What's new

Al-Qaeda claims responsibility of Bhutto's assassination

On TV the rioters were chanting anti government sentiments, they were blaming musharraf for her death.

One guy was swearing at musharraf and saying this is the work of "Agency"

On TV the rioters were chanting anti government sentiments, they were blaming musharraf for her death

I personally dont think that President Musharraf or any government official, or agency is behind this cowardly act.

"I'd rather put my eggs in the same basket I'm familiar with, he's prven himself more than any of his rivals. And yes, even if it means waste of money we need to do so to silence international community. This time we'll do things right."

Neo,

I sense that I'm missing something in A.Q.'s announcement yet I have to agree with much said so far.

"First thing first, we need to hold elections...thats our top priority. Musharraf will push for elections, even without his main rival...."

Yes, you do. Musharraf is in the driver's seat- with a reasonable delay to assure that the opposition has time to mobilize a campaign and identify candidates. Invite EVERY INT'L monitoring agency possible, open the press access full-bore and be SCRUPULOUSLY fair about the election's conduct.

If the int'l community concur that the electoral process and mechanisms are fair and impartial, then it's a level playing field. It is an opposition party's responsibility to promote a platform that rises above the charismatic powers of a single candidate. How could they refuse to meet their obligation now by boycotting? Rhetorical I know, but they must participate- and lose.

And they will. The planets have aligned to allow Musharraf an unprecedented opportunity to truly sharpen your nation's focus. It would have been crude of Musharraf to kill Bhutto. Equally, America. Salim is correct that this REALLY does bear the hallmark of A.Q. Their motives are clear and they've a demonstrated propensity.

It's conceivable that Musharraf's electoral victory, affirmed by the int'l community would swing wide the doors of assistance, both generally towards the needs of all citizens and specifically to securing the nation from it's immediate and now, announced, challenge- Al Qa'ida.

Neo, many uninformed posters think that, bluntly, the U.S. Army is soft and sucks. I think that you know better. After the money and gizmos, they are superbly trained and conditioned for combat and have become particularly nuanced in COIN-driven operations, both kinetic and non-kinetic focused.

"he might order more military into FATA, ask US' assistence in combat operations or even host a parliamentary debate regarding full scale military clean up operation in area's affected by AQ's presence."

Earlier, Roadrunner questioned my broad-brush picture of the affected regions in another thread. You may too. But if you suggest "full military clean up operation in area's [sic] affected by AQ's presence", that will likely entail more than just FATA. One has to believe that Chitral, Kashmir, NWFP, N./S. Waziristan and even Baluchistan have been infected.

This will be a long-term effort by your nation if undertaken. The near-term goal is the security of your nation and, in particular, these regions. The long-term goal should entail nothing less than the transformation of Pakistan's social-network infrastructure- secular schools, roads, hydro-power dams, clinics, agriculture reseach and assistance, etc. If pursued in good faith, it's a global aid winner of the first order and will pay back the world and yourselves ten-fold in a productive peace that provides real hope for the future.

Pipe dream, perhaps. But I HATE status-quo solutions when unique windows of opportunity are presented.

Contrary to the belief of some that the AQ is not operating in Pakistan, this proves that it is.
In this sense Al-Qaeeda is also operating in US, Afghanistan, North Africa, east Africa, central Asia whole middleeast but surprisingly not in India.
Can you explain the sympathies of al-Qaeeda towards India???

In this sense Al-Qaeeda is also operating in US, Afghanistan, North Africa, east Africa, central Asia whole middleeast but surprisingly not in India.
Can you explain the sympathies of al-Qaeeda towards India???

It is true that they are operating in many countries.

However, they are most active along the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

India has also been affected by AQ. Apparently, you have not read the newspapers. Notwithstanding, it is not surprising of you to suggest the the AQ has sympathies with India.

Indeed, if the most powerful Islamic organisation, that claims to be Islam's torchbearer and which also finds kind words here, is sympathetic to India, it does put paid to the canard trotted out by you and some posters that Moslems are discriminated in India.

touché!

In reality your post seems to have been prompted by a fertile imagination because there is always the AQ connection with all Islamic fundamentalist groups and terrorists. These organisations are a façade behind the AQ mask.

Where there is fundamentalist organisations, AQ is not far behind.

Mehsud is a Taliban, but he also has links with the AQ.

Rings a bell?

Neo,

I sense that I'm missing something in A.Q.'s announcement yet I have to agree with much said so far.

The assassination is work of AQ, that much is clear and claimed by the terrorists. Benazir was seen as US' most precious asset in the process of restoring democracy in Pakistan, she had to be taken down.

The writing on the wall is a message for both Pakistan and USA.

It will be interesting to see how Washington will deal with the aftermath and how she'll restore confidence in Musharraf who's been so openly criticised and disgraced by US media and Congress.

Yes, you do. Musharraf is in the driver's seat- with a reasonable delay to assure that the opposition has time to mobilize a campaign and identify candidates. Invite EVERY INT'L monitoring agency possible, open the press access full-bore and be SCRUPULOUSLY fair about the election's conduct.

If the int'l community concur that the electoral process and mechanisms are fair and impartial, then it's a level playing field. It is an opposition party's responsibility to promote a platform that rises above the charismatic powers of a single candidate. How could they refuse to meet their obligation now by boycotting? Rhetorical I know, but they must participate- and lose.

And they will. The planets have aligned to allow Musharraf an unprecedented opportunity to truly sharpen your nation's focus. It would have been crude of Musharraf to kill Bhutto. Equally, America. Salim is correct that this REALLY does bear the hallmark of A.Q. Their motives are clear and they've a demonstrated propensity.

It's conceivable that Musharraf's electoral victory, affirmed by the int'l community would swing wide the doors of assistance, both generally towards the needs of all citizens and specifically to securing the nation from it's immediate and now, announced, challenge- Al Qa'ida.

Indeed, planets are aligned well for Musharraf, infact he has already won. We don't need a PR show, some observors will be invited and others allowed to monitor the elections.
Comonwealth's request to allow a delegation was declined the day prior to the assassination for the obvious reasons.

On the sidenote, with BB out of the race Mush is now US' only bet, this time a make or break approach is needed to restore mutual trust between Washington and Islamabad.
Once bitten, twice shy ;)

Neo, many uninformed posters think that, bluntly, the U.S. Army is soft and sucks. I think that you know better. After the money and gizmos, they are superbly trained and conditioned for combat and have become particularly nuanced in COIN-driven operations, both kinetic and non-kinetic focused.

I sincerely blame your media for this image, not the ununiformed posters. We too had to take a lot of critic for our operation in Sawat.
We both know what US Army and PA is made off, we've trained a lot together, worked together and learned a lot from eachother.

I still have memories of Mogadishu where Pakbat came to rescure your trapped soldiers.

Earlier, Roadrunner questioned my broad-brush picture of the affected regions in another thread. You may too. But if you suggest "full military clean up operation in area's [sic] affected by AQ's presence", that will likely entail more than just FATA. One has to believe that Chitral, Kashmir, NWFP, N./S. Waziristan and even Baluchistan have been infected.

This will be a long-term effort by your nation if undertaken. The near-term goal is the security of your nation and, in particular, these regions. The long-term goal should entail nothing less than the transformation of Pakistan's social-network infrastructure- secular schools, roads, hydro-power dams, clinics, agriculture reseach and assistance, etc. If pursued in good faith, it's a global aid winner of the first order and will pay back the world and yourselves ten-fold in a productive peace that provides real hope for the future.

I agree on all accounts. AQ's stronghold is mainly in FATA and Northern Area's, small cells remain in Balochistan and other parts of the country.

The regions I mentioned offer advantages to AQ Balochistan or other parts don't have; I'm not sure if you're familiar with the demographic structure of Northern Territories, its very diverse. Tajiks, Uzbeks or even Chechens can mix up easily with people from Kailash or Hunza Valley, the area is porous and virtually cut off from the rest of the world.

Pipe dream, perhaps. But I HATE status-quo solutions when unique windows of opportunity are presented.

Not a pipe dream but a vision many share with you including Musharraf and myself. :smokin:

Well, just to set the record straight. I questioned what Waziristan or the other areas had to do with Bhutto's assasination when suicide bombings are pretty common a method for assasinating political figures in South Asia, be they India, Bangladesh or wherever.

As for Al Q's strongholds (a very simplistic notion), I would say there's no strongholds in Pakistan, just pockets of them around, as with a lot of other countries. However, Pakistan does have the Pakistani Taliban, which is a regional player in the politics of Afghanistan, they appear to have a common goal, separate from those of the Americans and the Pakistani government. But Al Q strongholds in Chitral or NWFP, not a chance.

Oh for the days of a national unity government. If the PPP stand aside after Musharraf goes ahead with the elections at the earliest possible opportunity they will look weak in the eyes of their people. Either way, as Neo says, elections followed by strikes against FATA will receive strong support, not just from America.

I heard Imran Khan, the cricketer and politician.

He said there should be a consensus govt.

He also stated the Musharraf must immediately resign.

Given the threat to the lives of politicians, he said there would be hardly anyone who will hold rallies to canvass for votes and thus the election would not be free and fair.

It is good to say that elections be held as per schedule, but if you were a politician in such unruly circumstances, would you like to hold any rallies and give an election speech?

There has been bomb blast in SWAT and other places and things are still not under control.

Well, just to set the record straight. I questioned what Waziristan or the other areas had to do with Bhutto's assasination when suicide bombings are pretty common a method for assasinating political figures in South Asia, be they India, Bangladesh or wherever.

As for Al Q's strongholds (a very simplistic notion), I would say there's no strongholds in Pakistan, just pockets of them around, as with a lot of other countries. However, Pakistan does have the Pakistani Taliban, which is a regional player in the politics of Afghanistan, they appear to have a common goal, separate from those of the Americans and the Pakistani government. But Al Q strongholds in Chitral or NWFP, not a chance.

Suicide bombing is not common place methods to kill politicians in India. Rajiv Gandhi was the sole victim to such a suicide bomber and he was a Sri Lankan Tamil bomber.

I have not heard of suicide bombers bombing Bangladesh politicians. Correct me if I am wrong.

As far as other countries are concerned, the AQ operates behind a mask. Along the Durand Line, they operate under their own flag or so the media reports.

As far as S2's comments are concerned, there is some merit that the terrorists elsewhere (as reported by the media and what one has heard about), it requires a spring cleaning too!

Whatever be the suicide bomber's (BB assassination) organisation organisation, he has done great harm to Pakistan politics and has ruined the oncoming elections.

Suicide bombing is not common place methods to kill politicians in India. Rajiv Gandhi was the sole victim to such a suicide bomber and he was a Sri Lankan Tamil bomber.

Is Sri Lanka not part of South Asia now, or only when it suits you?

He was a Hindu suicide bomber who assasinated a Hindu leader of South Asia, the parrallels can be drawn.

I have not heard of suicide bombers bombing Bangladesh politicians. Correct me if I am wrong.

I was thinking of the Sheikh Hasina attacks.

As far as other countries are concerned, the AQ operates behind a mask. Along the Durand Line, they operate under their own flag or so the media reports.

Please Salim :cheesy: There is no flag that a covert terrorist organization would plant in the ground to give themselves a base be it along the Durand Line or anywhere. They would have been flattened if not by the Pak forces, by the B52s on sight. They rely on stealth, not on bases or "strongholds".

As far as S2's comments are concerned, there is some merit that the terrorist elsewhere (as reported by the media and what one has heard about), it requires a spring cleaning too!

Whatever be the suicide bomber's (BB assassination) organisation organisation, he has done great harm to Pakistan politics and has ruined the oncoming elections.

I agree the elections have been ruined. But Bhutto was not deserving for a third opportunity in power (not to say she deserved a fate as this). Someone new, someone fresh should form the coalition with Musharraf. The best possible scenario would be like this. Musharraf should hold the majority vote, as I think he would (despite what I seem to be reading in some media outlets that PPP would have won).

I will have to nitpick again. Rajiv's killer was a Srilankan LTTE woman.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom