What's new

Bangladesh: Defence budget to rise by 20.34%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arms imports are not part of official defence budget and so we are looking at around 3.5 billion US dollar budget
in total.

BD is NOT a pacifist state by nature but by circumstance. With the much better economy now, expect to see large
numbers of modern ships , SAMS, tanks and aircraft to come online over the next decade.

@Skull and Bones

When can we expect a Nuclear Powered ballistic submarine?

I heard that US also wants to GIFT USS Enterprise to BD, is this true?

The role BD armed forces have taken a 180 degree turn under BAL/SHW. The perceived major threat is no more India. The military does not drill/Ex assuming India the Foxland. The military's roles are now UN Missions and internal security. The additional budget will not go to purchase modern fighters, subs or MBTs. Nope, these are offensive eqpt. The funds will be used in beautifying Cantts,modernizing soldiers' accn, enhancing amenities and generally pampering them.

When can we expect a Nuclear Powered ballistic submarine?

I heard that US also wants to GIFT USS Enterprise to BD, is this true?

BD will in due course even build it's own aircraft carrier as it needs the ability to hit India from the West in any future conflict.

Expect sometime in the 2040s, BD CVBGs to routinely sail up and down the Indian coastline.:devil:

salaries+operation cost+R&D

Nah...the article says: "Of the amount, Tk21,709 crore will be non-development expenditure and Tk405 crore development expenditure". So R&D is not included in Tk21,709 crore, it's a budget hike mostly to give the personnel a standard annual salary hike, and to cope up with the rising operational costs due to inflation, which is again normal. Not much scope for R&D and qualitative capacity increase there with that measly Tk405 crore.

Seems South Asia is going to have another powerful military after India and Pakistan. :D

Seeing the number of 'likes' you got; it seems that Bangladeshis took your comment seriously!! :D

China will always remain the largest weapon supplier to Bangladesh due to strategic reason.:victory:

It's more about availability and affordability.

Congratz...!! BD :D
Our defence budget will remain stable in this 2.5B margin..After our Defence Industry has some agreement with Russia for naval and AD and China for some serious programs..we have strong Defence Industries which can produce around 70% of arms what we used.. So no plan to increase so far.. we will focus on infrastructure development and economy of the country.. We aim to attract just 9B USD FDI for this year...that 9 B USD FDI target was already hit last year though.. and Doubling (may be even triple) our export within 5 years as soon as our SEZs are completed in 2017..

But Dont worry..!! Army wholly owned UMEHL and MEC can add 3 digits millions dollars on defence budget during in serious time... no need to wait approval.. :D

The most informative and realistic post in this thread. :tup:

Seeing the number of 'likes' you got; it seems that Bangladeshis took your comment seriously!! :D

despite the fact that i made a laughing smiley which reflects i cracked a joke....

but you never know, after 5-7 years bangladesh can become third most powerful military in south asia because there is no healthy competition for bangladesh except myanmar :D :D :D

Last edited:
despite the fact that i made a laughing smiley which reflects i cracked a joke....

but you never know, after 5-7 years bangladesh can become third most powerful military in south asia because there is no healthy competition for bangladesh except myanmar :D :D :D

Myanmar is no competition as BD has 3 times population and 3 times GDP.

BD should by 2030 have conventional forces roughly on par with Pakistan.

Should have and is have is two different things dude..

Currently myanmar stands tall in front of bangladesh in military terms.

As far as Pakistan military is concerned neither in 2030 nor in 2040/50 you will be matching Pakistan military, our equipment, our nukes and conventional war making capabilities. Facts speaks louder than words

Should have and is have is two different things dude..

Currently myanmar stands tall in front of bangladesh in military terms.

As far as Pakistan military is concerned neither in 2030 nor in 2040/50 you will be matching Pakistan military, our equipment, our nukes and conventional war making capabilities. Facts speaks louder than words

Not in nukes but conventionally.

Not in nukes but conventionally.

no one can stop you from seeing dreams.

see the difference between pakistan military and your military and we are increasing our military strength year on year. your PM added one or two submarines this year and we are going to add 8 new submarines soon. For 2016-17 we are going to add 24 new JF-17s. We are gonna show the world our Al-khalid 2 soon and not only this we are also making more powerful missiles.

So you should better concentrate on matching your forces with mynamar first.

Check it:-
Pakistan vs Bangladesh military comparison

I would like to know the reaction of bd members who claim that bd's low defence budget is due to India's sensitivity... did hasina just ignore India this time?

Myanmar will still remain more powerful, considering that other countries are not that militarized, Bangladesh can come 4th in a class of 4 students. :P

BD will in due course even build it's own aircraft carrier as it needs the ability to hit India from the West in any future conflict.

Expect sometime in the 2040s, BD CVBGs to routinely sail up and down the Indian coastline.:devil:

I just hope that you are trolling, otherwise I seriously have to start worrying about your mental health. :)

Last edited:
Nah...the article says: "Of the amount, Tk21,709 crore will be non-development expenditure and Tk405 crore development expenditure". So R&D is not included in Tk21,709 crore, it's a budget hike mostly to give the personnel a standard annual salary hike, and to cope up with the rising operational costs due to inflation, which is again normal. Not much scope for R&D and qualitative capacity increase there with that measly Tk405 crore.

It's more about availability and affordability.

The most informative and realistic post in this thread. :tup:

Normally The budget allocated for military is for Running the entire system such as salaries Training and maintenance of different establishments. Even the word"development" here are used for structural development; not the procurement of arms.

But the procurement of Arms comes from different source; from the reserve on Adhoc basis.

The role BD armed forces have taken a 180 degree turn under BAL/SHW. The perceived major threat is no more India. The military does not drill/Ex assuming India the Foxland. The military's roles are now UN Missions and internal security. The additional budget will not go to purchase modern fighters, subs or MBTs. Nope, these are offensive eqpt. The funds will be used in beautifying Cantts,modernizing soldiers' accn, enhancing amenities and generally pampering them.

They understood the futility of such exercises. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom