What's new

Al-Khalid tank (Type 90-IIM / MBT-2000) Information Pool

Norinco Type-II M APFSDS RHA penetration @ the typical target under the fire range condition---RHA, 220mm thickness , angle of inclination: 60-70, and in this case, the angle is the 68 deg, no much difference with "international standard..

NOTE: this is a tungsten round, not a DU round

QQ%25E6%2588%25AA%25E5%259B%25BE20130504104608.jpg

Tungsten Alloy Penetrators in Al-Khalid Main Battle Tank
Print Email DETAILS CATEGORY: TUNGSTEN INFORMATION PUBLISHED ON 24 MAY 2013 WRITTEN BY ZLB HITS: 38
The predecessor of Al-Khalid main battle tank (MBT) is 90-II which is developed in China. Al-Khalid MBT is equipped by composite armor and rolling homogenous armor. The tank can perform night operation which is also equipped by thermal imaging system. The main weapon of Al-Khalid MBT is a 125mm caliber smoothbore gun which carrying 39 ammunitions. The smoothbore gun can launch depleted uranium (DU) ammunition, tungsten alloy penetrators, kinetic energy cartridge and high explosive grenade. Otherwise, there are 12.7mm caliber machine gun and 7.62mm caliber machine gun in the tank.

In recent years, Pakistan Army is modernizing Al-Khalid MBT. They attempt to modernize the tank to the most advanced tank in the world. Al-Khalid MBT is called as Super Al-Khalid MBT after modernization, which is equipped by integrated battle management system (IBMS) and active protection system. For the new design of structure, the armor of new tank can endure the strike from all of 120~125mm caliber anti-tank shells who are on service at present. What’s more, the fire control is more advanced, and the firing rate of main artillery has been improved by 9 shells per minute. Meanwhile, Super Al-Khalid MBT is also equipped by Sagem the third generation thermography made in France, laser sight, anti-tank missile tracking system and Valta electro-optical countermeasures device made in Ukraine

Tungsten Alloy Penetrators in Al-Khalid Main Battle Tank

Type-IIM penetation is approximately 650mm @ 2000 meter... considering the sub continent scenario, this is a pretty lethal value!

wTrRwbM.jpg

550 mm rather. You have overestimated it by a long way. Doubling the penetration path for 60 degrees gives 90 degree values while 66-68 degrees needs a multiplication by 2.5.

Not much more than the 3VBM13, still not enough for the subcontinent scenario. Arjun has a ~735 mm thick armour cavity on the hull itself perhaps 700 mm protection against KE. NERA is on the way, T-90 has a ~650-700 mm thick armour cavity on the hull with 4S23 or 4S24 modules with combined protection equal to or better than 750 mm.

Lot to do for the Chinese.

Congratulations on the completed development of the "Super Al-Khalid" :tup:

@farhan_9909 @Dazzler, I don't have time to check out Pak armour advances because I rarely visit here, can you send periodic e-mails to

keshavmurali98@yahoo.co.in

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
550 mm rather. You have overestimated it by a long way. Doubling the penetration path for 60 degrees gives 90 degree values while 66-68 degrees needs a multiplication by 2.5.

Not much more than the 3VBM13, still not enough for the subcontinent scenario. Arjun has a ~735 mm thick armour cavity on the hull itself perhaps 700 mm protection against KE. NERA is on the way, T-90 has a ~650-700 mm thick armour cavity on the hull with 4S23 or 4S24 modules with combined protection equal to or better than 750 mm.

Lot to do for the Chinese.

Congratulations on the completed development of the "Super Al-Khalid" :tup:

@farhan_9909 @Dazzler, I don't have time to check out Pak armour advances because I rarely visit here, can you send periodic e-mails to

keshavmurali98@yahoo.co.in

Thanks

spread so much misinformation that it is taken as a fact. hmmm

3VBM13 has a certified penetration @ 60 deg @ 2000 no more than 250 mm, @ 0 deg, its 500 mm, not to mention it is outdated. With such value, even Al-Zarrar composite armour cant be penetrated maybe Type-59 or 69.

Good luck to IA if they use it still.

Type II basic has 520-550 mm @ 60 deg @ 2000

Type-IIM brochure translates penetration between 620-650 mm (Militarysta @ *** confirmed this value too)

More on Russian rounds and penetration values..

125MM APFSDS ROUNDS

Last edited by a moderator:
spread so much misinformation that it is taken as a fact. hmmm

3VBM13 has a certified penetration @ 60 deg @ 2000 no more than 250 mm, @ 0 deg, its 500 mm, not to mention it is outdated. With such value, even Al-Zarrar composite armour cant be penetrated maybe Type-59 or 69.

Good luck to IA if they use it still.

Type II basic has 520-550 mm @ 60 deg @ 2000

Type-IIM brochure translates penetration between 620-650 mm (Militarysta @ *** confirmed this value too)

More on Russian rounds and penetration values..

