What's new

Arabian/Arab swords and daggers

cool nice
here in Tunisia the gov banned owning swords and daggers they classify them as Cold weapon (white arm) after banning tribalism that after the independence and i love it ( the banning )
Carying those are forbidden in many countries, they are still lethal weapons, nothing wrong with the ban.

So handguns, rifles etc. are "retarded" too? What kind of logic is this?

Ancient swords and daggers are part of the Arab culture and 99% of all people nowadays collect them as antiques only or have inherited from long deceased ancestors generations upon generations ago. Only in Yemen and parts of Oman are daggers still worn by ordinary people and that's more to do with tradition. Nobody is using those daggers to kill one another as Yemen is already one of the most armed countries on the planet. It's a nice tradition that sets those countries apart and most importantly it's a very beautiful handcraft.

In many Western countries, including the largest, most populous and most powerful of them all, the US, you can walk with semi-automatic weapons in public as a private citizen (Texas etc.) so let's not compare that with harmless daggers worn due to tradition in a belt.
here in tunisia is banned and by the way i lived and raised ( culture bans the idea of owning a dagger )

There are similar laws in most Arab countries in this regard including KSA. The way such daggers/swords are worn in Yemen and parts of Oman are not how you think they are worn. It's more to do with a tradition than anything else. They serve no purpose as an actual weapon.
here in Tunisia even decorating you house with dagger is banned

113977662.jpg

I have got this rare SOG Specialty Desert Dagger S25 black blade!
I want to sell it but only if someone will give me a great price for it.
I already got an offer of 20k but didi not sell it.
If someone can offer better please contact. 03054630067
My decision to sell it is subject to change.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,.,.

Very beautiful pictures, the Gold ones looks tempting.

it's retarded to have stupid daggers they say prestige i say prestige my *** they are deadly weapons
lol yeah, I would feel intimidated if one of them ever come to me while carrying daggers. :fie:

Cool pictures..

Any opinions on why the design changes from straight blade (I'm guessing they're shorter bladed that the curved ones) and shield to curved swords?

To me that evolution means that, mainly, armor use decreased with time, as those swords would work great against an unarmored opponent or when using them from horseback, to maximize they're cutting power. On the other hand, they would suck against mail or plate, and would have issues with a brigantine..

Btw, same with he daggers..why are they curved?

Unrelated, I've seen some Turkish Yatagans at an exposition last week, nice swords, very different from the Arabian ones. They seem more like made for fighting against mail, as they're short and heavy. Strangely, almost all had minimal hand guards, for whatever reason...

Very beautiful pictures, the Gold ones looks tempting.

lol yeah, I would feel intimidated if one of them ever come to me while carrying daggers. :fie:

There are many more elaborate Arabian swords and daggers out there. Especially those made historically for royalty and nobility.

Nothing to be intimidated about. It is normal for people (adult males) in Yemen, Oman and Southern KSA to wear daggers such as jambiyas.

They are solely worn as decoration although sometimes this can occur.

janbia%20in%20(2).jpg

@Declein

A curved sword such as the Scimitar was used mainly by the cavalry (horse warfare) and were in general more light weight than straight swords that were used historically. It was ideal for slashing opponents while riding on a horse or camel.

Regarding the daggers it depends on the type. Some are straight and others are curved.

Speaking about curved blades in the Arab world this design might interest you.

Khopesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Egyptian Sword - Khopesh

One of the most beautiful swords the human kind could create is the Khopesh (also vocalized khepesh). The cutting edge weapon is the Egyptian name of the Canaanite “sickle-sword”, in Assyrian known as sappara. Its origins can be traced back to Sumer of the third millennium BCE (Before Common Era).

A typical khopesh is 50–60 cm (20 to 24 inches) in length, though smaller examples do also exist. This blade was designed for hooking an opponents shield or disarming them. These weapons changed from bronze to iron in the late period.

The blade is only sharpened on the outside portion of the curved end. The khopesh evolved from the epsilon or similar crescent shaped axes that were used in warfare. But unlike an axe, the khopesh does not make push-cuts, but rather slashes, like a sabre.

The khopesh went out of use around 1300 BCE. However, in the mysterious 196 BC Rosetta Stone it is referenced as the ‘sword’ determinative in a hieroglyphic block, with the spelled letters of kh, p, andsh to say: “Shall be set up a statue…, the Avenger of Baq-t-(Egypt), the interpretation whereof is 'Ptolemy, the strong one of Kam-t’-(Egypt), and a statue of the god of the city, giving to him a sword royal of victory, …”

The Khopesh, and the sappara weapons are still sources of inspiration for designing fantasy weapons in video games or movies. Sappara and Khopesh swords are mainly use to arm the Elven forces, mostly because of their unique and graceful, yet deadly design.

------

I am sure that the Khopesh served as inspiration for many early pre-Islamic Arabian swords and the famed Zulfiqar as Hijaz lies next to Egypt and many mutual influences occurred between those two areas of the world aside from many population movements.

Last edited:

One of the most beautiful swords the human kind could create is the Khopesh (also vocalized khepesh). The cutting edge weapon is the Egyptian name of the Canaanite “sickle-sword”, in Assyrian known as sappara. Its origins can be traced back to Sumer of the third millennium BCE (Before Common Era).

