What's new

Ask your question about Iran

Maybe your nose just messed up. :D

Do Iranians understand Urdu? I can understand some Persian like in one thread Shahin was complaining about it taking 10 years for an Iranian mod. :azn:

Your national anthem I understand. However when you guys are chatting regularly, I understand only a few words here and there.

Why don't you buy organic?

My mom is getting into this whole organic thing but I don't bother. I guess I should. I'm gonna buy organic ice cream and see if it has real milk in it. That's gonna be my litmus test for organic food in general lol

They have to give you a guide, because its part of the procedures. But don't let they scare you; many guides are really chill and they will actually help you to get around.

I think the guides go to tourism school so it's even better than travelling alone. They're supe knowledgeable and aren't govt minders. You can do whatever the fuu you want.

Pakistani

In Iran blood and father's nationality defines a person's nationality (that's actually the law believe it or not lol). That's also how people think. Even if you are born to a Canadian mother and an Iranian father and live your whole life in Canada and never step foot in Iran, you're still considered an Iranian by the govt. However if you live your whole life in Iran but were born in Afghanistan, for example, you won't get a citizenship. Even if you were born in Iran but to people without IRanian citizenship than you're not Iranian (a lot of Afghan refugees have this problem in Iran and I wish they would just be granted citizenship if they were born in Iran).

And yeah, Shiraz is the capital of Fars/Pars province. It's the city I was born in and grew up in. The city is 50 km away from Perspolis and other ancient Achemenid sites.

Yeah Arabs do the same thing it is a messed up procedure. My father's side of the family migrated from their centuries ago. That is where I would like to visit one day. Believe it or not up until my parents generation my grandparents actually spoke Persian and Persian was taught in most Pakistani schools along with Urdu. My maternal grandfather is still alive and fluent in Persian, Urdu, English because of the British schools, and Arabic.

Maybe your nose just messed up. :D

Do Iranians understand Urdu? I can understand some Persian like in one thread Shahin was complaining about it taking 10 years for an Iranian mod. :azn:

Iranians can barely understand Persian spoken in an Afghan accent (afghans on the other hand easily understand our accent)

So Urdu, no way

They have to give you a guide, because its part of the procedures. But don't let they scare you; many guides are really chill and they will actually help you to get around.

Aight it's cool, I don't mind I am not CIA anyway. :D

Iranians can barely understand Persian spoken in an Afghan accent (afghans on the other hand easily understand our accent)

So Urdu, no way

I thought dari and farsi were interchangeable like Urdu/Hindi?

It is. But Afghan dialect is a little hard to understand. At beginning you may miss 10-20% of what they are saying. If you listen to it for a little bit then you will understand perfectly.

I think the guides go to tourism school so it's even better than travelling alone. They're supe knowledgeable and aren't govt minders. You can do whatever the fuu you want.

Indeed. And I assume they can speak English too, so he wouldn't encounter any translation problems. That guy from Humans of New York went to Iran one month ago and they also appointed him a guide, and he said this about it:

There were a lot of uncertainties surrounding my trip to Iran. The US Government advises against all travel to Iran, and especially warns against photography. I travelled to Iran without knowing if I'd be able to achieve anything resembling my work in NYC.

I knew that a lion's share of my success would hinge on one thing: my guide. Like all Americans, I was assigned a full time guide during my travels through the country. All I knew was that his name was Mohammad, and he was certified by the government to lead Americans.

Who was this man? And how was he going to respond when I told him: "Museums are great, but instead let's walk around all day and ask strangers for their photograph."

Mohammad was an absolute godsend. He not only allowed my photography, but he believed in it and became a partner in its success. Asking strangers for photographs is an intimidating process. But he never once refused to make an approach. And almost always, he succeeded in securing permission.

As a result, the collection of photographs that emerged from this trip was a collaborative effort. I provided the eye, Mohammad provided the tongue. Without him, none of these photos would exist, and I am so thankful for his contribution.

I will be providing his contact info in my next post, regarding general guidelines for travel to Iran.

Indeed. And I assume they can speak English too, so he wouldn't encounter any translation problems. That guy from Humans of New York went to Iran one month ago and they also appointed him a guide, and he said this about it:

I would probably need one anyway since I don' t speak language but if you guys understood Urdu it would be another thing entirely.

My mom is getting into this whole organic thing but I don't bother. I guess I should. I'm gonna buy organic ice cream and see if it has real milk in it. That's gonna be my litmus test for organic food in general lol

It is better than the ***** they put in processed food but expensive.

I would probably need one anyway since I don' t speak language but if you guys understood Urdu it would be another thing entirely.

That's right, but don't count on it. I don't think they would understand you completely. More about his travel:

ON TRAVEL TO IRAN:

The US Government has a lengthy travel warning for Iran. While not advising you to ignore this warning, I do advise that you balance it with direct accounts of Americans who have recently visited the country. These accounts are generally filled with superlatives-- the country is beautiful, the history is rich, and the people are eager to demonstrate their almost-sacred commitment to hospitality.

Americans are especially loved. This was noted in every travel account that I read, and I can confirm the fact. You will be smiled at, waved at, invited to meals, and asked to deliver personal messages to Jennifer Lopez. American music, movies, and media are thoroughly consumed by the people of Iran. Like all countries, there are many different viewpoints, but the vast majority of people will associate you with a culture they admire and respect.

I was by no means starry eyed. I'm well aware of Iran's modern history and government, though my portraits pointedly contained no mention of either. Some of the government's policies are unfortunately impossible to ignore: Israelis, for example, are not allowed to enter the country. You cannot even enter the country if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport.* I mention this only because it's well publicized and relevant to travel. I'm avoiding all other critiques, because I am foremost a photographer, and these issues are well-trodden by Western media outlets.

But I can tell you this: for two weeks I mingled with the culture, people, and scenery of Iran, with almost no interference from the government. (A privilege admittedly denied to Iran's citizenry) I enjoyed the advantages that a tourist receives in any country. Like all countries, Iran has a strong economic interest in insuring its tourists enjoy themselves. Everyone in an official capacity will be very eager that you enjoy your stay. The unfortunate reality is that our two governments have hostile relations, so you will not be allowed to stay in Iranian homes, or go off on your own with Iranian friends. But you will be given extensive freedom to tour the country.

Because you are an American, you will be assigned a guide. But this will be an unexpected blessing. The guide is trained in tourism, and is by no means a government "minder." Beyond insuring that you adhere to the guidelines mentioned above, their job is to educate you on the history and culture of Iran. Assuming you have no interest in journalism or espionage, the guide will facilitate and expand your experience. In all likelihood, he/she will become your friend. My guide was Mohammad Eslami. If you plan on travelling to Iran, I recommend contacting him: mohammadjavad_82@yahoo.com

You will need a visa. This is most easily achieved through AITO, a tourism agency linked with the Foreign Ministry. In all likelihood it will be approved within 2 weeks. Your visa will need to be retrieved from the Pakistani embassy in Washington DC. (Though I believe you can arrange for it to be shipped.)

Lastly, travel to Iran is extremely cheap right now. It is a darkly beneficial effect of the recent currency devaluation. In very few places can you currently see more, for less.

I'll close with the common cliche: Iran's government is not its people. You can greatly enjoy a country, while at the same time disagreeing with its government. Travel is not advocacy of ideology or policy. Travel is travel, and it's the single greatest contributor to understanding between cultures.

Aight it's cool, I don't mind I am not CIA anyway. :D

dari is Parsi. I don't even know why it's called "dari"

It's one language. The only difference are the loan words. Afghans and Tajiks use Russian and English loan words and we use French loan words. The language itself is the same. However the spoken language is what Iranians have a problem with. It's not that different but for some reason our ears have a bit of a problem with the Afghan accent (it takes a bit of time for use to get used to it). Afghans on the other hand understand us immediately.

You forgot our Qashqai friend Abii.

Abii, you should not be such a self-hater.

My grandfather was a Qashqai, I'm not. Neither me or my father can speak the language.

Your ancestors were either Armenian/Kurd or Parsi till they got turkified, does that mean you're kurd, Armenian or Parsi?

Your still a Qashqai, therefore actually an Azerbaijani Turk aswell, you can choose to be a self-hater, its up to you. :D

Is that guy still hanging around here? Come on, boycott that pathetic creature.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom