What's new

Bangladesh set to overtake India in terms of GDP per capita by 2030: Standard Chartered Bank

Only 5.7K? I was hoping about 10k by 2030? Is the 5.7K in current dollars of 2030 dollars?
Current dollar of course. No one knows what will be the value of dollar in 2030. So it is pointless to calculate anything in 2030 dollar by mere assumption which is full of uncertainty.

Last edited:
Yeah come back in 2030 and we will talk about it. Nowadays it is impossible to predict events of next year and you are talking about 2030. Indian economy has stability and strong base to support its growth whereas Bangladeshi economy is dependant on Indian economy. If india grows you will grow as well if they dont you will collapse as well.

Where did you get the information Bangladesh is dependent on India’s economy?

Btw, can you quote me PPP /capita for Bangladesh too? I mean if the growth rate numbers are not fudged why is it, that interms of purchase power parity Bangladesh still lacks behind Pakistan/India?
Currency depreciation do not affect the PPP GDP. Pakistan's nominal GDP declined but not the PPP GDP. Bangladesh's nominal GDP crossed Pakistan earlier than expected because of massive depreciation of Pak Rupee against Dollar. But PPP is unaffected by this development. But Bangladesh's per PPP will also cross Pakistan within few years if current gap of GDP growth persists.

Even if Pakistan had not undergone massive depreciation of rupee, still Bangladesh's nominal GDP per Capita would have been somewhat higher than Pakistan. Because Bangladesh's economy somewhat more integrated with world market. So there is comparatively less gap in actual value and exchange rate value of Bangladesh's national currency Taka compared to Pakistan or India. That's why Taka's PPP factor is less compared to Indian or Pakistani rupee. In other word, 1 dollar has somewhat less purchasing power in Bangladesh compared to India or Pakistan. This less purchasing power of 1 dollar in Bangladesh means, goods in Bangladesh are comparatively pricier than India or Pakistan. But not all goods, some goods which Bangladesh import or artificially priced up by a lot of govt. tax. When IMF or World Bank calculate PPP factor, they take into consideration of price of a range of products both locally grown and imported.

The ratio between per capita ppp and per capita nominal in 3 countries-

Bangladesh-2.64
India-3.85
Pakistan-4.30

This means, Pakistani Rupee is most undervalued against dollar among three currencies, then Indian Rupee and Bangladeshi taka is comparatively less undervalued against dollar.
@Bengal71

Last edited:
Asian Economies Set to Dominate 7% Growth Club During 2020s
By
Michelle Jamrisko
May 11, 2019, 11:49 PM EDT
  • Five of seven in group are in Asia, Standard Chartered says
  • China is notable departure from list as economy slows
360x-1.jpg

Pedestrians and shoppers walk past Charminar monument and mosque in Hyderabad, India. Photographer: Dhiraj Singh/Bloomberg
The 2020s are set to be the Asian decade, with the continent dominating an exclusive list of economies expected to sustain growth rates of around 7%.

India, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Myanmar and the Philippines should all meet that benchmark, according to a research note Sunday from Madhur Jha, Standard Chartered’s India-based head of thematic research, and Global Chief Economist David Mann. Ethiopia and Côte d’Ivoire are also likely to reach the 7% growth pace, which typically means a doubling of gross domestic product every 10 years. That’ll be a boon to per-capita incomes, with Vietnam’s soaring to $10,400 in 2030 from about $2,500 last year, they estimate.

-1x-1.png

The South Asian members of the group should be GDP standouts as they’ll together account for about one-fifth of the world’s population by 2030, Standard Chartered reckons. The demographic dividend will be a boon for India, while Bangladesh’s investments in health and education should juice productivity.

The Asian dominance of the list is a change from 2010, when the bank first started tracking the economies it expected to grow by around 7%. Back then, there were 10 members evenly split between Asia and Africa: China, India, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Uganda, and Mozambique.

China is a notable absence from the latest ranking after being a member of the club for almost four decades -- reflecting both a slowdown in economic growth and a progression toward higher per-capita incomes that makes faster growth rates more difficult to sustain. Standard Chartered estimates the world’s No. 2 economy will keep up a 5.5% economic growth pace in the 2020s.

Sub-Saharan African countries also have faded, which the analysts attribute to “waning reform momentum, despite a slowdown in commodity prices.”

-1x-1.png

While faster economic growth isn’t a panacea -- think income inequality, crime, pollution -- it tends to come with a lot of positive knock-on effects, Jha and Mann wrote.

“Faster growth not only helps to lift people more quickly out of absolute poverty, but is also usually accompanied by better health and education, as well as a wider range of -- and better access to -- goods and services,” they say in the report. “Higher incomes resulting from faster growth also usually reduce socio-political instability and make it easier to introduce structural reforms, creating a virtuous cycle.”

In addition, 7% club members tend to have savings and investment rates of at least 20-25% of GDP, according to the report.

www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-05-12/asian-economies-set-to-dominate-7-growth-club-during-2020s
Bangladesh will take over USA and China.

Currency depreciation do not affect the PPP GDP. Pakistan's nominal GDP declined but not the PPP GDP. Bangladesh's nominal GDP crossed Pakistan earlier than expected because of massive depreciation of Pak Rupee against Dollar. But PPP is unaffected by this development. But Bangladesh's per PPP will also cross Pakistan within few years if current gap of GDP growth persists.

Even if Pakistan had not undergone massive depreciation of rupee, still Bangladesh's nominal GDP per Capita would have been somewhat higher than Pakistan. Because Bangladesh's economy somewhat more integrated with world market. So there is comparatively less gap in actual value and exchange rate value of Bangladesh's national currency Taka compared to Pakistan or India. That's why Taka's PPP factor is less compared to Indian or Pakistani rupee. In other word, 1000 dollar has somewhat less purchasing power in Bangladesh compared to India or Pakistan. This less purchasing power of 1 dollar in Bangladesh means, goods in Bangladesh are comparatively pricier than Bangladesh. But not all goods, some goods which Bangladesh import or artificially priced up by a lot of govt. tax. When IMF or World Bank calculate PPP factor, they take into consideration of price of a range of products and services.

Bangladesh-2.64
India-3.85
Pakistan-4.30

This means, Pakistani Rupee is most undervalued against dollar among three currencies, then Indian Rupee and Bangladeshi taka is comparatively less undervalued against dollar.
@Bengal71

https://www.oecd.org/sdd/prices-ppp/purchasingpowerparities-frequentlyaskedquestionsfaqs.htm

"
4. What are the products included in the basket of goods and services used for the calculation of PPPs and how many are they?
The basket of goods and services priced for the PPP exercise is a sample of all goods and services covered by GDP. The final product list covers around 3,000 consumer goods and services, 30 occupations in government, 200 types of equipment goods and about 15 construction projects. The large number of products is to enable countries to identify goods and services which are representative of their domestic expenditures."

Yep, BD higher taxes on things like cars which are not really relevant in S Asia on the whole affects it's PPP value.
I think when things like this are taken out, BD citizens probably have same purchasing power as Pakistanis but of course Pakistanis are still richer due to accumulated wealth.

Like that matters, quote me Afghan rupee vs USD too. I could have quoted Japan or whatever, but I quoted Afghanistan here for a reason. And do tell me how Afghan economy is somewhat more integrated with World market compared to Pakistan? Btw, Afghan rupee is almost = to Bangladeshi taka. Lol

Currency depreciation do not affect the PPP GDP.

Who is contesting that? Irrelevant. There is reason why I am talking about PPP here.

But Bangladesh's per PPP will also cross Pakistan within few years if current gap of GDP growth persists.

Ok when it does, then brag not before.

Bangladesh-2.64
India-3.85
Pakistan-4.30

Again, Irrelevant to what I am saying.

Taka's PPP factor is less compared to Indian or Pakistani rupee. In other word, 1 dollar has somewhat less purchasing power in Bangladesh compared to India or Pakistan. This less purchasing power of 1 dollar in Bangladesh means, goods in Bangladesh are comparatively pricier than India or Pakistan.

This is the only thing I agree with, rest is just _______

But not all goods, some goods which Bangladesh import or artificially priced up by a lot of govt. tax. When IMF or World Bank calculate PPP factor, they take into consideration of price of a range of products and services both locally grown and imported.

Yeah like we don't import as much as Bangladesh, or India doesn't import as much as Bangladesh. Or our governments don't tax on imported goods as Bangladesh /s

Just go through BoT for Pakistan, India and Bangladesh, we import more than we export compared to you. Yet we (India/Pak) have lower inflation compared to Bangladesh (again not talking about inflation rate but the actual inflation)

Where did you come up with this theory?
BD grew very fast even at the time of global and Indian slow down in 2008 onward. BD's growth has nothing to do with India. We dont export much there.
I think it is the opposite. BD growth influences the Indian growth because the former is an importing country of Indian goods worth more than $7.0 billion. Export to India remains below $1.0 billion. Benefits of BD imports are spread among the cotton producing areas as well as the areas that surround BD.

