What's new

Bangladesh becoming trillion-dollar economy much before 2040: FBCCI

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Published on 09:16 PM, March 13, 2023

Bangladesh becoming trillion-dollar economy much before 2040: FBCCI​

Bangladesh Business Summit 2023

FBCCI President Md Jashim Uddin was addressing a press conference on the occasion of Bangladesh Business Summit. Photo: Star
Star Business Report

Bangladesh will become a trillion-dollar economy much before 2040 because of infrastructural developments, economic growth momentum and confidence and indomitable spirit of local entrepreneurs, said FBCCI President Md Jashim Uddin today.

"We had a lot of constraints in the economy. We did not get available land to establish factories, get adequate gas and we had faced load shedding," he said.

"Even after these, we have been able to make the size of our economy around $470 billion," said the chief of the Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FBCCI).

Bangladesh recorded economic growth of 6.5 per cent to 7 per cent even after so many constraints and the Padma Bridge's opening will accelerate the growth by 1.3 per cent., he said.
Several mega projects have been implemented and more are underway, he said.

"We did not have economic zones. These have been developed and factories are yet to start production," he said, adding that a number of firms from South Korea were establishing factories in the economic zones.

Business is profitable here than in the UK, he said at a press conference at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre in Dhaka to share the outcome of Bangladesh Business Summit 2023 organised by the FBCCI with government support.

The three-day summit, which concluded yesterday, sought to showcase the capabilities of Bangladesh and its potential to investors at home and abroad.

A total of 896 participants registered paying fees and a good number of businesses were attracted, including nearly 300 foreign delegates from countries such as Saudi Arabia, Bhutan, China, Hong Kong, Nigeria and Turkey, said the FBCCI president.

Jashim said the participation of businesses in the event had buoyed his confidence.

"We have to believe in that. After the summit, I am more confident today than before. We have showcased our strength to the world," said the president of the apex trade body.

Replying to a question about the investment the FBCCI expects the summit to draw, Jashim said the aim of the event was to highlight Bangladesh's economic potentials, not attract investment.

Can someone tell me how without investments in infrastructure building, FDIs and local investment of $2000 billion, the GDP can increase to $1000 billion?

Why 2040, I was hoping it would happen by 2030 or early 2030s.
Becoming a trillion Dollar economy by 2040 does not count an ambition. Just a moderate pace of average annual GDP growth of 5% will propel Bangladesh to that mark. Big question mark would be our political stability, if current govt. remain hellbent on repeating the election of 2018 in future elections then we can expect the economy to down to drain and should aim of achieving an economy of 100 billion by 2040.

Last edited:
Becoming a trillion Dollar economy by 2040 does not count an ambition. Just a moderate pace of average annual GDP growth of 5% will propel Bangladesh to that mark. Big question mark would be our political stability, if current govt. remain hellbent on repeating the election of 2018 in future elections then we can expect the economy to down to drain and should aim of achieving an economy of 100 billion by 2040.

It's the other way around IMO. If the current government repeats 2018 then we will have stability and reach 1 trillion faster. If BNP comes to power there will be instability as well as the plague called Tariq chora. That doesn't mean I consider this government legitimate or don't want democracy. It's just that in the present situation I don't see a viable alternative.

a chaddi stitching industry can only get you that far, guys

say trillion takas, USD bhool jao

Align toward your east. try joining with asean. Make closer ties with Far east countries like Japan, South Korea, China.
Distance yourself with this south asian pile of crap. (Sadly saying this).
East Asia is the Future of Asia. Make closer ties with them.
Indo Pak will remain third world for a long long time.And its everything to do with our culture and society.
Best of Luck Bangladesh

a chaddi stitching industry can only get you that far, guys

say trillion takas, USD bhool jao
Whatever you say, the BD govt now claims our GDP at $400 billion. Another $600 billion is to be added to it by some non-economic methods I guess.

Please wait patiently our BD govt will find out $2400 billion in investment money and the GDP will grow by leaps and bounds.

The only condition is you are not allowed to die before it happens. BD people are half-literate and most people even in this forum are without knowledge of national economic progress.

This is the reason why our politicians play this kind of stupid game about economic progress. I am sure they themselves have little idea about this.

Little learning is a dangerous thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom