What's new

Argentina Considering To Purchase 12 JF17C Worth 664Million Dollars

That is a big deal for our aerospace industry.

Let's hope things go through.
Hi,

That will be a massive moral booster of a deal like no other---.

Power to be---will do their best to stop the deal---.

BLK 3 is an aircraft that covers all the air to air and air to surface combat situations with highly tactical modern weaponry---and that makes it extremely painful for the opponents of Argentina---.

Hi,

That will be a massive moral booster of a deal like no other---.

Power to be---will do their best to stop the deal---.

BLK 3 is an aircraft that covers all the air to air and air to surface combat situations with highly tactical modern weaponry---and that makes it extremely painful for the opponents of Argentina---.

I don't think it would do much against Typhoons or F-35Bs, but they have to start from somewhere. JF-17 is a good deal to revitalize their airforce.

Argentina is as big as India but with far less population density.... I don't understand why such huge country looking to acquire single engine jets.... Even Tejas is not suitable if they are planning to buy it for offensive missions.... They should look at buying some heavy weights like Flankers or Chinese J series.....Eagles also good but I doubt USA will be able to sell them due to the pressure of UK.....

I have a feeling that Argentina didn't opt for top of the line AA missiles. It is possible that they went for PL-5E/PL-12 combo instead of PL-10E/PL-15E. Otherwise why keep the details ambiguous instead of saying that they got top of the line AA missiles as part of the deal?

Argentina is as big as India but with far less population density.... I don't understand why such huge country looking to acquire single engine jets.... Even Tejas is not suitable if they are planning to buy it for offensive missions.... They should look at buying some heavy weights like Flankers or Chinese J series.....Eagles also good but I doubt USA will be able to sell them due to the pressure of UK.....
They don’t have the money. They have a rather small defense budget. Flankers risk CAASTA. Chinese Flanker series isn’t offered for export. Leaves behind J-10C (back to the money problem).

I have a feeling that Argentina didn't opt for top of the line AA missiles. It is possible that they went for PL-5E/PL-12 combo instead of PL-10E/PL-15E. Otherwise why keep the details ambiguous instead of saying that they got top of the line AA missiles as part of the deal?
Might be so they don’t attract too much attention from the Brits this early?

They don’t have the money. They have a rather small defense budget. Flankers risk CAASTA. Chinese Flanker series isn’t offered for export. Leaves behind J-10C (back to the money problem).

Might be so they don’t attract too much attention from the Brits this early?

Entirely possible. If they want any decent BVR abilities though they have to go with Block III. Tejas will have Astra, but I am not sure it could be deployed as quickly and in sufficient numbers. Mig-35 is saddled with R-77 and there is no way the F-16 will come with anything more sophisticated than AIM-7 if Egypt and Indonesia couldn't get AIM-120.

The profit made in this sale is far not enough for Pakistan to cover the costs of buying 'additional equipment' maintaining the inferior F16 batch Pakistan has. JF17-III with its AESA and more advanced PL10E should easily gun down any F16 not with a 'V' designation.

This deal could be quite important for China. Other than Pakistan, Argentina could be the next country to have jets with Chinese engines. The deal if it happens, would immensely boost interest in Chinese jets IMO, since it's another 100% sanction free product with a single source for spare parts.
Yup, I agree. I don't think China makes profits from the sale, but the strategic cooepration of a major S.American country is important on the geopolitical stage. The purchase hugely benefits Argentina as it seeks cooperation and membership into the Shanghai Cooperation.

Last edited:

$3 billion budget to be precise

Argentina is major threat to Falklands. JF-17 scares the Anglos.

With a $3 billion defense budget Argentina is no position to threaten anyone

I don't think it would do much against Typhoons or F-35Bs, but they have to start from somewhere. JF-17 is a good deal to revitalize their airforce.
Hi,

We will keep the 5th gen out and stay within 4---4 1/2 gen

Beats me,
maybe you should ask HAL folks, they did fly there to offer the Teja.

Entirely possible. If they want any decent BVR abilities though they have to go with Block III. Tejas will have Astra, but I am not sure it could be deployed as quickly and in sufficient numbers. Mig-35 is saddled with R-77 and there is no way the F-16 will come with anything more sophisticated than AIM-7 if Egypt and Indonesia couldn't get AIM-120.
According to my Argentinian Friends. MiG-35 and Tejas are “very much not” in the running for the tender. The only two options are the F-16 and the JF-17. The F-16 honestly makes far more logistical and political sense for Argentina. Logistical because their current A4F use a bunch of components from the F-16 and political because then any issue remains in the west and China isn’t introduced into the south Asian fighter marker.
Currently the US has submitted a request to Britain to clear the sale of the aircraft, but with the British change in rulers it might throw a spanner in the progress if any had been made.

The original plan was to sell F-16 Block 40s to Argentina and locally upgrade them to block 50. Then it changed to offering them even older Danish F-16 MLUs, now they’re back to offering Block 40 (but maybe without the upgrade package). We’ve no idea of the munitions that will be provided but rest assured US will control their BVRs and AShMs. Also block 50/52+ and Beyond have British components, so they’re not an option anyways. Newest they can get is Block 50/52.

Obviously the F-16 has its inherent advantages in size and range, speed and maneuvering etc, but The Block 3 will easily outdo it in armament. That being said, it’s really still anyones game because Argentina has a say in his things go too, despite American pressure. So we have no idea who they will pick and when they will do it, if at all. There might just be so many political hurdles that we won’t see them buy a new fighter for several years still.

don't know how much they have weighed two hurdles US and GB, one would not like China enter South American market and obviously want to sell its own the other does not even want them have any such capability that JF-17 offers. although GB may agree to F-16 being continuously under sanctions threat.

or may be they are testing the opposition to this sale by releasing some official news in a way by putting weight in buying JF-17.

According to my Argentinian Friends. MiG-35 and Tejas are “very much not” in the running for the tender. The only two options are the F-16 and the JF-17. The F-16 honestly makes far more logistical and political sense for Argentina. Logistical because their current A4F use a bunch of components from the F-16 and political because then any issue remains in the west and China isn’t introduced into the south Asian fighter marker.
Currently the US has submitted a request to Britain to clear the sale of the aircraft, but with the British change in rulers it might throw a spanner in the progress if any had been made.

The original plan was to sell F-16 Block 40s to Argentina and locally upgrade them to block 50. Then it changed to offering them even older Danish F-16 MLUs, now they’re back to offering Block 40 (but maybe without the upgrade package). We’ve no idea of the munitions that will be provided but rest assured US will control their BVRs and AShMs. Also block 50/52+ and Beyond have British components, so they’re not an option anyways. Newest they can get is Block 50/52.

Obviously the F-16 has its inherent advantages in size and range, speed and maneuvering etc, but The Block 3 will easily outdo it in armament. That being said, it’s really still anyones game because Argentina has a say in his things go too, despite American pressure. So we have no idea who they will pick and when they will do it, if at all. There might just be so many political hurdles that we won’t see them buy a new fighter for several years still.

with a $3 billion budget and 12 combat aircraft does any of these matter ?

Back
Top Bottom