What's new

Bangladesh Navy

I know translation is bad but what about the report is that true
Yep. China unveiled a new frigate that's based on type 054A and now offered it to bd with complete tot. And with hasina's word of starting the construction of frigate soon in our dockyard...(submarine launch day statement)
It sounds cool! Why doesn't Pakistan get similar offers from china? I believe you guys are signing with turkey for frigates?

Well all the Bangladeshi defence forums are talking about it. Chittagong dry dock was transferred to the Navy a few years back for this purpose. The dock can easily handle two 054A High Performance frigate builds side by side.

Navy ships slightly larger than the Azmat class (650 ton Durjoy class stealth corvettes P812 and 813) were bought and commissioned - then two more ASW variants built locally already (BNS Durgam P814, BNS Nishan P815), and four more builds under the pipeline at another yard (not Chittagong).

BNS_Nirmul.jpg
durgam-class-anti-submarine-warfare-corvettes-launched.jpg
khulnashipyard.jpg
khulnashipyard2.jpg

Civilian builds (8500 ton plus) are very common at dozens of local private yards. So building a 4000 ton heavy frigate should not be a stretch. What may be a challenge is weapons integration like VLS, naval warfare suites. testing etc.

And I believe we are getting ToT for new version of 054A, not 054 class. The superstructure is different and has stealth features.

CSOC-Frigate-01.png
chinese+frigate+056+export+rockets+ciws++International+Defence+Exhibition+and+Conference+2013+(IDEX+2013)+in+Abu+Dhabi,+the+United+Arab+Emirates+(UAE)+(3).jpg

That is the "high performance frigate" right there in the image.

Regardless of the intense naval build activity of late, none of these builds will be for offensive purposes, these will be part of a purely defensive force and a credible deterrent.
You mean offensive purposes as in serving in wartime situation or defensive as in peacetime situation because I think they'll be right back on top in Bay of Bengal. Like the first time when bns bangabandhu was.

Yep. China unveiled a new frigate that's based on type 054A and now offered it to bd with complete tot. And with hasina's word of starting the construction of frigate soon in our dockyard...(submarine launch day statement)
It sounds cool! Why doesn't Pakistan get similar offers from china? I believe you guys are signing with turkey for frigates?

We have lot of offers issue is we focus less on our Navy although I think Pakistan should have around 24 to 30 major Frigates which are equipped with those VLS which can fire long range cruise missiles.

We have lot of offers issue is we focus less on our Navy although I think Pakistan should have around 24 to 30 major Frigates which are equipped with those VLS which can fire long range cruise missiles.
Integrating pakistans tactical nuclear cruise missiles on those VLS platform would be a game changer.

Integrating pakistans tactical nuclear cruise missiles on those VLS platform would be a game changer.
Not just nuclear strike in fact I want to see Pakistan uses Babur just like USA uses Tomahawk when they invade countries use their destroyers to fire them and hit various targets at long distance from Radars to Military Bases and other systems and buildings.

China's CSOC showcases a new 4,000-tonne frigate
Michele Capeleto, Langkawi - IHS Jane's Navy International
28 March 2017

1699497_-_main.jpg

A model of the 4,000-tonne frigate showcased by China Shipbuilding and Offshore International Company (CSOC) at LIMA 2017 in Langkawi. Source: IHS Markit/ Michele Capeleto
Chinese state-owned shipbuilder China Shipbuilding and Offshore International Company (CSOC) revealed technical specifications of a new frigate design it is showcasing at the LIMA 2017 exhibition in Langkawi.

In an interview with Jane's, a CSOC engineer disclosed that the "new ship is a derivative of the Jiangkai II class of frigates, but features a renewed superstructure".

According to specifications confirmed by the company, the vessel is slightly larger than the Jiangkai II, featuring an overall length of 135 m, a beam of 16 m, a draught of 4.4 m, and a displacement of around 3,850 tonne.

The platform is powered by four sets of 16PA6STC engines in a CODAD configuration, driving two propeller shafts for a top speed of up to 26 kt. It has an endurance of 21 days, and standard range of 4,000 nautical miles at cruising speed of 18 kt.

Where the innovation stands, however, is in the armament suite and sensors. Weapons aboard comprise a single-barrel 76 mm main naval guns, topped up by two six-barrel Type 730A 30 mm guns for short-range self defence.

p1699498.jpg
Stern view of the 4,000-tonne frigate model showcased by China Shipbuilding and Offshore International Company (CSOC) at LIMA 2017 in Langkawi. (IHS Markit/ Michele Capeleto)

"Unlike in other versions [of frigates displayed by CSOC at defence shows], the two 30 mm guns are no longer mounted on the main bridge, but rather amid-ship, closer to the [24-cells] surface-to-air missile [SAM] launcher."

The ship's foredeck still hosts a 32-cell vertical launching system (VLS) firing the HHQ-16 (40 km of range), and there are two quadruple launchers of the C-802 surface-to-surface missile (SSM) mounted amid-ship.

Commenting on the sensors, the engineer added that "the above-water sensor suite will include a phased-array radar mounted in an integrated mast. The ship will also mount an over the horizon [OTH] radar comparable to the [active/passive] SLR66".

The frigate's anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capabilities will be provided by a hull-mounted sonar and torpedo tubes.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options: ihs.com/contact
--------

According to rumors this is the model offered to Bangladesh Navy & deal signed during LIMA 2017.

@Bilal9 @wanglaokan @cirr @BDforever & others

Wow! This new Jiangkai version shows a new forecastle (still stealth - but more subtle) with an even more evolved stealth radar tower, à la the German-Dutch Sachsen class. Moving the two 30 mm guns amidships makes even more sense now, placing them forward of the bridge was sort of off-kilter. Notice how forward the rolling frame CIWS launcher is in the Sachsen class, just so it can engage incoming missiles from the rear.

sachsen_12.jpg

China's CSOC showcases a new 4,000-tonne frigate
Michele Capeleto, Langkawi - IHS Jane's Navy International
28 March 2017

1699497_-_main.jpg

A model of the 4,000-tonne frigate showcased by China Shipbuilding and Offshore International Company (CSOC) at LIMA 2017 in Langkawi. Source: IHS Markit/ Michele Capeleto
Chinese state-owned shipbuilder China Shipbuilding and Offshore International Company (CSOC) revealed technical specifications of a new frigate design it is showcasing at the LIMA 2017 exhibition in Langkawi.

In an interview with Jane's, a CSOC engineer disclosed that the "new ship is a derivative of the Jiangkai II class of frigates, but features a renewed superstructure".

According to specifications confirmed by the company, the vessel is slightly larger than the Jiangkai II, featuring an overall length of 135 m, a beam of 16 m, a draught of 4.4 m, and a displacement of around 3,850 tonne.

The platform is powered by four sets of 16PA6STC engines in a CODAD configuration, driving two propeller shafts for a top speed of up to 26 kt. It has an endurance of 21 days, and standard range of 4,000 nautical miles at cruising speed of 18 kt.

Where the innovation stands, however, is in the armament suite and sensors. Weapons aboard comprise a single-barrel 76 mm main naval guns, topped up by two six-barrel Type 730A 30 mm guns for short-range self defence.

p1699498.jpg
Stern view of the 4,000-tonne frigate model showcased by China Shipbuilding and Offshore International Company (CSOC) at LIMA 2017 in Langkawi. (IHS Markit/ Michele Capeleto)

"Unlike in other versions [of frigates displayed by CSOC at defence shows], the two 30 mm guns are no longer mounted on the main bridge, but rather amid-ship, closer to the [24-cells] surface-to-air missile [SAM] launcher."

The ship's foredeck still hosts a 32-cell vertical launching system (VLS) firing the HHQ-16 (40 km of range), and there are two quadruple launchers of the C-802 surface-to-surface missile (SSM) mounted amid-ship.

Commenting on the sensors, the engineer added that "the above-water sensor suite will include a phased-array radar mounted in an integrated mast. The ship will also mount an over the horizon [OTH] radar comparable to the [active/passive] SLR66".

The frigate's anti-submarine warfare (ASW) capabilities will be provided by a hull-mounted sonar and torpedo tubes.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options: ihs.com/contact
--------

According to rumors this is the model offered to Bangladesh Navy & deal signed during LIMA 2017.

@Bilal9 @wanglaokan @cirr @BDforever & others

i ve been in Langkawi to cover this event, there is no such rumour. This frigate being offered to Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia respectively (notes the CODAD configuration of the engines prop. is Indonesian and Malaysian Navy preferences just like our other frigates and corvettes programme).

i ve been in Langkawi to cover this event, there is no such rumour. This frigate being offered to Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia respectively (notes the CODAD configuration of the engines prop. is Indonesian and Malaysian Navy preferences just like our other frigates and corvettes programme).
By rumor I didn't necessarily meant inside the convention/Expo rather in forums, like @Zarvan posted.

And that prop. system is nothing special. Bangladesh Navy's Frigate F 25 & recently inducted C13B corvettes has the same engine & configuration.

Anyway I am not convinced on this news yet. I will wait for more information & official clarification to emerge.

Last edited:
We are talking about local production and TOT not buying.

We are talking about local production and TOT not buying.
By rumor I didn't necessarily meant inside the convention/Expo rather in forums, like @Zarvan posted.

And that prop. system is nothing special. Bangladesh Navy's Frigate F 25 & recently inducted C13B corvettes has the same engine & configuration.

Anyway I am not convinced on this news yet. I will wait for more information & official clarification to emerge.
ok here is the news, With the help of China, BD is designing new frigate model for domestic product. 8 units will be built at CTG dry doc after 2 years. China is giving full technological assistance :drag:
@madokafc

ok here is the news, With the help of China, BD is designing new frigate model for domestic product. 8 units will be built at CTG dry doc after 2 years. China is giving full technological assistance :drag:
construction to commence in 2 years? I've got no idea when it comes to the associated timeframe....assuming everything runs on schedule - how many years would it take to deliver 8 units?

construction to commence in 2 years? I've got no idea when it comes to the associated timeframe....assuming everything runs on schedule - how many years would it take to deliver 8 units?
well it will start in 2019, at least 2 years per unit, so 16 years in total.
2019+16= 2035 the completion of the project.
Beside that BD is going to Purchase also

Type 054A quite good they have medium range SAMs HQ 16, but for long range air defense we must need destroyer with long range SAMs , in this days anti ship missiles fired from aircraft's has much long range.So They can evade medium range SAMs.:undecided:

considering the capability of BD dockyards to built Durjoy class after learning from China for almost five year since the design commence in 2009 and starting to built the pair in 2014, one just need to wonder on how long BD need to learn and try to built a decent corvette (a note even till now still not hear news when BD dockyards will actually built type 56 corvette in house). And now talking big about built a full fledged AAW Frigattes with all of their complexity, Its beyond me actually.

considering the capability of BD dockyards to built Durjoy class after learning from China for almost five year since the design commence in 2009 and starting to built the pair in 2014, one just need to wonder on how long BD need to learn and try to built a decent corvette (a note even till now still not hear news when BD dockyards will actually built type 56 corvette in house). And now talking big about built a full fledged AAW Frigattes with all of their complexity, Its beyond me actually.

Since you probably have little idea about Bangladesh yards (going by the doubts you cast above), allow me to entertain you on our capabilities. Bangladesh has the highest number of medium to large shipyards per mile of coastline in the subcontinent (higher than our neighbor in the West who arguably have the second most powerful Navy in Asia), and this most probably means much, much more than any large Asian country with a long coastline.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/dockyards-in-sub-continent-pakistan-standing.483091/

We have had a much longer history of building Western ships of all kinds since time immemorial. Indigenous Shipbuilding has been a century-old tradition in East Bengal. It is one of the earliest industries developed in Bengal based on its tradition of building boats and sea-going vessels. Many countries of Asia and Europe used to regularly buy ships built at Chittagong. Ibn Batuta came to Bengal in the 14th century and went back in a wooden ship built in a dock located at Sonargaon, Dhaka. Such historic ships are being preserved in European Museums.

According to the European traveler Caesar Frederick, Chittagong was the center of building ocean-going vessels during the middle of the 15th century. During the 17th century, a fleet of ships of the Sultan of Turkey was built at Chittagong. During the Mughal period, Bengal took the lead in the region in building ships and boats. The Mughal Naval Force had a large number of ships built at Chittagong. The British Navy used warships built at Chittagong in the famous Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. In 1818 the wooden hull frigate Deutschland was built in Chittagong and delivered to German Navy. During the first half of the 19th Century, the shipyards at Chittagong built ships up to 1000 DWT.

13051756_167901313605259_7664960232955561436_n.png

Even prior to that period, Buddhist monks used locally built ships in Samatata area (see diagram below) in the fifth century to travel to Myanmar, Thailand and entire Indochina to spread Buddhism. Samatata was the center of shipbuilding in ancient Gupta period (500 AD) because this was the Buddhist sea-lane lifeline from the Gupta empire which was the center of Buddhism toward newly minted Hindu/Buddhist countries and cultures in Indonesia and Indochina.

800px-South_Asia_historical_AD450_EN.svg.png

We have had more formally trained shipwrights, ship designers, universities with programs in marine science and engineering than any country of our size in South Asia over the years since WWI. The reason is that we need smaller river vessels and ships to travel locally. Often informal shipwrights will build passenger launches (ferries) carrying 1000 people in the middle of nowhere on a sandy island from blueprints.

Coming back to our recent naval builds such as Durjoy class (650 tons each) - those vessels were completed in three/four months in a yard built in the 1950's.

This Navy yard (among about four or so large naval yards locally) is still considered a state-of-the-art facility for building vessels up to 10,000 tons and 3000 DWT coasters/bulkers of DNV/GL, BV and CCS classification are built routinely (I'd venture a guess on close to fifty or more ships every year) in over a hundred yards locally which are far below that standard.

To build this modified Jiangkai II class of 4000 tons, the four larger naval yards we have are easily capable of building at least two of them side by side at the same time. If you think this is 'talking big' - then you don't know our capability.

Bangladesh has experience building medium sized naval ships up to corvettes since the 1950's, but hasn't ventured into building frigates because,
  1. we mainly used to import (most recently from China and S. Korea).
  2. govt. purchases were rife with corruption
But that is about to change.

This is the Shipyard built in the early 1950's, where the modified Durjoy classes are being built starting with a view of BNS Nishan (These shipyards all have parallel modular build capability),

durgam-class-anti-submarine-warfare-corvettes-launched.jpg
THree.jpg

img_khulna_1.jpg
img_khulna_2.jpg
img_khulna_3.jpg
khulna-shipyard-launches-submarine-tug-boats-for-bangladesh-navy.jpg

This is the Navy yard where the 4000 ton Jiankai II's will be built. I rest my case.
103343357.jpg
Dry-Docking-Repair-of-3-vessels-in-the-dock.jpg

This is one of about a dozen private shipyards that are all capable of building destroyers up to 9900 tons. Some of their recent builds shown below, starting with some builds for JSW India.
DSJ-06-11-06-2016.jpg
17626609_1465687636788216_2285388151560074444_n.jpg
15003444_1313511192005862_3396586021298455457_o.jpg
10504904_1134558026567847_1508537700637850372_o.jpg
11161357_964282946928690_6525332919657022144_n.jpg
12525552_1134557299901253_7859028807990445552_o.jpg
11109297_966927459997572_851004414736657854_o.jpg
10296098_776866609003659_2844214415300718628_o.jpg
10960238_931211140235871_1906513581896489432_o.jpg
10900250_909297162427269_4959323084765863096_o.jpg

And the fact about what's 'beyond you', Bangladesh was supposed to be basket case forever in 1971, but in just a couple of decades, we had rebuilt our completely war-ravaged country from the ashes. And look at where our HDI level is today, in some areas they better than every country in South Asia and even Indonesia. This is fact.

Bangladesh can comfortably compete with other shipbuilding countries (India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines) for building specialized smaller builds of ships for now - because our labor costs in that sector are half that of China. Yes - half. And this is without any incentive from our govt. I understand your labor cost in this sector is three times that of China - which means your labor cost is six times more than us. Maybe we can cooperate on Shipbuilding with your industry to take advantage of your higher expertise and our low labor costs, being that we are brotherly Muslim countries.

If Bangladesh decides to forge ahead with larger yards, there is very little in shipbuilding we cannot do.

Last edited:
@madokafc You just need to look up shipbuilder's association of Japan international statistics.

Bangladesh is not even included in the list of countries (past the big 3) with notable shipbuilding capability.

So its no wonder they took so long just to build a cpl measley LPCs.

You just need to sit back and watch how much longer it will take for any serious warship if BD stupidly decides that its civilian ship DWT capacity (already limited) equates to 1:1 warship fabrication at any serious standard of quality and assured reliability (given the weapons integration standards especially).

The above is after all coming from the guy that made all kinds of projections about their company "Walton" by 2017 (cpl years ago)...which have fell completely flat and silent now. So it will be with any other projection especially one he says "is about to change" with some magic wave of the wand.
lol so much :flame::flame::flame:
1. Frigate construction will start in 2019.
2. I don't know what he said about Walton but Walton is currently getting big African market, huge hit in Nepal and now entering European market.

Back
Top Bottom