What's new

Arabian/Arab swords and daggers

Moved to next page:

More swords and daggers from various regions of the Arab world.

a5kufd.jpg

c46c7426d061945e6ddfdba0ce9003ad.jpg

2zowwm1.png

picture1.jpg

Saudi Arabian girl ready to make due process, lol:

The sword of King Saud. Given to an Afghan prince (Prince Ahmad Shah Khan of Afghanistan) in 1932 and it was auctioned for 1 million euros 2 years ago in Paris!

Read the history below;

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/lif...lic-Saudi-sword-to-be-auctioned-in-Paris.html

@Saif al-Arab

We don't have a culture of swords sadly. :(

Just some basic swords that rest of Arab world has. Arabian Daggers are awesome though. I will get one day or maybe make collection. Although it will probably freak out people here. :lol:

Are these just for style?

Are you sure brother because I know for a fact that Palestinians like almost all other Arabs were great sword craftsmen and had a war-like culture too. I have seen old photos of Palestine and Palestinians carrying swords and daggers too.

Also Syria is just next by which is famous for their Damascus Steel. Known as the best steel in the world to make swords out from.

Damascus steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also if you take a look at photos/paintings of old Palestine, for instance during the Dabke dance, you can spot Arabian swords and daggers too.

I cannot post more than 8 photos in this post but take a look at this link below.

Dabke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go for it.:)

Yes, they are solely for decoration purposes. People (read mostly grown ups) in Yemen, Oman (not so much anymore) and Southern KSA wear such daggers (Janbiyas). Some of them can cost 1 million US dollars depending on the decoration. Some are decorated with diamonds or made entirely out of gold even. Outside of the blade obviously.

Last edited:
Interesting. How did it end up at the paris auction? Sorry as i am unable to view the article through my mobile device.

Saudi Arabian sword sold in France for one million euros

Tuesday, 19 November 2013 17:33

A sword believed to have been symbolic in the creation of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in 1932 was sold in France for 955,400 euros (almost $1.3 million) at an auction held at the Fontainebleau, 60 kilometres from the capital Paris.

The auction's commissioner Jean Bayer Oosna told Agence France-Presse that the sword was purchased over the phone, and that the buyer did not disclose his name or his nationality.

The initial value of the sword was estimated to be between 800,000 and 1.2 million euros. It sold for 955,400 euros, including all related expenses.

King Abdul Aziz Ibn Saud, the founder of Saudi Arabia, had given the sword to the prince and minister of Afghanistan, Ahmad Shah Khan, with the signing of a friendship agreement between Afghanistan, Najd and Hijaz in Jeddah on 5 May 1932, before the joining of Najd and Hijaz in the new Saudi state in September of that same year.

After that, the prince of Afghanistan's son sold the sword, which ended up with an antique collector.

The framework of the sword is made of pure gold and steel, and the grip is made of ivory.

Saudi sword sold in France for one million euros

Saudi Arabian sword sold in France for one million euros

Tuesday, 19 November 2013 17:33

A sword believed to have been symbolic in the creation of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in 1932 was sold in France for 955,400 euros (almost $1.3 million) at an auction held at the Fontainebleau, 60 kilometres from the capital Paris.

The auction's commissioner Jean Bayer Oosna told Agence France-Presse that the sword was purchased over the phone, and that the buyer did not disclose his name or his nationality.

The initial value of the sword was estimated to be between 800,000 and 1.2 million euros. It sold for 955,400 euros, including all related expenses.

King Abdul Aziz Ibn Saud, the founder of Saudi Arabia, had given the sword to the prince and minister of Afghanistan, Ahmad Shah Khan, with the signing of a friendship agreement between Afghanistan, Najd and Hijaz in Jeddah on 5 May 1932, before the joining of Najd and Hijaz in the new Saudi state in September of that same year.

After that, the prince of Afghanistan's son sold the sword, which ended up with an antique collector.

The framework of the sword is made of pure gold and steel, and the grip is made of ivory.

Saudi sword sold in France for one million euros
Such an important symbol of the birth of the Saudi state, i hope its back in Saudi hands if anything.

Such an important symbol of the birth of the Saudi state, i hope its back in Saudi hands if anything.

No, I don't think that it has any particular importance. Such gifts were and are even given to head of states to this day for various occasions. If it had any real value for KSA it would have been bought by KSA or an investor from KSA.

It's a nice story though and a nice sword. Posted a photo of it among other swords and the story as I thought that it was interesting.

Last edited:
No, I don't think that it has any particular importance. Such gifts were and are even given to head of states to this day for various occasions. If it had any real value for KSA it would have been bought by KSA or an investor from KSA.

It's a nice story though and a nice sword. Posted a photo of it among other swords and the story as I thought that it was interesting.
BTW how heavy are these swords?? They seem like they weigh a lot.

I've heard Arabs along with some other M.E. people would import steel from India to make some of their swords.

I've heard Arabs along with some other M.E. people would import steel from India to make some of their swords.

Steel ingots were imported from India and Sri Lanka (mainly) but the swords were made in the Arab world and the ME.

Damascus steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can take a look at the swords and daggers of this thread and notice that Indian/South Asian are entirely different on average.

Numerous and various traditional swords for sale in KSA:

20s0he.jpg

10rn7d3.jpg

1znvewn.jpg

asf3l.jpg

24dop55.jpg

Prince Charles during a visit to KSA. No comment.

3e1U2KW.jpg

King Salman and the Chinese President Xi Jinping (China is our largest trading partner and an ancient friend/partner of the Arab world).

b6aqtv.jpg

The famous and ancient Ardah sword warrior dance. There are many different styles. In the South daggers are more common. It was performed before battles. Traditionally every single tribe had their own sword dances. Many still perform them during festivals and traditional gatherings.

2V6DDd9.jpg

Unfortuantely I have to say that traditional bladesmithing has seen better days in KSA.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom