What's new

Bangladesh:Gunfight at BDR headquarters

leonblack08

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Gun battle in Bangladesh capital

A gun battle has broken out inside the headquarters of the Bangladesh border guards in the capital, Dhaka, police and TV reports say.

There are no reports of any casualties yet in the gunfight at the Bangladesh Rifle headquarters, officials say.

"There has been a huge exchange of gunfire at the headquarters. We have heard mortar fire," local police chief Nabojit Khisa told the AFP news agency.

Mr Khisa said police were not being allowed to enter the complex.

The Bangladesh Rifles headquarters is located in the Pilkhana area of Dhaka.

The BBC's Mark Dummett, in Dhaka, says that according to reporters at the scene, the clashes are between officers and soldiers of the paramilitary force, which protects the country's borders.

One report said that the gun battle coincided with a meeting of senior Bangladesh Rifles officers.

Our correspondent says that some local TV channels are speculating that it is a mutiny by soldiers over a pay dispute.

Reports say that smoke is coming out of the complex and security forces have cordoned off the area.

There is no information yet on casualties, but reporters say some civilians walking past the camp have been hit.

There are unconfirmed reports that soldiers have also opened fire on a helicopter patrolling above the camp, where the fighting is taking place, our correspondent says.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Gun battle in Bangladesh capital

I just could not get into Bangladeshi newspaper websites due to too much traffic I guess.From the news in TV,it is reported that some people are already killed.
ISPR(Inter Services Public Relation) ordered the revolting soldiers to go back to barracks and drop down their arms.The Army is already is in the place and gunfight is still going on inside the BDR headquarters.
The Jawans were asking for better pay for a long time and this is the result.Prime minister Sheikh Hasina will talk to them,I think later today.

The condition is terrifying out there.People are asked not to enter those areas.And the whole Dhaka city is in gridlock.Universities are being shutdown.
It is notable that,BDR week was going on and Prime Minister just yesterday made a speech to them.
It is reported that the revolting soldiers locked down senior directors of BDR inside the headquarter.

Gunfights at BDR HQ
Star Online Report

Thousands of rounds of gunshots and mortar firing are rocking the BDR Headquarters and adjacent areas in Dhaka as “angry and aggrieved” BDR soldiers launched a violent and armed mutiny against their high command from around 7:45am.

At least four army officers have been killed and dozens have been held hostage, claimed one of the protesting soldiers at BDR gate number-3 at around 10:30am.

Sources said that the number of death could be much higher as the soldiers have been firing all sorts of weapons at all directions.

Fire and smoke can be seen from the outer perimeters of the Bangladesh Rifles headquarters.

According to reports from The Daily Star correspondents, heavy weapons like cannons have been used to damage some buildings, while the soldiers driving armoured vehicles were shooting at any attempt of the Rab or the Bangladesh Army to enter the BDR perimeter.

With all of its five gates closed, hundreds of soldiers wearing red bandana and partly covering their faces with yellow clothes were seen staging armed processions in front of the gates—letting the people know that they were angry.

“We have been deprived for a long time, we have deep grievances,” the soldiers chanted as their slogans.

Meanwhile, due to the violent situation, all the adjacent markets including the New Market have been closed. Doors and windows of all nearby buildings have been closed.

Thousands of people who have homes in the BDR headquarter area have remained stranded while many relatives of BDR officers and soldiers who had either came out of the perimeters or have just arrived from other places were seen crying for their near and dear ones who might have been held hostage by the situation.

At about 11:45pm, army personnel were trying to enter inside the BDR headquarters as the BDR soldiers guarded all its gates.

Thousands of army personnel have encircled the BDR headquarters and are advancing slowly with firing gunshots.

The Daily Star - Details News

Quite an embarrassing incident for Bangladesh.

I wonder what Hasina's strategy is going to be. Raise their pays or hang them for mutiny?

they've been holding their patience for decades, but the govt did not even listen them... so, this is the result of it...

Well what are the qualifications for any one to get into army..!!! If everyone takes arms..what is the need of a country/government???
The basic problem is the culture that has been developed. Hope things get sorted out and under control very soon..

One dead, eight wounded in Bangladesh army mutiny: hospital
Updated at: 1200 PST, Wednesday, February 25, 2009

DHAKA: At least one person has been killed and eight others wounded following a mutiny by Bangladeshi soldiers in the headquarters of the country's border security forces, a hospital official said.

One dead, eight wounded in Bangladesh army mutiny: hospital

BDR HQ surrounded by tanks. Hasina urged immediate surrender.

They could have peacefully protested in HQ. These guys are pumped up by who investigations will tell.

reminds me a lot of the army NCO revolt back in Ziaur Rahman's days.

Urging surrender to whom? The Mutineers or the Army?
The Mutineers who else??

something like this was bound to happen.I have seen BDR quarters and how they live and I can't blame them.

Its sad very sad i hope things get better...

<the rest of this post is in violation of the norms followed in this forum>

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom