What's new

Bangladesh blocks YouTube over mutiny tape: govt source

Raquib

Reaction score
Bangladesh blocks YouTube over mutiny tape: govt source

DHAKA (AFP) — Bangladesh has blocked the video sharing website YouTube for hosting a recorded conversation between the newly elected prime minister and the country's powerful army officers, officials said Sunday.

Internet users were unable to access the site after it hosted the audio tape, which appeared to show angry officers shouting at Sheikh Hasina over her handling of a bloody mutiny that has threatened Bangladesh's recent return to democracy.

The violence in the capital Dhaka 10 days ago left at least 74 people dead including 56 army officers who were butchered and buried in shallow graves by mutinous border guards.

"Internet users have no access to YouTube. We understand that it has been blocked by the authorities," said Sabbir Ahmed, a director of the country's leading Internet service provider, BDCom.

A senior government official told AFP the site has been blocked after it hosted "contents subversive to the state."

"The government can block any site that contains anti-state or subversive contents, which may cause unrest. We took the measure temporarily. It will be lifted soon," he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The mutiny raised fears for Sheikh Hasina's government, which won elections two months ago to replace an army-backed administration.

Police have issued arrest warrants for more than 1,000 Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) troops believed to have been involved in the bloodshed, and the alleged ring leader has been arrested.

Two US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) officials were to arrive in Bangladesh later Sunday in response to a call from Hasina for international help in catching the culprits.

Is it possible for you guys to translate some of this stuff? What are the Army officers saying? Is the speaker in the first recording the Army chief or someone else?

I think around 2:51 is Gen Moeen as I have heard him speak and the voice seems to be his.

What is the gent at ~7:30 saying? He seems very emotional and angry.

Can anyone provide some translations?

In part two, what is the officer saying at 1:32?

There seems to be a lot of anger and emotions on display here.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible for you guys to translate some of this stuff? What are the Army officers saying? Is the speaker in the first recording the Army chief or someone else?

Wpmr4gKFHww[/media] - Sena Kunja -PART 1 - BDR mutiny - Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina meets Bangladesh Army officers

I think around 2:51 is Gen Moeen as I have heard him speak and the voice seems to be his.

What is the gent at ~7:30 saying? He seems very emotional and angry.

Can anyone provide some translations?

Thanks

Sorry, we cant, since youtube is banned in Bangladesh... But I believe some Bangladeshi members living abroad could do it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard some parts of it were edited.But doesn't this show the army has been infiltrated?or we got some people in the army who isn't so disciplined and loyal?

Well or maybe this was the first time the victims were being allowed to vent. Straight talking is something that should be allowed. I do not think the people were being disrespectful as all of them addressed her as "Madam pradhan mantri". Things definitely sound very emotional though.

Has nobody heard it in B'desh to help us guys who doesnt know Bangla.

I have heard all three files and the army officers are contradicting the PM's version of the story.

I am not sure why people are saying that the recordings go against the army. I felt that it showed extreme dissatisfaction of the army towards the PM and her performance in safeguarding the officers in the BDR HQ.

An army officer in the second file directly challenges the PM saying that had she given the move order in the first minutes of the mutiny many lives could have been saved. That she simply did not do enough to save the army officers. Any civilian listening to the recordings would presume that the PM was not acting in the interests of the country and was hell bent on destroying the army. This would fit in with the Indian agenda of subjugating Bangladesh.

I have heard all three files and the army officers are contradicting the PM's version of the story.

I am not sure why people are saying that the recordings go against the army. I felt that it showed extreme dissatisfaction of the army towards the PM and her performance in safeguarding the officers in the BDR HQ.

An army officer in the second file directly challenges the PM saying that had she given the move order in the first minutes of the mutiny many lives could have been saved. That she simply did not do enough to save the army officers. Any civilian listening to the recordings would presume that the PM was not acting in the interests of the country and was hell bent on destroying the army. This would fit in with the Indian agenda of subjugating Bangladesh.

Indians will not give up so easily destabilizing Bangladesh. 'cause if Bangladesh ever shows up as a strong, we'll be one of the biggest threats for India. I think we utilize the Pakistani theory...you know,banning all the Indian stuffs in Bangladesh including Bollywood... But as long as the AL is in power, thats just gonna remain as a dream... :(... She should realize she's getting older, how long she's gonna carry on kissing her master's a** (we all know who it'd be...) she's gonna kick the bucket within a few years... so, why doesnt she do something good for the country...??

from waht i can understand hasina is in trouble big time thanks blain i ll try to translate this just a few of the important points i guess still i would urge some other member to translate it properly as i might make mistake

pm: but i could not come coz i was very busy

army: dint we told you that dont come then why did you came all of a sudden why did you came in the 26th you have earned alot of bad prayer why din't you allow us to storm the place we could have saved so many lives why did you let the civil bureaucrat handle it is it a political matter tell me madame remember you are responsible for the killing of so many officers why did you handled an army matter like it is your usual politics? are you an expert in army matter? this have destroyed the BDR the army is now weaken tell me pm who is responsible for this? & i think you have no right to be in power or something still alot needs to be translated plus correction is needed so BD members please help to translate this as i could have only got this much mbi munshi bhai or zakir bhai please help translate it

Bangladesh imposes YouTube block
The video-sharing web site YouTube has been blocked by Bangladesh after a recording of a meeting between the PM and army officers was posted.

The meeting took place two days after a mutiny by border guards in Dhaka that left more than 70 people dead.

The recordings cover about 40 minutes of a three-hour meeting and reveal how angry many in the military were at the government's handling of the crisis.

YouTube had been blocked in the "national interest", officials said.

Hundreds of guardsmen have been arrested in connection with the mutiny but hundreds more are still being sought.

Jeered

The chairman of the Bangladesh Telecommunications Regulatory Commission, Zia Ahmed, said the decision to block access to YouTube, and another website, esnips, was taken because the audio recordings they hosted threatened to worsen the current situation.

"The government can take any decision to stop any activity that threatens national unity and integrity," he said.

The government has not said when the sites will be unblocked.

The meeting in question took place after the mutiny in the Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) headquarters two weeks ago had collapsed. Some 54 army officers were among those killed.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina agreed to talk to officers to persuade them that her strategy to end the mutiny had worked and had in fact minimised casualties.

"We want answers," some of the officers, who numbered more than 2,000, shouted at Sheikh Hasina.

Her attempts to speak are often jeered and drowned out.

The BBC's Mark Dummett in Dhaka says there had been anger in the army over the government's decision to negotiate with the mutineers, rather than immediately sending in troops to crush their revolt.

Many in the army believe the move gave the border guards more time to kill the officers and rape their wives.

One officer at the meeting tells the prime minister: "I do not understand who gave you that idea that it has to be solved politically... rebellion has to be crushed with force.

"But you have not done that... politics is not applicable everywhere... if one tank would have gone there or a commando platoon landed there, the [BDR] would have fled like ants... but none went... all my officers were killed helplessly… and you failed to do anything."

Our correspondent says that outside the army, many in Bangladesh believe she handled the crisis well, though her government has undoubtedly been shaken and relations with the army remain low.

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Bangladesh imposes YouTube block

Published: 2009/03/09 12:32:32 GMT

© BBC MMIX

Print Sponsor

Has nobody heard it in B'desh to help us guys who doesnt know Bangla.

The problem is entrance is restricted.I have to visit youtube through some "bypass server" or whatever to listen this.

I heard Hasina cried at one point of the meeting?Is it true?

The problem is entrance is restricted.I have to visit youtube through some "bypass server" or whatever to listen this.

I heard Hasina cried at one point of the meeting?Is it true?

yes when the army officer was saying madame monerakben remember madame that she (hasina) would get a lot of bad prayer from the bloodshed he cried in totall disbelive of the misnagment of handling the episode. also try esnips.com i think they have it there

Thats not how you talk to the leader of a free democractic country. In other countries, many heads would have rolled in the army. The present government seems to give leeway to the army . It does not have to answer to anyone. Not since they have the mandate of 75% of Bangladeshis.

Thats not how you talk to the leader of a free democractic country. In other countries, many heads would have rolled in the army. The present government seems to give leeway to the army . It does not have to answer to anyone. Not since they have the mandate of 75% of Bangladeshis.

Army of BD would be first in the line of defence against any attack by any other country so why to make it a chicken for the politicians.

Bangladeshis have always been democratic in true sense always been ready to protest for democracy BUT it does not mean that they should be fed hate against their own army.

This is the Indian dream to create a rift between Bangladeshis and BD army to take advantage of the situation.

^ those who wanted to(I am not referring to the Indians) create a rift almost succeeded.when the army officers' bodies started coming out of the sluice gates opinion immediately shifted.
It's a good thing that no word has been said about creating an entire separate officers' corps for the BDR.

heard about banning facebook as well.If that happens I am gearing up for our own mutiny(joke).

Back
Top Bottom