What's new

Al-Khalid tank (Type 90-IIM / MBT-2000) Information Pool

Daksg Nakra, Kuala Lumpur - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
22 April 2014

Officials from Pakistan's Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) disclosed new information about the greatly anticipated Al Khalid-Improved (I) main battle tank (MBT) during the recent DSA 2014 exhibition held in Kuala Lumpur.

Brigadier Ghulam Murtaza Qureshi (rtd), HIT's director of budget, marketing and procurement, told IHS Jane's that the development is being fast-tracked and the company plans to showcase the tank during the International Defence Exhibition and Seminar 2014 (IDEAS 2014) in Islamabad in December.

The development of the new MBT began earlier in the decade and Qureshi said it is around 50% complete. Some reports suggested it was being co-developed with China's NORINCO and was a version of China's MBT-3000.

(110 of 435 words)

HIT reveals new information on Al Khalid-I MBT - IHS Jane's 360

Complete article

HIT reveals new information on Al Khalid-I MBT

Author:Daksg Nakra, Kuala Lumpur
Last posted:2014-04-23

Officials from Pakistan's Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) disclosed new information about the greatly anticipated Al Khalid-Improved (I) main battle tank (MBT) during the recent DSA 2014 exhibition held in Kuala Lumpur.

Brigadier Ghulam Murtaza Qureshi (rtd), HIT's director of budget, marketing and procurement, stated that the development is being fast-tracked and the company plans to showcase the tank during the International Defence Exhibition and Seminar 2014 (IDEAS 2014) in Islamabad in December.

The development of the new MBT began earlier in the decade and Qureshi said it is around 50% complete. Some reports suggested it was being co-developed with China's NORINCO and was a version of China's MBT-3000.

Qureshi claimed this was incorrect and that the Al Khalid-I is an indigenous development of Pakistan's mainstay tank, the Al Khalid, which was jointly developed in the early 1990s with NORINCO (known in China as the MBT-2000) and commissioned in 2001.

The Pakistan Army's Armoured Corps operates about 420 Al Khalid MBTs, along with Al Zarrar (Type 59/59M), Type 69, Type 85 IIAP and T-80UD tanks. The Al Khalid-I will replace approximately 300 Type 85s and 320 T-80s, which are known to operate in semi-desert and desert areas of the country.

The existing Al Khalid is powered by a Ukrainian 6TD-2 power pack developing a maximum power of 1,200 bhp. It also features integrated battle management, auto transmission control, muzzle reference and active threat protection systems.

Qureshi added that the design concept of the Al Khalid-I is primarily based on further refining and improving mobility, firepower and protection. Initially, the design featured around 10 major changes over the Al Khalid hull, but due to rising costs and budgetary constraints, this has been reduced to six.

These include a new 1,500 bhp power pack to improve its power-to-weight ratio and a digital driver manual. The HIT official confirmed that it would retain the 125 mm smoothbore barrel. As of April 2014, trials are under way to finalise the new power pack. These details concur with comments at IDEAS 2012 by a senior official at Pakistan's Ministry of Defence Procurement who told said that an improved version would feature a more powerful diesel power pack, improved command and control and better night-fighting capabilities.

HIT plans to complete trials of the Al Khalid-I with the Pakistani Army by the first quarter of 2015 and based on results, it is hoping to achieve low rate initial production by June 2015. HIT currently has the capability to roll out 20-40 Al Khalid MBTs a year, suggesting it will look to achieve a similar production schedule for the improved version.

JDW

HIT is developing an RCWS according to MoD Year-book 2012-13

@DESERT FIGHTER @Dazzler

I remember reading somewhere that a 3rd Generation Thermal Imager is also underdevelopment. any details about that ???

it is being imported from france for Alkhalid-1, Sagem Matis thermal imager

*We already have developed our own RCWS in 2011 by AARDIC which comes under HIT.(Google Mohafiz III and it is mounted on top of that)

RCWS of types for mbts and for apcs

Idhar batao na bhai !!!

Pretty please.

puss_in_boots_big_eyes_antonio_banderas_shrek_01.jpg
[/quote]

Major Points from the Janes Source

Upgraded variant of Al khalid Tank

*420 Al khalid in service instead of earlier believed 300
*New variant to be made public in Ideas def expo this dec
*more than 50% development done.
*Will undergo Production onwards june 2015
*1500hp engine
*Digital Driver manual
*improved command and control and better night-fighting capabilities.
*Further improvement of Firepower and Protection
*20-40 Upgraded variant of AK will be produced onwards the start of mass production

So the total run for Al-Khalid(and upgrades) might reach 450-500 total. After which we will start with Al-Khalid I.

So the total run for Al-Khalid(and upgrades) might reach 450-500 total.

Production of Al khalid Started in Nov 2001.If we consider 420 Till Dec 2013.or Almost 11years.

420/11Years=on average 38 Al khalid Per year

Addition of 2014 and 2015 will take the total tally to 500 Basic Al khalid.

The Article also Mention 300 Upgraded Al khalid to replace type 59.At Similar rate it will take 8years to produce 300 Upgraded Al khalid.

So it would be safe to Assume that by 2022-23 we will have 800 Al khalid in service(Basic might also be upgraded to the Current Upgrade level)

@farhan_9909 when I said al-Khalid I meant the basic and upgraded ones, al-Khalid 1 is almost a new tank, so I excluded it.
Btw prior al Khalid 1 there was another comparatively minor upgrade that included slightly higher firing rate and additional ammo capacity. @Dazzler may be able to throw some light on it.

@farhan_9909 when I said al-Khalid I meant the basic and upgraded ones, al-Khalid 1 is almost a new tank, so I excluded it.
Btw prior al Khalid 1 there was another comparatively minor upgrade that included slightly higher firing rate and additional ammo capacity. @Dazzler may be able to throw some light on it.

I know,you must be talking about the Upgrade which most important external difference was Thickened side skirts.I believe in 2010 first mass produced of that upgrade was also revealed

I know,you must be talking about the Upgrade which most important external difference was Thickened side skirts.I believe in 2010 first mass produced of that upgrade was also revealed

The word was that all basic Al Khalids would be upgraded to that standard, don't know if it happened or not.

The word was that all basic Al Khalids would be upgraded to that standard, don't know if it happened or not.

The only Mass produced Al khalid I or that upgraded Al khalid we have seen is when the General Visited HIT in feb 2010.None since than.

Any Chances of KSA starting up local production of Al-Khalid or any other tanks from China, Russia or even M1A3 Tanks locally.

this tank of pakistan army can give tough time to modern NATO and USA tanks .... Its such an amazing ride for our CAVALRY Men designed by Heavy industries Taxila.

Back
Top Bottom