What's new

Behave or be like North Korea: former US diplomat Zalmay Khalilzad on Pakistan

Its not about can but about will. Will they do it and at what strategic cost?

I agree with you, I think the next couple months will be detrimental which way the US decides to go.

/Peace

Some pretty strong words from Fmr US ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad.

@pakistani342 : What's your thoughts on the mood in the Capitol Hill? Zal seems to indicate that US Gov is probably resorting to more sticks than carrots this time.

http://www.firstpost.com/world/paki...may-khalilzad-former-us-diplomat-2867468.html

Today, I see in US a greater desire to isolate Pakistan. I think there is a need for a North Korea-type of isolation. We have asked China if they want Pakistan to be North Korea. We are pressing for delay in the IMF package to Pakistan. There has to be a complete suspension of all assistance to Pakistan and to make its military generals and government understand the consequences of continued support for extremist and terrorist groups.

The drone attack was a shot across the bow for Pakistan’s generals. It had a clear message. If we can do that with Mullah Mansour (the successor of Mullah Omar was killed in a US drone attack in Pakistan’s Baluchistan province in May), we can surely tackle the other Taliban leaders.

Stopping the sale of the F-16 fighter jets was another message to them. Reduction in assistance to Pakistan is another message.

He is a former diplomate so his diatribe does not hold any ground now.

Secondly what he is saying like stoppage of IMF funds well GOOD for us.

Stoppage of payment for continuing US WoT activities? well we would still manage to carry these for our ownself and stop assistance to US activities simple as that.

As far as killing of Mansoor well it is you who are crying for negotiations and lack of Pakistan's will to bring Taliban to table.

Lastly these are from his book.

He is a former diplomate so his diatribe does not hold any ground now.

Secondly what he is saying like stoppage of IMF funds well GOOD for us.

Stoppage of payment for continuing US WoT activities? well we would still manage to carry these for our ownself and stop assistance to US activities simple as that.

As far as killing of Mansoor well it is you who are crying for negotiations and lack of Pakistan's will to bring Taliban to table.

Lastly these are from his book.
so maam you think that US congress men and senators wont listen to a retired US diplomat and the lobby behind him but your competent diplomats ... no wonder :drag:

Him ?

I hope you are not referring to me :D

/Peace

Indeed him not you. But it seems that Indian newspaper is trying to fuel the recent tension between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Because it is quoting from his recently published book. And at a time we we two neighbours are having tension

so maam you think that US congress men and senators wont listen to a retired US diplomat and the lobby behind him but your competent diplomats ... no wonder :drag:

They would only listen to what is going to carry forward their political agendas and at the moment what a turd like zalamy is saying is not in US favour

Just like your whole generation hunted by nato and US, is that what you are saying, if hate that much how about taking your three million brothers back.

Mate you are becoming emotional here, neither you, nor I are in the decision making apparatus of AF or PAK, we are here because we want to exchange ideas and argue over the current geopolitical situation of our neighbourhood, so in a way its a learning platform and not a decision making one, if you don't agree with my argumentation, please refrain from quoting me or quote me when you have something concrete to say, going personal doesnt help anyone.

/Peace

Indeed him not you. But it seems that Indian newspaper is trying to fuel the recent tension between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Because it is quoting from his recently published book. And at a time we we two neighbours are having tension

They would only listen to what is going to carry forward their political agendas and at the moment what a turd like zalamy is saying is not in US favour

You have a point there, anyways as an Afghan my loyalty resides with Afghan interests, India, Pakistan, US ... makes no difference to me, what matters is whether our interest converge or diverge.

well maam its not about politics its about money and power so please care to tell me how hard its for US to influence those in power in islamabad when all your past and present political , military or judicial or buerocratic elite or diplomats there wealth , properties and family intersts are based either in USA or its allies

war in afghanistan is not that important to them but what they make due to it or after it i hope you understand my point maam

You have a point there, anyways as an Afghan my loyalty resides with Afghan interests, India, Pakistan, US ... makes no difference to me, what matters is whether our interest converge or diverge.

Indeed. So do your interests converge or diverge by this plan of Zalmay?

Mate you are becoming emotional here, neither you, nor I are in the decision making apparatus of AF or PAK, we are here because we want to exchange ideas and argue over the current geopolitical situation of our neighbourhood, so in a way its a learning platform and not a decision making one, if you don't agree with my argumentation, please refrain from quoting me or quote me when you have something concrete to say, going personal doesnt help anyone.

/Peace
Sorry who is getting emotional...of course not me, I still believe you are among very very few sane afghani voices in this forum, no disrespect to anyone but have you realised that what Pakistan have gone through in the last four decades, it's bleeding from every where, the things Afghanistan are propagating would not heal our wounds, any ways Afghanies needs to be repatriated in their homeland back on asap.

American's don't hate Pakistan, only those paid by Indians. In the mean time, Pakistan has looked to spend in the U.S. Congress and Senate to counter Indian influence.

This is a profitable business.
Are you sure about it?
FT_americans-pakistan-trust.png

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/23/few-americans-trust-pakistan/

My God Please Isolate us if you can. this continous lambasting of isolation first by indians and now their chums in the principality of Kabul is really begining to grow old. I think they need to think of something else we cannot be isolated so try conjuring up something else from your unmatched immagination.

Treat Pakistan as second North Korea if it doesn’t mend ways: Ex-US envoy.

The triangular relationship between India, Pakistan, and the United States was one of the many subjects addressed by former US Ambassador to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad at a talk at the Observer Research Foundation in Delhi about his new book, The Envoy: From Kabul to the White House, My Journey Through a Turbulent World.

Khalilzad, who also served as US ambassador to Iraq and the UN, recently called for a "complete isolation policy" for Pakistan for the US. He reiterated today that the US must "suspend all aid, withdraw IMF support, and threaten it as if it were a second North Korea" if Pakistan did not "stop sponsoring radicalism and extremism."

Khalilzad underlined that the mother of all problems for Afghanistan and its relationship with the US and India has been Pakistan's "sanctuary issue." On US failure to address terror threats from Pakistan beyond American contexts, Khalilzad said: "America is like a large ship. Once it has set course, it takes a while to change direction."

More...
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...end-ways-ex-us-envoy/articleshow/53015515.cms

http://www.firstpost.com/world/paki...may-khalilzad-former-us-diplomat-2867468.html

Pakistan can never be Isolated!!
Isolation from America will not Impact Pakistan ,They will always need Pakistan to do something to this Afghan Problem..
Pakistan cannot be Isolated like North Korea,Even North korea is isolated because of its own Policies,This khalilzad is Stupid..

Unfortunately, Pakistanis dont consistently remind americans and indians of fazlullah and kalbhoshan yadav respectively. Every such comment about Pakistan should at once be reciprocated with denial and a demand for taking action against ttp goons and indian sponsored terrorists.

Thats not true, Pakistan do consistenty tries to remind world of kulbhushan and that other fellow, but the world does not bother to listen.

Afghan Talibans are Afghanis..being aided by Pakistan does not mean anything..this Afghani idiot needs two slaps thats all...isolate Pakistan..ha ha ha! I think he is forgetting his own isolation which was worst than North Korea..

That is coming from Indian and US lackey. Pay him double and he will be licking Pakistani boots.

Back
Top Bottom