What's new

Al-Khalid 2

M1A1 has been offered to PA long time ago,when US sent few tanks. But it was failed the test. Because major tank deployment is along Pak-Indian border, where huge marshy and narrow muddy area,this tank is extremely heavy and not agile on snake type routes. Only light tank is the name of the game. Plus this area is most heavily mined area. Where very few chance of tank survival from both side.

Pakistan's Al Khalid Tank Gets Updated

by B.Khan, b.khan@grandestrategy.com & M.Hussain, m.hussain@grandestrategy.com

Pakistan's Al Khalid Tank, widely considered one of the most competent Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) in the global arms market, has received an update, according to GrandeStrategy sources. This new version of Al-Khalid is said to be ready for production, although orders are yet to be placed for production to begin. The Al Khalid II is said to have a new armor that has been tested to defeat all known 120mm and 125mm rounds. This "special" armor is a major technological breakthrough for Pakistan. The tank has received a new transmission and revised electronic turret control.

The Al Khalid II has a new Integrated Battle Management System (IBMS) and active threat-protection system, the latter being an upgrade from the passive system in the earlier model. The tank is now perhaps the most heavily weaponized per tonnage of any tank, being able to carry 49 125mm rounds, 1,500 12.7mm and 7,100 7.62mm rounds.

Rumors suggest that Saudi Arabia is ready to procure the Al Khalid II but not going through with the deal because of differences with the political administration in Pakistan. Rumors also indicate that these relate to the kickbacks demanded by Pakistan's infamously corrupt President Asif Zardari, nicknamed "Mr.10%".

Pakistan's Al Khalid Tank Gets Updated

by B.Khan, b.khan@grandestrategy.com & M.Hussain, m.hussain@grandestrategy.com

Pakistan's Al Khalid Tank, widely considered one of the most competent Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) in the global arms market, has received an update, according to GrandeStrategy sources. This new version of Al-Khalid is said to be ready for production, although orders are yet to be placed for production to begin. The Al Khalid II is said to have a new armor that has been tested to defeat all known 120mm and 125mm rounds. This "special" armor is a major technological breakthrough for Pakistan. The tank has received a new transmission and revised electronic turret control.

The Al Khalid II has a new Integrated Battle Management System (IBMS) and active threat-protection system, the latter being an upgrade from the passive system in the earlier model. The tank is now perhaps the most heavily weaponized per tonnage of any tank, being able to carry 49 125mm rounds, 1,500 12.7mm and 7,100 7.62mm rounds.

Rumors suggest that Saudi Arabia is ready to procure the Al Khalid II but not going through with the deal because of differences with the political administration in Pakistan. Rumors also indicate that these relate to the kickbacks demanded by Pakistan's infamously corrupt President Asif Zardari, nicknamed "Mr.10%".

I,m just curious, how does the bribe end up in Mr. Ten Percent's pocket? I mean what is the process?

trust me bro, he has hundreds of means to collect bribe :)

I believe Pakistan was offered Abrams. Pakistan declined because it was way too heavy and would sink into the ground.

yes in the 80s, it was early M1 but had alot of issues in Thar region, engine failure, reduced accuracy and what not. Thar has very fine dust particles that troubled A1's filter system. Those trials were the reason Pak went for an indigenous mbt by rectifying all issues.

I hope AK-2 goes into production soon and perhaps we can export it to get some funds of our own.
It's a shame Saudi Arabia is not willing to buy these tanks from us.
Our own administration at fault here? Or pressure from the U.S. or another big player to rather go for another tank.

is the chinese Type 99A2 = to or similar to the AK2?

there are reports that Al-Khalid-II is near completion but right now PAk Army is suffering from fund shortage and inducting the Al-Khalid I in small baches of 50/year

funds is one reason, the other is capacity of HIT.

AK-2 is in the category of medium weight tank as far as i know. In between 50-55 ton range, having an upgrade of major systems from ballistic computer to fire control system, automation is higher than that of AK-1, so much so that most of the tank functions are computer controlled. In terms of Thermal imager/ night fighting performance, AKs have a upper hand on Type 99 series, even the Type 99G uses a mechanical Thermal Imager, maybe upgraded to automatic scanning TI in 99A2 series but i doubt it is at the level of Matis 3rd gen or Catherine 2nd gen TI as of now. The only area where AK-1 is inferior is the engine power and heavy armor but AK-1 is a lighter tank anyway (compared to Type 99s). AK-2 will be a totally revamped version from armor, engine, APS, fire power, indigenous autoloader unlike previous version in AKs, giving a better loading time, environmental control, BMS 2 or maybe 3 as 2 is already in AK-1, also new ammo is being made at HIT including new long rod penetrators, Naiza 2 likely. It will be a game changer in the sub continent armor domain IF Arjun Mk2 is not fielded by 2015.

More than 2000 Al-Khalid 2 will b produced at HIT!!!

perhaps you meant to say Al khalid-I that is slightly upgraded from normal Al Khalid in service. it have a better Armour and carries more weapon etc. the details have been thoroughly discussed so i need not post them again.

i doubt that you really meant to say AK-II that is still in development. and will be a further up gradation of Ak-I.

Al khalid - II > Al khalid - I > Al Khalid

All versions of AK, including AK, AK-1 and eventually AK-2 might total around 2000, not just AK-2. Cost is a reason here.

Back
Top Bottom