125MM APFSDS ROUNDS

Methos said:
220 mm at 66° equals 540.8 mm line-of-sight. 220 mm at 60° equals 440 mm line-of-sight.

Methos is better on ammunition and he has explicitly stated that Type-IIM has a penetration value of 550 mm. And militarysta agreed.

60 degrees means doubling the value. How can an increase of just 6.4 degrees make such a drastic difference i.e. 220 mm to 650 mm? 550 is more logical anyway.

Militarysta stated that the newer Chinese ammunition, which is not necessarily Type-IIM, might have a penetration in excess of 620 mm.

People like him were claiming 3BM44M has a penetration in excess of 700 mm. And when more information came along with images, and Fofanov's data, they quietly reverted to 650 mm.

And IA doesn't use 3VBM13. Russia does :lol:

And 500 mm penetration is not something to laugh about, if it connects on the side turret or hull (quite easy to do) any tank goes bust.

Who is spreading misinformation here? You, or me?

Methos is better on ammunition and he has explicitly stated that Type-IIM has a penetration value of 550 mm. And militarysta agreed.

60 degrees means doubling the value. How can an increase of just 6.4 degrees make such a drastic difference i.e. 220 mm to 650 mm? 550 is more logical anyway.

Militarysta stated that the newer Chinese ammunition, which is not necessarily Type-IIM, might have a penetration in excess of 620 mm.

People like him were claiming 3BM44M has a penetration in excess of 700 mm. And when more information came along with images, and Fofanov's data, they quietly reverted to 650 mm.

And IA doesn't use 3VBM13. Russia does :lol:

And 500 mm penetration is not something to laugh about, if it connects on the side turret or hull (quite easy to do) any tank goes bust.

Who is spreading misinformation here? You, or me?

IA uses old version of Mango and Israeli CL II series as main APFSDS, i clearly said IF they use 3bm13. :)

Janes has given penetration value for Type-IIM as more than 600mm

as per Janes, this is Type-I and II, not Type-IIM...

NORINCO 125 mm APFSDS-T rounds are separate loading munitions. They are loaded into the breech
surrounded, behind the sabot assembly, by an integral combustible propellant charge in a combustible
case and followed by a semi-combustible propellant case.
On both the 125-I and 125-II, a light alloy sabot assembly consists of a three-segment sabot and the
monobloc tungsten alloy penetrator rod forming the projectile. The penetrator rod and the sabot are
interfaced by a series of mating buttresses and the sabot is encircled by a plastic slipping obturator ring.
The 125-I penetrator rod has a diameter of 28 mm, is 554 mm long (length-to-diameter ratio
approximately 19.8:1) and weighs 4.03 kg. The penetrator rod has a light alloy windshield over the nose
and a light alloy six-finned fin assembly at the rear. It is assumed that the fin assembly contains a tracer
element. The 125-II projectile assembly weighs 7.44 kg, with the penetrator rod being 26 mm in
diameter.
The two-component propellant system is carried over from the design of the RFAS 125 mm
APFSDS-T. Both components are encased in what is described as a flammable nitrocellulose paper tube
impregnated with TNT which is totally consumed on firing. A steel stub case, weighing 3.4 kg and
containing the electrical primer, remains to be ejected after firing. The case is 140 mm long and has a
flange diameter of 171.9 mm.
Muzzle velocity of the 125-I is 1,730 m/s. Armour penetration against vertical armour at 2,000 m is
460 mm and direct fire range is more than 2,100 m. It has been stated that the projectile can penetrate
220 mm of homogeneous armour set at an angle of 61.5º at a range of 2,000 m, with `good after effects'.
At a range of 1,000 m dispersion is of the order of 300 × 300 mm.
Muzzle velocity for the 125-II is 1,740 m/s. Armour penetration at 2,000 m is 600 mm.

Specifications
Weights:
projectile with propellant charge - 23 kg
projectile with sabot, 125-I - 7.37 kg
projectile with sabot, 125-II - 7.44 kg
projectile, 125-I - 4.03 kg
stub case - 3.4 kg
Lengths:
projectile with propellant charge - 672 mm
basic propellant assembly - 407 mm
projectile - 554 mm
Diameter of projectile:
125-I - 28 mm
125-II - 26 mm
Muzzle velocity:
125-I - 1,730 m/s
125-II -1,740 m/s
Operational temperature: -40 to +50ºC

Have HIT been able to produce:
500 Al-Khalid
700 Al-Khalid-I
and what is the status of production of Al-Khalid-IIs as there are nothing available about it.

Also is HIT looking in to doing JV with Ukraine/Serbia/China for APC wheeled and tracked. Also HMC and POF looking in to produce Guns and rounds of good quality?

Back
Top Bottom