A typical khopesh is 50–60 cm (20 to 24 inches) in length, though smaller examples do also exist. This blade was designed for hooking an opponents shield or disarming them. These weapons changed from bronze to iron in the late period.

The blade is only sharpened on the outside portion of the curved end. The khopesh evolved from the epsilon or similar crescent shaped axes that were used in warfare. But unlike an axe, the khopesh does not make push-cuts, but rather slashes, like a sabre.

The khopesh went out of use around 1300 BCE. However, in the mysterious 196 BC Rosetta Stone it is referenced as the ‘sword’ determinative in a hieroglyphic block, with the spelled letters of kh, p, andsh to say: “Shall be set up a statue…, the Avenger of Baq-t-(Egypt), the interpretation whereof is 'Ptolemy, the strong one of Kam-t’-(Egypt), and a statue of the god of the city, giving to him a sword royal of victory, …”

The Khopesh, and the sappara weapons are still sources of inspiration for designing fantasy weapons in video games or movies. Sappara and Khopesh swords are mainly use to arm the Elven forces, mostly because of their unique and graceful, yet deadly design.
So what is the advantage of this kind of design in combat vs. conventional sword designs?

113977662.jpg

I have got this rare SOG Specialty Desert Dagger S25 black blade!
I want to sell it but only if someone will give me a great price for it.
I already got an offer of 20k but didi not sell it.
If someone can offer better please contact. 03054630067
My decision to sell it is subject to change.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,.,.
Daggers are alright but they're bulky not to mention visible from a distance lol.

I mostly own folders.

Here's some of my folders:

c4e414d27d1f[1].jpg

img-benchmade-mini-griptilian-01[1].jpg

here in Tunisia even decorating you house with dagger is banned
In your house??

So what is the advantage of this kind of design in combat vs. conventional sword designs?

Please read the below.

------

Also be aware that the Khopesh went out of fashion in Egypt and the Arab world (nearby areas of Egypt) around 1300 BC (!).

I posted it just to show a very ancient example of a curved sword/weapon. The Khopesh itself evolved from an battle axe and the Near Eastern bronze age battle axes. The design is spectacular though.

My own theory, as I wrote in post 38 is that the Khopesh served as inspiration for the Zulfiqar sword and its design.

I even think that Al-Kindi and other famous Arab writers wrote about this almost 1200 years ago when he wrote about Arab swords and daggers.

Last edited:
Carying those are forbidden in many countries, they are still lethal weapons, nothing wrong with the ban.
Yes, that is true. These are still weapons and thus should not be carried in public and should only be in responsible hands.

I'm not a dagger guy but just for collectors item i'd like to get my hand on on of these very rare original Waffen SS daggers:

IMG_0831[1].JPG

ss3[1].jpg

@Saif al-Arab I think you'll like this :)
1896OromoCavalrySwordHiggins01.jpg

Shotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia probably designed to reach around shields

On the kopesh:

Beautiful sword, but not very practical outside a specific type of warfare, hence it fell out of use.Note the lack of a handguard, which (probably) means that it was used 99% of the time with a shield.

@Desert Fox As Saif said, curved swords are better at cutting and maximize the striking power while on horseback.The downside is that perform bad against armor, as you can't cut armor. They weren't used in Europe until armor started to fade from the battlefield for this very reason.

Last edited:
@Saif al-Arab I think you'll like this :)
1896OromoCavalrySwordHiggins01.jpg

Shotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia probably designed to reach around shields

On the kopesh:

Beautiful sword, but not very practical outside a specific type of warfare, hence it fell out of use.Note the lack of a handguard, which (probably) means that it was used 99% of the time with a shield.

@Desert Fox As Saif said, curved swords are better at cutting and maximize the striking power while on horseback.The downside is that perform bad against armor, as you can't cut armor. They weren't used in Europe until armor started to fade from the battlefield for this very reason.

Yes, I really like that sword a lot. Very unique but also very old.

Thank you for the video. I will for sure watch it.

@Full Moon @azzo @JUBA

Can you share with us some swords and daggers typical of Najd?

More swords and daggers from various regions of the Arab world.

a5kufd.jpg

c46c7426d061945e6ddfdba0ce9003ad.jpg

2zowwm1.png

picture1.jpg

Saudi Arabian girl ready to make due process, lol:

The sword of King Saud. Given to an Afghan prince (Prince Ahmad Shah Khan of Afghanistan) in 1932 and it was auctioned for 1 million euros 2 years ago in Paris!

Read the history below;

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/lif...lic-Saudi-sword-to-be-auctioned-in-Paris.html

This story might interest you @Desert Fox

@Falcon29 this thread will definitely interest you.

Can you share some Palestinian swords if possible?

@azzo and @Full Moon Najdi ones too.

@SALMAN AL-FARSI Iraqi ones.

Thanks.

Last edited:
@Saif al-Arab

We don't have a culture of swords sadly. :(

Just some basic swords that rest of Arab world has. Arabian Daggers are awesome though. I will get one day or maybe make collection. Although it will probably freak out people here. :lol:

Various Yemeni Janbiyas;

Janbiya by Julian-G. Albert, on Flickr

Are these just for style?

Back
Top Bottom