What's new

Al-Khalid 2

Kaiser

Reaction score
I reckon that the Following from the previous forum, I believe that the Al'Khalid Mk.2 should be a step up from the basic model today rather than a new design & have the following features:

- extra frontal armour (similar to China's Type 98 tank)
- further plating in front of the driver's compartment
- Uprated engine (1,500 hp) with longer lifespan to increase mobility
- 2 x 7.62mm PK-type machine guns, 1 x 12.7mm gun
- newly designed autoloader & higher rate of fire (with a nitrogin cooled barrel sytem)
- New avionics included to allow engagement of low-flying helicopters at extended ranges (Merkava Mk.4 will have a similar feature)
- Larger turrent with extra ERA added, faster moving turret
- Ability to use mounted ATGW between re-loads (that isat least several ATGW mounted for launch)
- Comprehensive NBC (Nuclear Biological Chemical) kit
- More comprehensive 'swimming' kit
- Enhanced features for crew survivability in case of imobilisation
- Night-time fighting capacity (with starlight)
- Visual googles to scan 10 x further than the naked eye

:PakistanFlag:

Ukraine to upgrade Al-Khaled

BY FARRUKH KHAN PITAFI
LAHORE - Pakistan is set to receive operational upgrades from Ukraine for its battle tanks mainly Al-Khaled better known internationally as UBT 2000, The Nation learnt on Wednesday. The range of upgrades may include engines, transmissions, weapons and optical devices for repairing various surveillance capacities. Interestingly most of the defence arrangements with Kiev were reached before the rise of President Viktor Yushchenko to power who has evidently decided to respect these agreements.
The defence production related cooperation among Pakistan, Ukraine, China and Turkey is rapidly growing into a strategic partnership. The sources tip Russia to be the fifth contributor to the partnership albeit tacitly as India’s insistence on denying all possible weaponry to Islamabad bars it from getting involved in a direct relationship.
Not only Pakistan has acquired some 320 Ukrainian T-80UD tanks but also the reconnaissance missions of Ukraine have been conducted by Pakistani arms dealers and senior military leaders albeit a bit secretively. Two recent examples include the visit by Zakir Jaffer, Head of Ahmed Jaffer and Company Ltd and former Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Aziz. Sources have also revealed that the relationship may expand to include the joint production of APCs guided munitions and air-to-air missiles.
In a recent statement aired by a private Ukrainian channel Henadiy Hrytsenko, Head of Malyshev Plant in Kharkov Ukraine which already has provided the country with T-80Uds in the past, announced that his plant was ready to provide Pakistan all necessary equipments and facilities that are required for the upgrade of the project. The initial supply may include some 285 motor transmission compartments. Similarly the Fotopribor Plant intends to supply Pakistan with optical devices that may enhance the surveillance capacity of its tanks. Some other independent fields of cooperation between the two countries may include avionics, air-to-air missiles and other air defence systems.
Interestingly since most of the talk concerning with the joint production is related to the transfer of technology it may finally lead Pakistan to independent defence production culminating into an Original Equipment Manufacturing (OEM). Pakistan is also engaged in acquiring other sophisticated facilities from countries like Turkey and is mulling over more French and Swedish technology. Defence experts believe it is a proof that Pakistan’s friends and allies are ensuring that the country is not left alone in the field of defence and that the balance of power is being maintained in the region.

Source

Probably, they been using inferrior T-90s, but when they got funds from India for T-90 order they backed out..

Lets see what Arjun has to say about this lol

Our Al-Khalids right now are pretty good and can take on almost any tank in the Indian inventory.

However, i think avionics of Al-Khalid will surely be updated. I have heard news about we getting American M1 or M2 avionics in Al-Khalid but there had been no further news about it. I still hope it was true, but still our current avioinics is much better than all the tanks in Indian inventory except for T-90, but may be Al-Khalid avionics is much better than that. Arjun can you please tell us what avionics does T-90 of India has. Is it Russian or is it bought from western country, like Germany or so?

Back to the topic, We also need to focus on FCs and some additional upgrades like addons of laser technology, i know Al-Khalid is capable of firing missiles that are related to Laser technology, i have read it on an article but well can't remember anymore. Also Al-Khalid has a pretty good power in its engine that is like 1200hp, that is very good for small tanks like Al-Khalid, but there is a chance we might get 1400hp engine. And one more thing that is in question will Ukraine be providing us with 140mm gun, i doubt they will pass that high tech, but it is possible that they will be offering 120mm gun with bustle autoloader, or if not autloader capabilty is already in 125mm gun which can also fire missiles!

We also need to think about this that why are we getting Al-Khalid 2 when Al-Khalid can perform very good and already is the front line tank in PA's inventory? Maybe Al-Khalid is not yet developing and still on paper?

Originally posted by Ahsan Farooqui@Oct 22 2005, 09:19 PM
Arjun can you please tell us what avionics does T-90 of India has. Is it Russian or is it bought from western country, like Germany or so?

Indian tanks have no aveonics since they are not going to fly !!! :LOLANI:

What do you mean??? electronics , active defences , pls clarify !! :rolleyes:

And also pls post details of such goodies of AlKhalid , T80, etc if you want to compare with their Indian counterpart . Personally I do not have very high opinion of AK. I think Pakistan must go for more T80 instead !!

Both T80 and AK beong to the same class of medium tanks and no nation maintains two modern tanks of same calss !!
Pakistan is getting both T80 and AK !! Its very confusing, rather Pakistan must switch to any one which is better !!! :blink:
Maintaining two simiar types of tanks is aso a logistical nightmare . :sick:
According to some AK is suited for desert wrfare !! I want to mention that who is going to fight in flat plains of Punab and Sindh ?? Seperate tanks for seperate terrain is not at all feasible .
I personally think that T80 is the more advanced one and kept seperately for high end missions whereas AK is for regular, defensive and support mission !! Pls correct me if I'am wrong !!!!! :frusty:

Ahsan I dont know what you mean by saying that the al-khalid cant take out the t-90.The al-khalid can easily take out the t-90.Its no doubtly one of the best tanks in the world.It has some technology that the american tanks wish to have.And Arjun the Al-Khalid is way ahead of the t-80 in almost every aspects.By avionics I think he mean firecontrol system and advanced electronics.

Here is some basic information.

The design is an upgrade from the original T902M and work had been going on at China's NORINCO for some years.

The Al Khalid is fitted with a smooth bore gun of 125mm which can also fire missiles.

The engine of the T90 2M is replaced by the Ukrainian 6TD 1200hp engine, and a newly developed thermal viewer system has been added to improve nocturnal fighting capability. US$20 million were reportedly spent on the indigenous development of the Al-Khalid tanks over a period of eight years.

Pakistan's Army reportedly hopes to produce a total of 300 more tanks by 2005. According to a 2001 report, Pakistan planned to add another 300 indigenous Al-Khalid tanks to its armoured corps by 2007.

The Al-Khalid MBT has a combat weight of 46 tons and carries a crew of three. It had a combat range of 400Km and is fitted with thermal night-vision devices. It is powered by a 1200 HP water-cooled diesel engine and has a maximum speed of 65-70Km/hr with an acceleration of 0-32Km/hr in 10 seconds. It's armor is made of composite material as well as explosive reactive armor.

According to: Global Security

i have heared that arjun has good fire power but will be inducted in small numbers , fight be tankx or karan will go to higher production

Originally posted by Kaiser@Oct 24 2005, 05:46 PM
Webby I think thats soem wrong info.I heard that pakistan is looking for a tatal of 1500 al-zarrars,1000 al-khalids,800 t-80's.
[post=1216]Quoted post[/post]​
LOL!!!!! HELL NO!

The Pak Army has 320 T-80UDs, ordered 320 Al Khalids (has like 100 of em I think), and ordered 300 Al Zarrars (has 100 of them now). The Al Khalid-2 will be the mainstay of the armour forces from 2010.

But it may be ordering more.I mean 400-500 is to little we need atleast 1000 and 800 t-80's.The army is considering to replace all its old t-55/t-65,m-47/48 tanks wich is around 2000 if im not mistanking.

Pls answer this question :
Why Pakistan Army is getting two similar MBTs : AK and T80 ??? :frusty:

Both are in category of medium tanks and have more or less same
capability ,range and firepower !!!

Originally posted by Arjun@Oct 25 2005, 10:44 AM
Pls answer this question :
Why Pakistan Army is getting two similar MBTs : AK and T80 ??? :frusty:

Both are in category of medium tanks and have more or less same
capability ,range and firepower !!!
[post=1245]Quoted post[/post]​

We acquired UDs in 80s, and then we planned to build our own indeginiously by trying to copy T-90 of China. Because of the corporation from different countries the results came out better than what was expected we went to the top countries who had the latest technology and suited our environment such as for engine thats how we got that. About electronics Pakistan always prefers western electronics versus Chinese so they went for it.

Pakistan didn't really go for both tanks the situation made it go that way, and one more thing comes in to my mind is tactics of Pakistan Armed Forces and that is to fight in enemys territory rather than get tanks like Arjun and defend its territory on its own land. :PakistanFlag:

You might have noticed we have the double amount of APCs than you guys have.

Originally posted by Ahsan Farooqui@Oct 25 2005, 04:14 PM
You might have noticed we have the double amount of APCs than you guys have.
[post=1256]Quoted post[/post]​

India has 900 BMP2 and 700 BMP1 .

How many has Pakistan got ??

Any non Indian links to support what you say Arjun.India currently has around 300 while pakistan has around 2000 but by 2015 the numbers will be doubled.

Originally posted by Arjun@Oct 25 2005, 02:35 PM
India has 900 BMP2 and 700 BMP1 .

How many has Pakistan got ??
[post=1292]Quoted post[/post]​

About the same amount, but Pakistan is producing the Al-Tahla, which would increase the number by like 700!

Back
Top Bottom