What's new

Bangladesh Navy

has anyone noticed that in the late '80s USCGS Mellon (WHEC-717), a Hamilton-class cutter was fitted with a hull-mounted sonar (AN/SQS-26) and Mk 46 ASW torpedoes, along with Harpoon missiles?.... this was the only ship in the USCG that had ASW and ASuW capability.... but those were removed later due to 'fiscal constraints'..... but the most interesting fact is that the Hamilton-class can be fitted with a hull-mounted sonar..... we were discussing a few days back that the BNS Somudra Joy had no ASW capability.... well, this is encouraging.... but how feasible it would be to fit this 40+ year old ship with new stuff is another matter altogether....

and on another point, can anyone give any specific lead regarding procurement of Z-9 helos?..... even the PLAN is reportedly thinking of assigning Russian-made Ka-28 helos on Type 056 corvettes..... they are thinking of this because of the inability of the Z-9 to carry a sonar and ASW weapons at the same time.... for that to happen, two Z-9 helos need to operate together; one carrying a dipping sonar, and another carrying ASW weapons....

Bangladesh Navy builds UAVs, drones for surveillance, targeting trials - IHS Jane's 360

The Bangladesh Navy (BN) has begun production of indigenously manufactured unmanned air systems (UASs) to be used for targeting practice and maritime surveillance, BN Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral M Farid Habib told Bangladeshi newspaper The Daily Star on 8 March.

"We will build many drones. We have just started building the vehicles," said Adm Habib following a 16-day annual exercise in the Bay of Bengal. "There are cameras in the drones to send photographs so that we can monitor fishing trawlers or any unauthorised ships in our jurisdiction," he added.

Surveillance at sea has been a priority for Bangladesh since it won a longstanding maritime boundary dispute with Myanmar in March 2012.

has anyone noticed that in the late '80s USCGS Mellon (WHEC-717), a Hamilton-class cutter was fitted with a hull-mounted sonar (AN/SQS-26) and Mk 46 ASW torpedoes, along with Harpoon missiles?.... this was the only ship in the USCG that had ASW and ASuW capability.... but those were removed later due to 'fiscal constraints'..... but the most interesting fact is that the Hamilton-class can be fitted with a hull-mounted sonar..... we were discussing a few days back that the BNS Somudra Joy had no ASW capability.... well, this is encouraging.... but how feasible it would be to fit this 40+ year old ship with new stuff is another matter altogether....

It has been mentioned in this thread multiple times, accompanied by photographing evidence of said weapons fit. See this model, just beneath the red band.

USCGC-Dallas-000.jpg

whec716.jpg

WHEC-717-scale-model.JPG

USCG-cutter-model.JPG

Last edited:
Originally fitted with AN/SQS-36, which was replaced by AN/SQS-38 per 1967-1980 FRAM (= a hullmounted version of SQS-35 designed specifically for WHECs). In 1992 it was ordered that all ASW weapons and sensors as well as Harpoon be removed.
The Naval Institute Guide to the Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet - Norman Polmar - Google Boeken

AN/SQS-38
SQS-23.jpg

http://www.kpinet.com/Vodafone/word_library_detail.cfm?id=8481558&word=AN/SQS-36

The Naval Institute Guide to the Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet - Norman Polmar - Google Boeken

It has been mentioned in this thread multiple times, accompanied by photographing evidence of said weapons fit. See this model, just beneath the red band.

USCGC-Dallas-000.jpg

whec716.jpg

WHEC-717-scale-model.JPG

USCG-cutter-model.JPG
thank you for the reminder.... I missed the posts....
I only joined recently and didn't know that I had to go through all of the previous posts before I could post.....

this is the exact reason why I dropped out of PDF in 2005-2006..... you have to make PDF more inviting to newcomers.... not to make them think that they are inferior to everyone else here.... I just thought I could share some knowledge I've gathered over the last 23 years or so.... my mistake..... my humble apologies.....

thank you for the reminder.... I missed the posts....
I only joined recently and didn't know that I had to go through all of the previous posts before I could post.....

this is the exact reason why I dropped out of PDF in 2005-2006..... you have to make PDF more inviting to newcomers.... not to make them think that they are inferior to everyone else here.... I just thought I could share some knowledge I've gathered over the last 23 years or so.... my mistake..... my humble apologies.....

No problem, it is I that should be apologizing.

Inside Bridge of modified and refitted Type 053H2 (Jianghu- III) Class Guided Missile Frigate of Bangladesh Navy....
PM Sheikh Hasina visited this ship when it was commissioned...
Bangladesh brought 2 ship of this same class in this year 2014.
1932234_607953269290211_628497907_n.jpg

looks very new though the overhead all the wiring are open . i think those wiring could be covered .:sad:

looks very new though the overhead all the wiring are open . i think those wiring could be covered .:sad:
You qualifications in this respect?

HMS Westminster (Type 23)

4857002283_69b055b59e.jpg

da426214b40c50e7649ab24a940e7b0bbe8db061.pjpg

4165572.jpg

Halifax CPF
HS2010-A050-085.jpg

Sarcouf (Lafayette class)
800px-Bridge-frigate_Surcouf-IMG_5838.jpg

OH, I donnu, I kind of like corvettes e.g. Italian Minerva and Folgosi classes, German Braunschweig class, Argentinian Meko 160. They offer numbers and flexibility in larger navies, whilst a good core platform in smaller navies.

As long as those corvette is equipped with organic hangar and spacious helo deck for ASW operation is good for me

As long as those corvette is equipped with organic hangar and spacious helo deck for ASW operation is good for me
Minerva: no deck or hangar (design could have, with modifications i.e. sacrificing Aspice launcher)
Folgosi: both deck and (telescopic) hangar (but no SAM)
Braunschweig: deck, but no hangar ( hangars for two drones : Unmanned Aerial Vehicles - UAV's).
Meko 160: deck, and (telescopic) hangar.

Minerva: no deck or hangar (design could have, with modifications i.e. sacrificing Aspice launcher)
Folgosi: both deck and (telescopic) hangar (but no SAM)
Braunschweig: deck, but no hangar ( hangars for two drones : Unmanned Aerial Vehicles - UAV's).
Meko 160: deck, and (telescopic) hangar.

I much prefer an option to facilitate an ASW helo than carries more SAM or cannon turret, in several countries their Naval forces are more keen to bring a naval helicopter in their ships because a naval helicopter is very useful to expand their horizon and can be used into much more mission such as Combat SAR, humanitarian mission, ASW operations, patrol mission and so on. Folgosi class is not that bad

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom