it so difficult for you to pray in a Temple, Huh?

Like I said you are a dumba$$ without knowing any religion you guys starts speculating things about it , Mangalsutra or watever may have precious value in hindu religion but it is just like a jewellery among muslims. and about temple just like hindus feels difficulty in breaking idols and removing pictures of their imaginary gods , similarly we can't pray their .

I have attended christian marriage in AP, they dress exactly like hindus (I mean AP hindus obvously, hindu customs vary from place to place). Only thing I hate in christian marriage is the speech by a pastor..

On the contrary, I like the entire Christian way of marriage, short and simple.

There are too many rituals in Hindu marriages.

India is secular, how come religious branding is tolerated?

I am sorry , but what religious branding are you referring to ? .. and among whom.

not clear.

On the contrary, I like the entire Christian way of marriage, short and simple.

There are too many rituals in Hindu marriages.

Even Sikh marriages are short & sweet affairs.

Like I said you are a dumba$$ without knowing any religion you guys starts specualating things about it , Mangalsutra or watever may have precious value in hindu religion but it is just like a jewellery among muslims.

Q: Assalam, I'd like to know whether a girl is allowed to wear the locket ( mangalsutra ) which is weared by many hindu women after marriage? Please clarify.. jazakallah.

A: The Hindu women wear manglasutra as part of their religion; therefore it is not right for Muslim women to wear it:

قال النبي صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم: من تشبہ بقوم فھو منھم (أبوداؤد 559، کتاب اللباس)

وقال القاري: من شبہ نفسہ بالکفار مثلاً في اللباس وغیرہ أو بالفساق أو بالفجار أو بأھل التصوف الصلحاء الأبرار فھو منھم أي في الإثم والخیر (مرقاۃ 8:155، کتاب اللباس، الفصل الثاني)

Answer: Darul Ifta Deoband India

and about temple just like hindus feels difficulty in breaking idols and removing pictures of their imaginary gods , similarly we can't pray their .

The Servant of Allah is mandated to focus only on Allah and not on Kuffar Practices which the PBUH tried so hard to eradicate in his life time.

Back
Top Bottom