What's new

Astrologers look to the stars to help Indian businesses

That is patently misguided and misleading.

Evidence of Indian statistical approach is not available but given the permutation and combinations that goes into Indian astrological prediction, it is clear it cannot have been formed without empirical and statistical evidence.

For eg. French psychologist and statistician Michel Gauquelin has collected statistical data of over 20,000 sports professionals to statistically prove correlation between athletic fame and the position of the planet Mars relative to the time and place of birth. His work has been published. You can read Mars effect.

My friend, can you please recommend a book which has empirical evidence from India? Like you yourself said there is not evidence, then where am I misleading? You are in fact basing your argument on 'it might be there'.

The only way to test and prove is to test and show with empirical evidence. Which is why I said, in India as of today I am not aware of anybody who has pulished something like this.

And please for a second do not believe that I do not understand astrology. My grandfather was versed in it, my dad is well versed in it and I have read enough of those books to know when a Mars effect is applicable and not applicable.

I studied in Coimbatore. things they do in business shops are amazing. before opening, inside the shuttered shop, they light up saffron and do some prayers or pooja. it's OK and smell is nice :) . one shop has a big very big pumpkin tied to the roof just outside the shop. every evening a employee of the shop will take the pumpkins away and breaks it off. kind of like this shop owner believes the pumpkin absorbs all the negative energies! many shops have a picture like identical foxes or donkeys.. the belief is watching this will bring luck. (Ennai paar yogam varum/Mujhe Deikho Laabh mileiga is written in these pictures LOL!)

Last edited:
The key is "degree of accuracy". The business of astrology is a game of statistical probability.

You are assuming astrology can be used to predict stock market. I cannot. It can only predict people.

Actually, there is a book written by an American on financial astrology, where he has mapped astronomical movements to stock movements based on which industries they are from.

My friend, can you please recommend a book which has empirical evidence from India? Like you yourself said there is not evidence, then where am I misleading? You are in fact basing your argument on 'it might be there'.

The only way to test and prove is to test and show with empirical evidence. Which is why I said, in India as of today I am not aware of anybody who has pulished something like this.

And please for a second do not believe that I do not understand astrology. My grandfather was versed in it, my dad is well versed in it and I have read enough of those books to know when a Mars effect is applicable and not applicable.

Ironically there is a bunch of Chinese scholars who have published a scientific report with statistical evidence about the correlation between the lunar phases and stock returns. :angel:

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitst...d=1A5D35F9D80251B044B59AB4318ED0C1?sequence=2

Ironically there is a bunch of Chinese scholars who have published a scientific report with statistical evidence about the correlation between the lunar phases and stock returns. :angel:

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitst...d=1A5D35F9D80251B044B59AB4318ED0C1?sequence=2

Exactly, the point I am driving to. Indians are not devoting time to prove, except to disprove. It has become a fad to disprove anything traditional, without trying yourself to prove.

If you do not believe in something, learn enough about the topic to understand, why you dont believe in it.

I studied in Coimbatore. things they do in business shops are amazing. before opening, inside the shuttered shop, they light up saffron and do some prayers or pooja. it's OK and smell is nice :) . one shop has a big very big pumpkin tied to the roof just outside the shop. every evening a employee of the shop will take the pumpkins away and breaks it off. kind of like this shop owner believes the pumpkin absorbs all the negative energies! many shops have a picture like below of identical foxes or donkeys.. the belief is watching this will bring luck. (Ennai paar yogam varum/Mujhe Deikho Laabh mileiga is written in these pictures LOL!)

I was told you are a christian ........so I have observed that in Mumbai some people kneel down before a torture device with a figure of a man being tortured and light candles. They apparently believe that the torture device and the candle will work in conjunction to provide a magical solution to their problem. LOL.

In fact they believe that touching the torture device will bring them luck.

Exactly, the point I am driving to. Indians are not devoting time to prove, except to disprove. It has become a fad to disprove anything traditional, without trying yourself to prove.

If you do not believe in something, learn enough about the topic to understand, why you dont believe in it.

Because there is nothing to prove. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

No point in speculating about the taste of the pudding without eating it, is there ? Indians are smart enough to know this.

I was told you are a christian
that does not hurt me. I and most others don't feel offended like you who cries in this forum from the day you joined over Hindu sentiments. carry on. I posted above because was seriously amazed to see this practices. back in Kerala, I never watched this pumpkin business or hanging photos of foxes.

Well, I see people are here with the 'some things they said happened to be true in my life you guys' brigade.

They may use Mathematics to find the alignment of stars, that's the scientific part about it.

The fact that certain star movements, planetary motions and constellations have an effect on the action-reaction correlation of our lives, mostly driven by our thought and actions is baloney anyway.

It removes a lot of culpability from our actions and you can blame fate on it.

Leave me out of this fatalistic bandwagon.

*In before people accuse me of being a western sell-out and Anti-Hindu*
MOON lUNAR cycles are known to have effect on tides in ocean and even mentally retarded people in mental asylums.Cases reported say increase in psychotic ,violent behaviour on those days is documented.Also seen are more accidnets and more ER cases on those days, so not all is superstitious hooey.

that does not hurt me. I and most others don't feel offended like you who cries in this forum from the day you joined over Hindu sentiments. carry on. I posted above because was seriously amazed to see this practices. back in Kerala, I never watched this pumpkin business or hanging photos of foxes.

LOL. Why should that hurt you ? I was trying to amaze you further with tales of baffling behavior by Christians.

I was equally amazed to see the practice of naming their kids James and Thomas :P .........apparently that somehow made mallus more 'christian'. Imagine my amazement when the priests gave out cookies and said they were the "flesh" of a tortured man. Further amazement when they dished out alcohol and claimed it is blood of an tortured man.

My amazement continued when the priest poured water on a baby's head and "purified" him :cheesy: .....imagine my amazement when they went around claiming all human beings were "sinners".

Like you I continue to be amazed and bewildered by such practices in kerala.

Astrology is used in taking business decisions ??? Really?

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Why should that hurt you ? I was trying to amaze you further with tales of baffling behavior by Christians.
you will surely bring everyone to your level. there is a quote about people like you. never argue with a ..

you will surely bring everyone to your level. there is a quote about people like you. never argue with a ..

LOL. On the contrary I am bringing the posting to YOUR level.

I was attempting to share your sense of Amazement :lol: ......looks like you do not appreciate my attempts to post at your level. What a shame.

You have yourself admitted that astrology is evidenced on statistical probability and that is scientific. You can only argue about the degree of accuracy or the probability ratio.

Even if I make random predictions without following astrology or anything else, the accuracy of those predictions would have a statistical value. That doesn't make it scientific.

Even if I make random predictions without following astrology or anything else, the accuracy of those predictions would have a statistical value. That doesn't make it scientific.

Of course not, but if you make a prediction based on a mathematical formula and associated characteristics then it would be scientific.

If you make a prediction based on the psychology of the individual then it would be scientific.

If you make prediction based on historical evidence, then it would be scientific.

Every mathematician and scientists knows there are mathematical and scientific constants which are introduced because that is just the way the universe works. That does not make it any less scientific.

Boltzmann constant, Planck constant, golden ratio, , speed of light, Bohr magnetron, Proton magnetic moment etc...

Just because we do not complete understand something, does not make in any less true or real.

The mathematical equations that predict in Indian astrology is based on equations that uses such constants and their associated characteristics.

Every mathematician and scientists knows there are mathematical and scientific constants which are introduced because that is just the way the universe works. That does not make it any less scientific.
Boltzmann constant, Planck constant, golden ratio, , speed of light, Bohr magnetron, Proton magnetic moment etc...

All of those make sense because all of those can be quantitatively and scientifically measured. For example Millikan measured Planck's constant early in the 20th century. Physics - Centennial Focus: Millikan’s Measurement of Planck’s Constant

Now tell me how astrology has been scientifically verified. There is no critical evaluations of astrological predictions, there is no peer review. There is no data sharing and matching. There is no error percentage. It is so easy that anyone can be an astrologer, as those who believe in it are not going to question you anyway. Astrology feeds off fear of mind. It is not science.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom