What's new

Argentina chooses second hand Kfir over JF-17, Gripen.

Money issue. Regardless, they couldn't afford anything that could challenge the Typhoon anyway.

Waz Bhai I am with my Argentinian brethren....'cause they've promised me a personal condo on the Malvinas Islands ! :smokin:

Poor Argentina. Why not just save your little money for your economy? You were never a match for us. Falkland is going nowhere. Except we decide miraculously to give it to you out of pity/goodwill. So argentina ought to be pleading us/negotiate for a joint ownership/resource exploitation, not trying to act tough, since that will lead her nowhere.:D

JF 17 or even J10A were never a match for our typhoons anyway, so better argentina saves its money.:pop:

Last edited:
Waz Bhai I am with my Argentinian brethren....'cause they've promised me a personal condo on the Malvinas Islands ! :smokin:

Malvinas? What's that bro? Point that on the map please? Your brethren shouldn't be promising something he can't deliver. His brethren were shown the door last time. :omghaha:

Malvinas? What's that bro? Point that on the map please? Your brethren shouldn't be promising something he can't deliver. His brethren were shown the door last time. :omghaha:
i think the kfir is a stop gap. Argentina is also buying p18 ships. Argentina will not annoy china by not buying its products. the Argentinian pm was A*S licking the Chinese president just for investment. Argentina will get the jf17 eventually. if not they can wave goodbye to some Chinese investment. you need to give to get
also the kfir is based on the mirage 5 which Argentina already has so maintenance on the kfir will not be an issue as they can cannibalise some parts for maintenance. so the kfir is a good decision, but the jf17 will sure complement it very well.
China, Argentina set for defence collaboration, Malvinas-class OPV deal - IHS Jane's 360

i think the kfir is a stop gap. Argentina is also buying p18 ships. Argentina will not annoy china by not buying its products. the Argentinian pm was A*S licking the Chinese president just for investment. Argentina will get the jf17 eventually. if not they can wave goodbye to some Chinese investment. you need to give to get
also the kfir is based on the mirage 5 which Argentina already has so maintenance on the kfir will not be an issue as they can cannibalise some parts for maintenance. so the kfir is a good decision, but the jf17 will sure complement it very well.
China, Argentina set for defence collaboration, Malvinas-class OPV deal - IHS Jane's 360

Thanks for that. I know the Argentines are looking towards China.

they have no choice. no one else will go to Argentina with out annoying the uk.

They were relying on Brazil and then Brazil's bottom fell out, economically...That and the rest of S.America.

They were relying on Brazil and then Brazil's bottom fell out, economically...That and the rest of S.America.
the gripen may be Swedish but remember it's 20% pure British thats what blew the deal

the gripen may be Swedish but remember it's 20% pure British thats what blew the deal
the jc-1 and the j10b are string free and can be sold to anyone who china wishes to sell to without any international pressure. except for russia as they use Russian engines

Hi,

Seems like all this procurement was a drama---. Argentina has no infra structure to invade Flaklands----its navy is in a miserable condition---does not have the money to conduct regular excercizes----its army has supply issues----and with the refusal of the Chinese to sell it anti ship missiles----there was no reason for Argentina to get the JF 17.

I don't know what they would do with 2 sqdrns of JF 17's---. The procurement does not solve their problems.

Last edited:
Argentina approves $ 267M for Mirage-3 replacement program
Argentina has already reserved money to replace the Mirage recently decommissioned. By Presidential Decree 1775 issued on September 11 additional allocations for different subsections of the Government of Argentina among them is a party of about 267 million dollars for the acquisition of aircraft Supersonic II project are established. Argentina continues to await the election of the aircraft that will replace the recently discharged from the Mirage family without glimpsing in the horizon many options, basically leaving the IAI Kfir as the only viable, but given the amount allocated to only reach a small batch aircraft, and this assuming no depreciation of the peso against the dollar in the next three years, which is more than obvious that happen, so now is a game of $ 267 million, to be allocated in pesos, in a few years it will be reduced.

Argentina approves $ 267M for Mirage-3 replacement program | Defence blog

Screenshot_2015-10-23-01-32-10.png
GOOD LUCK TO THEM :sleep:

can Kfir use AShMs? JF-17 with CM-802AKG would be the best combo to attack the Falkland islands and British ships.

Can't add source due to Limited number of posts, Read on UK defence journal

Argentina To Purchase 14 Kfir Fighter Jets

Argentina is expected to sign a contract today covering the purchase of 14 Kfir Block 60 fighters.

The Argentine air force have opted to acquire upgraded examples of the Israel Aerospace Industries-produced combat aircraft, which have been non-operational for two decades, most analysts consider them largely obsolete.

The Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) Kfir is an Israeli built multirole combat aircraft based on a modified French Dassault Mirage 5 airframe, with Israeli avionics and an Israeli-built version of the General Electric J79 turbojet engine.

IAI had been offering a Block 60 version of the roughly 40-year-old Kfir design, powered by a GE Aviation J79 engine. The company says the powerplant will be supplied in a “zero-hour” condition after a complete overhaul, with replacement required after 1,600 flight hours.

The jet will also be fitted with an Elta Systems EL/M-2032 active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, a relatively potent sensor system.

This comes after a significant period of decline in which the Argentine armed forces ceased to be a capable military force. In August 2015, the Argentine air force retired its Mirage fighters, with only a handful of them even flyable.

The problems don’t stop there, their submarine crews despite benefiting from a recent upgrade, need at least 190 days of immersion practice and in 2014 only spent 19 hours submerged. A similar situation is faced by their four destroyers, they don’t have any weaponry.

Argentine ground forces rarely have the resources for training and are vastly under equipped, their kit dates back to the 70’s and is in very short supply. In addition to this, the Argentine Air Force largely consists of a collection of obsolete aircraft mostly dating back to the 1970’s, which are frequently grounded due to poor serviceability. They’re now even getting rid of their only semi-capable fighter aircraft.

According to IHS Janes

“The Argentine Air Force is drastically cutting staff working hours and decommissioning its last fighter aircraft amid continuing budget issues.

A recently published daily agenda indicates that the service’s working hours have been significantly reduced, from 0800 to 1300; rationing of food, energy consumption, and office supplies has been directed headquarters staff and property residents; and only the minimum personnel required to staff headquarters, directorates, and commands are working.

These orders, issued on 11 August, take effect 18 August. A next step will cut Monday and Tuesday as working days. Moreover, air force officials said any aircraft taken out of service will not undergo maintenance for now.”

This left the Argentine military with just two types of jet aircraft A-4’s and IA-63’s and both are subsonic, decades old and barely serviceable. Argentina had looked into buying new Gripen’s from Sweden via Brazil but this was vetoed by the United Kingdom which makes a large number of internal components for the aircraft. They had also looked at JF-17’s from China, but the JF-17s proved too expensive to modify.

I M with Argentina, we should respect their decision.
At later stage we could help them for overhauling and sell our Mirages. It will keep our overhaul factory busy for years to come.
We should market our overhaul services for them. :P

Once Argentina was richest country in South American and now is so poor that it selects 20 year old fighters. Nontheless it is their money and their decision.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom