What's new

Astrologers look to the stars to help Indian businesses

Idiots-Happen.png

If it is any consolation, I share the same sentiment about you.

If people can see the future, why aren't they preventing natural disasters?

If people can see the future, why aren't they billionaires already from the stock market?

It doesn't make any sense. I would love it if someone was able to see in to the future, and use that ability to prevent natural disasters. But it's not happening?

That's hardly "predicting the future" with any degree of accuracy.

That's like me saying, "Tomorrow someone will sneeze". It needs to be much more specific rather than just a general statement.

If Indian businesses can use Astrology to predict the future... then why has Indian economic growth dropped to 4%?

Why aren't all Indian Astrologers billionaires, if they can see the future then why haven't they used that knowledge to invest in the stock market?

I would love it if someone could predict the future with any degree of accuracy, but there doesn't seem to be anyone who can do that in a testable and verifiable manner. And if they could, they would be billionaires already.

The key is "degree of accuracy". The business of astrology is a game of statistical probability.

You are assuming astrology can be used to predict stock market. I cannot. It can only predict people.

Proove your point dumbass, don't start slinging shit

@WebMaster kindly take action for insulting other members.

in most countries you can expect businessmen to be the most rational of people, but not in India...
thats because there is no fair competition so that you can have an edge over your competitor. The level of randomness in your success is way more than hard work or mind you put into it.

If people can see the future, why aren't they billionaires already from the stock market?

It doesn't make any sense. I would love it if someone was able to see in to the future, and use that ability to prevent natural disasters. But it's not happening?

That is illogical, how can predicting a earthquake prevent an earthquake ?

We can predict the monsoon to some extend, but we cannot make it rain when we want it too.

You make another assumption, that knowing the future can help you change it. Not necessarily true, is it ?

it wont be specific, they gave a random idea only.

I have no idea about Indian Astrology, but I'd like to see how it is "fairly scientific and accurate"?

There is no such thing as "fairly scientific". It is either scientific or not. Something which is scientific may not be accurate, for example weather forecasts. But astrology is neither scientific nor accurate. If you make 100 predictions, chances are that a couple of them would come true, astrology is just that.

The key is "degree of accuracy". The business of astrology is a game of statistical probability.

You are assuming astrology can be used to predict stock market. I cannot. It can only predict people.

The world is run by people, if anyone can accurately and reliably predict the future actions of Putin for example, they could also make billions from the stock market. See the drastic changes in the Russian stock market from the recent events there.

It could also stave off disasters, many of which result from the actions of individuals.

If it's pure guesswork without any degree of reliability, then at least psychology is based on case studies and logical deduction, which is not great but at least it is based on better foundations than Astrology.

The world is run by people, if anyone can accurately and reliably predict the future actions of Putin for example, they could also make billions from the stock market. See the drastic changes in the Russian stock market from the recent events there.

It could also stave off disasters, many of which result from the actions of individuals.

If it's pure guesswork without any degree of reliability, then at least psychology is based on case studies and logical deduction, which is not great but at least it is based on better foundations than Astrology.

Again you make statements on something you know nothing about. What do you know of Indian astrology ? less than nothing ? You are making assumptions based on ignorance and prejudice.

There are LOT of people who do predict actions of Putin. Some of them base it on psychology as you have mentioned. Your assumption that predicting actions based on psychology rather than astrology is more reliable, is also a guesswork, is it not ?

Indian astrology makes prediction with a certain probability of success. A certain degree of accuracy and that prediction is used as input for making decisions.

One of the other assumption you have made is that individuals if stopped will prevent the disaster. Often the individual is only a representative of what has to happen. Germany would have gone to war even if there was no Hitler.

Last edited:
Indian astrology makes prediction with a certain probability of success. A certain degree of accuracy and that prediction is used as input for making decisions.

So, has it been successful in improving the decision making within the Indian economy?

And if so, then why are growth rates falling so much?

"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, ..."

(However, one cannot rule out self-fulfilling prophecies.)

So, has it been successful in improving the decision making within the Indian economy?

And if so, then why are growth rates falling so much?

Again the assumption being the Indian govt. uses astrology for making economic and governance decisions. There is nothing to make you think that.

If you want to talk about the Indian economy then there is a separate thread on that.

There is no such thing as "fairly scientific". It is either scientific or not. Something which is scientific may not be accurate, for example weather forecasts. But astrology is neither scientific nor accurate. If you make 100 predictions, chances are that a couple of them would come true, astrology is just that.

That is just semantics. Anything that follows the set pattern of Experiment, observation and conclusion is called scientific.

You have yourself admitted that astrology is evidenced on statistical probability and that is scientific. You can only argue about the degree of accuracy or the probability ratio.

It is widely practiced because it does give a reasonable degree of success. Enough for people to come back to it.

I have no idea about Indian Astrology, but I'd like to see how it is "fairly scientific and accurate"?

Science is about empirical evidence, that provides consistent results from repeatable testing.

Say you drop an object (given you are somewhere around sea level), it will accelerate downwards at about 9.8 m/s2 , and you can test that yourself a hundred times over, or a thousand times over. That is why gravity is a scientific principle, there is empirical and repeatably testable evidence for it.

I try to keep an open mind, so I will listen to your argument as to how Indian Astrology is "fairly scientific and accurate". Let's hear it.

There are some chaps in the US, who have studied astrology with the stock exchange. On the ups and dowsn. And mapped it with movements of astronomy. Quite detailed and interesting read. Though, have not myself tried those strategies.

Indians however, I admit, have never tried backing things or studying it with an emprical mindset.

There are some chaps in the US, who have studied astrology with the stock exchange. On the ups and dowsn. And mapped it with movements of astronomy. Quite detailed and interesting read. Though, have not myself tried those strategies.

Indians however, I admit, have never tried backing things or studying it with an emprical mindset.

That is patently misguided and misleading.

Evidence of Indian statistical approach is not available but given the permutation and combinations that goes into Indian astrological prediction, it is clear it cannot have been formed without empirical and statistical evidence.

For eg. French psychologist and statistician Michel Gauquelin has collected statistical data of over 20,000 sports professionals to statistically prove correlation between athletic fame and the position of the planet Mars relative to the time and place of birth. His work has been published. You can read Mars effect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom