What's new

Afzal Guru hanged

Everyone let him defend himself, with legal advice. He was tried in the lower courts, found guilty, made full use of his constitutional rights to appeal to higher courts, all the way to the supreme court. Every court found him guilty. After that, he was allowed to beg for mercy from the president. So don't say nobody bothered to ask if he was guilty. Yes we did. India is a country where everyone, even Pakistani terrorists like kasab are given a free and fair trial before hanging from a noose.

I can think of many other countries where there would have been no trial, but just a hellfire missile landing on him unexpectedly, or turning up in a ditch somewhere with torture marks across his body. India tried him to the full extent possible before executing him. Fed and clothed him all the while, for 11 years. What more should we do, to prove his guilt?

Thanked for the first part. But I know about what the courts actually are. I don't know if it was a judge or lawyer in Hyderabad who suggested one of our members of family on Indian side to go to Pakistan after he wanted to start litigation against attacks on Muslims post-Gujarat in Hyderabad, particularly the police who jailed innocents.

It would be nice if someone figured out if he was innocent. I believe India's courts are over-jingoistic with the trials of suspected terrorists and Pakistan's are too nonchalant. I still have to find the perfect model though. All of Kashmir is in tears nonetheless. Protests to be held today and tommarow.

Thanked for the first part. But I know about what the courts actually are. I don't know if it was a judge or lawyer in Hyderabad who suggested one of our members of family on Indian side to go to Pakistan after he wanted to start litigation against attacks on Muslims post-Gujarat in Hyderabad, particularly the police who jailed innocents.

It would be nice if someone figured out if he was innocent. I believe India's courts are over-jingoistic with the trials of suspected terrorists and Pakistan's are too nonchalant. I still have to find the perfect model though. All of Kashmir is in tears nonetheless. Protests to be held today and tommarow.

See 2:40 onwards..

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe India's courts are over-jingoistic with the trials of suspected terrorists and Pakistan's are too nonchalant. .

For one thing, Courts in India are not deciding on the "price of samosas". That really must be over-jingoistic! :D
What you believe is what you believe! What we see is what we know.

So the terrorists are being taken care off accordingly.

Well one can say about all the terrorists targeted of TTP by PA might be innocent even when they have no concrete proof like India have against him.

Stop this hypocritic attitude. He was judged as guilty by Supreme Court of India which is way better than you courts.

So stop pitching this idiotic idea that he might be innocent.

Kashmir thinks he is innocent:

https://www.facebook.com/MAfzalGuru

Mir thinks so too:

I think Afzal Guru was innocent, says Hamid Mir
Islamabad, Feb 9, 2013 (IANS)

Afzal Guru was "innocent", said Pakistani journalist and TV anchor Hamid Mir after the man, convicted for his central role in the attack on the Indian parliament, was hanged in New Delhi Saturday.

"...I think he was innocent but hanged in India," tweeted Hamid Mir.

Nine people were killed in the Dec 13, 2001 Indian parliament attack when five heavily-armed Pakistani terrorists drove into the parliament complex and opened fire. There were about 100 MPs in the building at the time of the attack. The terrorists were shot dead.

And Arundhati roy:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/kashmir-war/234077-afzal-guru-innocent-arundhati-roy.html

Finally Omar Abdullah's government is being blamed:

Omar can't disown hanging decision: Mehbooba - Kashmir Times

All of Kashmir is in tears? The biggest demonstration in Kashmir consisted of 50 people. If you think Indian kashmiris would weep for a convicted terrorist who killed people for money (by his own admission in the interviews he gave), you are confusing them with their counterparts on the other side of the border. Sure, there will be a protest or two. But what makes you think that 32 million people will cry for this a-hole who attacked the seat of our democracy and killed our policemen in Delhi?

The only reason you say "all of Kashmir is in tears" is because you have bought hook, line and sinker into the Pakistani fiction about kashmiris being oppressed b evil India and kashmiris all yearning for freedom. I cannot correct your perceptions on this, so I wouldn't try.

Whether you like it or not, Indian kashmiris are Indians, and a handful of separatists here and there do not represent a state of 32 million or so people. Kashmiris enjoy every freedom and right guaranteed to every Indian by the constitution, AND THEN SOME MORE.

The longer you persist with this delusion of poor, oppressed kashmiris wanting to be free from india, and keep working to "assist" them via terrorists and other proxies, the more your own land will burn. I don't know when you will realize this. Op Gibraltar failed, every other attempt you made to "liberate" Kashmir ended with the "liberators" dead or in jail. Kashmiris are happy to be Indians, and better off for being Indians. The last thing they want is sympathy from people who are worse off than them in every way.

As for India's courts being over jingoistic - the fact that our courts have executed three people in the last decade, in a country of 1.2 billion people waging war with foreign funded separatist groups and internal naxal groups, should tell you that our courts are nothing of the sort. Yes, a grand total of THREE (!) people have been executed by our courts in ten years. This guy, ajmal kasab, and dhananjoy chatterjee (for the rape and murder of a minor girl). Name another country with the death penalty that has executed fewer people. Jingoistic, my foot.

What you have to say about the video which Karan posted?? Everybody thinks he is innocent, but he himself is saying thta he aided the terrorists oops freedom fighters.

Of course there will be the odd attention seekers here and there, like Arundhati roy. But if she had a case to make, she could have done so in the courts that tried him. Her personal opinion is precisely that - her personal opinion. Several trials in several courts, all known for being completely apolitical, have all found him guilty, and in a functioning democracy, that is what matters - the verdict reached through due process of law. Not the personal opinion of a columnist or politician.

What you have to say about the video which Karan posted?? Everybody thinks he is innocent, but he himself is saying thta he aided the terrorists oops freedom fighters.

If he is innocent, then so is every single TTP and BLA militant killed by Pakistani forces in Pakistan.. Words are cheap.. It seems logic is even cheaper here on the forum :)

All of Kashmir is in tears? The biggest demonstration in Kashmir consisted of 50 people. If you think Indian kashmiris would weep for a convicted terrorist who killed people for money (by his own admission in the interviews he gave), you are confusing them with their counterparts on the other side of the border. Sure, there will be a protest or two. But what makes you think that 32 million people will cry for this a-hole who attacked the seat of our democracy and killed our policemen in Delhi?

The only reason you say "all of Kashmir is in tears" is because you have bought hook, line and sinker into the Pakistani fiction about kashmiris being oppressed b evil India and kashmiris all yearning for freedom. I cannot correct your perceptions on this, so I wouldn't try.

Whether you like it or not, Indian kashmiris are Indians, and a handful of separatists here and there do not represent a state of 32 million or so people. Kashmiris enjoy every freedom and right guaranteed to every Indian by the constitution, AND THEN SOME MORE.

The longer you persist with this delusion of poor, oppressed kashmiris wanting to be free from india, and keep working to "assist" them via terrorists and other proxies, the more your own land will burn. I don't know when you will realize this. Op Gibraltar failed, every other attempt you made to "liberate" Kashmir ended with the "liberators" dead or in jail. Kashmiris are happy to be Indians, and better off for being Indians. The last thing they want is sympathy from people who are worse off than them in every way.

As for India's courts being over jingoistic - the fact that our courts have executed three people in the last decade, in a country of 1.2 billion people waging war with foreign funded separatist groups and internal naxal groups, should tell you that our courts are nothing of the sort. Yes, a grand total of THREE (!) people have been executed by our courts in ten years. This guy, ajmal kasab, and dhananjoy chatterjee (for the rape and murder of a minor girl). Name another country with the death penalty that has executed fewer people. Jingoistic, my foot.

Isn't there a curfew in Kashmir after Afzal guru's hanging? How can anyone protest unless they want to get shot?

Indian Kashmir on edge after terror convict hanged

(AP) – 36 minutes ago

SRINAGAR, India (AP) — Most of Indian Kashmir is paralyzed as a strict curfew imposed after the execution of a Kashmiri man convicted in a deadly 2001 attack on India's Parliament remains in effect.

Mohammed Afzal Guru was hanged in New Delhi early Saturday, triggering protests across Indian Kashmir and prompting authorities to order people in most of the region to remain indoors indefinitely. Police say 23 policemen and 13 protesters were injured in Saturday's demonstrations.

Tens of thousands of security troops are fanned out across the Himalayan region.

Cable television and mobile Internet services have been shut down in most parts of the region, and most local newspapers were not available Sunday. One major paper said police came to its offices and asked management to hold off publishing Sunday's edition.

If he is innocent, then so is every single TTP and BLA militant killed by Pakistani forces in Pakistan.. Words are cheap.. It seems logic is even cheaper here on the forum :)

Kind of funny, we provided video evidence and links showing that he himself admitting he aided the terrorists and some people still arguing that he is innocent.. Now we can see he will start rant about what his relative from India told him about Afzal Guru's trial and how innocent he was..

Of course there will be the odd attention seekers here and there, like Arundhati roy. But if she had a case to make, she could have done so in the courts that tried him. Her personal opinion is precisely that - her personal opinion. Several trials in several courts, all known for being completely apolitical, have all found him guilty, and in a functioning democracy, that is what matters - the verdict reached through due process of law. Not the personal opinion of a columnist or politician.

I believe I will not spend time on this further but I do believe it should be noted that there are a number of people who continue to hold that he is innocent and has been framed on false charges of terrorism. This is the other side of the story. I can see the polarization in Indian society as Muslims either avoid the topic, claim Afzal is innocent while the majority is unshakably convinced that Afzal is indeed a terrorist. Neither has full proof and as Arundhati noted in her article the evidence is circumstancial rather than solid.

Back
Top Bottom