What's new

Another U.S. Navy destroyer collides with a merchant ship, rescue efforts underway

i wouldn't put it past the americans for writing off these ships so they can spend more money on defence purchases, the only thing that keeps the american economy going

Gosh.. it's an oil tanker. Just get out of its way and file a complaint later.

It's like ..You are on a pedestrian crossing and a truck comes speeding at you. What would you do? Stand your ground because you have the right of way ?
:disagree:

The problem is, this is not a oil tanker, and a destroyer is not a pedestrian. Oil Tanker may have been 50,000 tons, but a destroyer is also close to 10,000 tons. It's not exactly the "Truck vs People" type situation. If we are talking about a sampan or sailboat, then yeah, maybe. But to have a destroyer reverse and change course to dodge a 50,000 tons tanker in a short period of time, that is not something it built to do.

You can only quote right of way rule either the give way ship move or don't move, you cannot have it both way. Either there are no such thing as "Right of Way" or there are, and one of this case is clearly at fault.

Also, in accident investigation, there are something called "Supersede Circumstance" which mean when an accident happens because both sides are faulted, the one that most serious supersede the other. Say for example. I Park in a no Parking Zone. and You were driving down the same road and you were asleep at the wheel, you hit me, even tho if I was parked on no parking zone, common sense would have suggested you falling asleep at your wheel is more important than I park on a no-parking zone. Yes, I may got fine for no parking law, but you are responsible for the accident.

In this case, if Crystal is indeed have no one in the pilot house and everybody is asleep, it's literally the same as you are driving a car, but you are not in the driver seat and is empty, you put it on cruise control so you can sleep. Now, if I blown a give way sign, and you hit me, would you think it was my fault or your fault?

Circumstance is all there are in an accident investigation, it's all that's about. Simply because if everything is normal, then no two car could have hit each other, no two ship could have collide to each other.

What a Joke of a Navy.
Must be infected by Indian Navy self destruction bug.

US Professional Navy in a serious collision every 2 months.
There goes USN reputation of well trained Professional Navy.

One would expect the USN to be able to avoid collisions,
ill intentioned or NOT,
Right of Way or NOT.

SEOUL — A U.S. Navy destroyer has been involved in a collision at sea, with the USS John S. McCain hitting an oil tanker near Singapore early Monday morning. It was not immediately clear whether there were any casualties.

The guided missile destroyer and the Liberian-flagged merchant vessel Alnic MC collided near the Strait of Malacca at 5:24 a.m. local time, the Navy’s 7th Fleet reported. It was on its way to routine port visit in Singapore.

Initial reports indicated that the destroyer sustained damage to its port side at the rear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2f15b2-8602-11e7-9ce7-9e175d8953fa_story.html

Alternative reports:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/20/sea...ith-merchant-ship-near-strait-of-malacca.html
http://www.live5news.com/story/3617...des-with-merchant-ship-near-strait-of-malacca
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...n-collides-with-merchant-ship-in-pacific.html

Update
Five sailors injured, 10 missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with a merchant ship
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2f15b2-8602-11e7-9ce7-9e175d8953fa_story.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/world/asia/uss-john-mccain-collision-merchant-ship.html
I have some dumb questions. How can a ship collide at sea? Don't they have enough visible/sensor information to know the distance. Also why even someone will sail so close. There should be no issue of space at sea.

USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship near Strait of Malacca **UPDATE 10:02 a.m. JST, Aug. 21, 2017
By U.S. 7th Fleet Public Affairs | | August 20, 2017

SOUTH CHINA SEA - The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) was involved in a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore on Aug. 21.

There are currently 10 Sailors missing and five injured.

The collision was reported at 6:24 a.m. Japan Standard Time, while the ship was transiting to a routine port visit in Singapore.

The ship is currently sailing under its own power and heading to port.

Search and rescue efforts are underway in coordination with local authorities. In addition to tug boats out of Singapore, Republic of Singapore Navy Fearless-class patrol ships RSS Gallant (97), RSS Resilience (82), RSN helicopters and Police Coast Guard vessel Basking Shark (55) are currently in the area to render assistance.

MV-22s and SH-60s from USS America are also responding.

Alnic MC is a 600-foot oil and chemical tanker with a gross tonnage of 30,000.

Initial reports indicate John S. McCain sustained damage to her port side aft. The extent of damage and personnel injuries is being determined. The incident will be investigated.

USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship near Strait of Malacca **UPDATE 10:02 a.m. JST, Aug. 21, 2017 > Commander, U.S. 7th Fleet > Display

This collision is the second to involve a ship from the Navy’s 7th Fleet in the Pacific in two months. Seven sailors died in June when the USS Fitzgerald and a container ship hit each other in waters off Japan.

The Fitzgerald’s captain was relieved of command and other sailors punished after the Navy found poor seamanship and flaws in keeping watch contributed to the collision, the Navy announced last week.

An investigation into how and why the Fitzgerald collided with the other ship was not finished, but enough details were known to take those actions,
the Navy said.

The most recent incident happened while the McCain was headed to Singapore for a routine port visit. Initial reports indicate the ship sustained damage to her port side aft but the ship is currently sailing under its own power and heading to port.

The problem is, this is not a oil tanker, and a destroyer is not a pedestrian. Oil Tanker may have been 50,000 tons, but a destroyer is also close to 10,000 tons. It's not exactly the "Truck vs People" type situation. If we are talking about a sampan or sailboat, then yeah, maybe. But to have a destroyer reverse and change course to dodge a 50,000 tons tanker in a short period of time, that is not something it built to do.

You can only quote right of way rule either the give way ship move or don't move, you cannot have it both way. Either there are no such thing as "Right of Way" or there are, and one of this case is clearly at fault.

Also, in accident investigation, there are something called "Supersede Circumstance" which mean when an accident happens because both sides are faulted, the one that most serious supersede the other. Say for example. I Park in a no Parking Zone. and You were driving down the same road and you were asleep at the wheel, you hit me, even tho if I was parked on no parking zone, common sense would have suggested you falling asleep at your wheel is more important than I park on a no-parking zone. Yes, I may got fine for no parking law, but you are responsible for the accident.

In this case, if Crystal is indeed have no one in the pilot house and everybody is asleep, it's literally the same as you are driving a car, but you are not in the driver seat and is empty, you put it on cruise control so you can sleep. Now, if I blown a give way sign, and you hit me, would you think it was my fault or your fault?

Circumstance is all there are in an accident investigation, it's all that's about. Simply because if everything is normal, then no two car could have hit each other, no two ship could have collide to each other.

in case you don't know, he was making a analogy.......

Back
Top Bottom