Like that matters, quote me Afghan rupee vs USD too. I could have quoted Japan or whatever, but I quoted Afghanistan here for a reason. And do tell me how Afghan economy is somewhat more integrated with World market compared to Pakistan? Btw, Afghan rupee is almost = to Bangladeshi taka. Lol

Who is contesting that? Irrelevant. There is reason why I am talking about PPP here.

Ok when it does, then brag not before.

Again, Irrelevant to what I am saying.

This is the only thing I agree with, rest is just _______

Yeah like we don't import as much as Bangladesh, or India doesn't import as much as Bangladesh. Or our governments don't tax on imported goods as Bangladesh /s

Just go through BoT for Pakistan, India and Bangladesh, we import more than we export compared to you. Yet we (India/Pak) have lower inflation compared to Bangladesh (again not talking about inflation rate but the actual inflation)

Bangladesh government impose more import duty on many products than Pakistan and India. That is why price of many products are higher in Bangladesh which in turn reduces PPP of Bangladesh.

I think it is the opposite. BD growth influences the Indian growth because the former is an importing country of Indian goods worth more than $7.0 billion. Export to India remains below $1.0 billion. Benefits of BD imports are spread among the cotton producing areas as well as the areas that surround BD.

Illegal trade is almost of equal amount. Plus around 3 million tourist goes to India each year from Bangladesh who does shopping, travel, gets treatment. If per person spend around 1000 dollar it is 3 billion usd we are talking about.

India did not open their largest visa center in Dhaka for no reason.

Quote me a link.

Compare it with Pakistan

https://customs.gov.bd/files/Tariff2016_2017_TTI.pdf

Relation between Currency value and current exchange rate is not always straightforward. Just because Afghan currency have same exchange rate with Bangladeshi Taka do not mean both country's economic outlook are similar. Or it does not mean Indonesia's economy is less integrated with world market than BD just because 1 USD=84 BD Tk but 1 dollar=14,000 Indonesian Rupiah.You have to look at initial base year on how exchange rate was fixed with dollar. Then only we can calculate whether a currency depreciated or appreciated against dollar over time. If Indonesian Rupiah was fixed at 12000 per dollar and BD Taka at 60 per dollar, then current value of 14,000 and 84 means, Taka actually lost more value than Rupiah.

Last edited:
LOL, 2030? some more may, will, to be future tense bragging from a well known what Trump referred as shIt hole, come on, brag when you still exist in 2030 incase above sea level lol
View attachment 559486
https://www.thedailystar.net/opinion/perspective/news/rising-sea-levels-rising-threats-1732507

BTW, i knew its kind of cruel but as your faithful secret admirer, i hereby sincerely remind you, please don't get too carry away with your BD STRONK empty slogan, you're not still poor but dirt poor, even my hometown Hongkong, a tiny island with a population of 7 millions is hundred time richer than your whole hole combined, please come back to earth before you making yourself a "International Laughing Stock" lol
View attachment 559488
WHERE were you? my friends:dance3:

We know it very well where we are. You don’t need to bring irrelevant topics here. Hong Kong was British colony which is a developed country itself. What do you mean by your city or you are just a Chinese migrant there. Are you also one of those poor Chinese who lives in a 50-60 square foot apartment use washroom as kitchen and bragging here?

Regarding “international laughing stock” does 7% club member seems like laughing stock to you?

It’s clown like you who is laughing stock. Don’t forget you already got a warning by mod which has been confirmed to me that day by mod!! You are just heading towards ban.

LOL, 2030? some more may, will, to be future tense bragging from a well known what Trump referred as shIt hole, come on, brag when you still exist in 2030 incase above sea level lol
View attachment 559486
https://www.thedailystar.net/opinion/perspective/news/rising-sea-levels-rising-threats-1732507

BTW, i knew its kind of cruel but as your faithful secret admirer, i hereby sincerely remind you, please don't get too carry away with your BD STRONK empty slogan, you're not still poor but dirt poor, even my hometown Hongkong, a tiny island with a population of 7 millions is hundred time richer than your whole hole combined, please come back to earth before you making yourself a "International Laughing Stock" lol
View attachment 559488
WHERE were you? my friends:dance3:

Dude, Hong Kong was developed under UK Administration and not Chinese.

Hong Kong GDP stands at 360 billion against 320 billion for BD in 2019. BD grows 8% a year while Hong Kong is at 2-3% and so not much longer before BD overtakes.

Thanks to UK you are rich as otherwise you will be nowhere now.

Most of the story of China's growth is due to UK and USA. UK developed Hong Kong and USA developed Taiwan.
Without the help of Hong Kong and Taiwan, China's growth would not be nearly as impressive over the last 40 years.

Yes BD is nothing on Hong Kong but we are on the right track now.

Back
Top Bottom