What's new

Afghanistan, India and Iran to ink transit agreement

lol -- I hope that is a good thing.

But in all seriousness does anybody have answers to Pakistani access over India?

Oh and a related question -- Pakistan has provided Afghanistan with 60 years of transit access to her ports ... has Afghanistan provided reciprocal access to the USSR or now the CARs?

This is nothing to do with reciprocity of access. That is connected to agreements to conclude reciprocal transit rights.
While in the case of Afghanistan or Nepal for instance its different. Its connected to rights given to land-locked countries; in this case Afghanistan or Nepal to gain transit/access rights. This right has to be given to them.
Read the following:Convention on Transit Trade of Land-locked States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This now flows out of: PREAMBLE TO THE UNITED NATIONS CONVENTION ON THE LAW OF THE SEA

So India or Pakistan do not fall under the category of land-locked countries; hence have no privileges under that Convention.

let me tell u the situation in our region :

iran likes pakistan

india dislikes it

iran likes india

pakistan dislikes it

iran likes afghanistan

pakistan dislikes it

pakistan likes saudi

iran dislikes it

india likes israel

iran dislikes it , pakistan dislikes it

complicated sh*t thats what i say !

:dance3:....:yay:

I have yet to see even one dialogue process on all the said accesses that you are talking about - can you point out to even one statement, discussion, plan, offer or roadmap that has been mentioned in the past by any of your leaders?- something concrete not something spoken in the air.

This transit trade offer is just hogwash - I am not saying that it cannot be done - only that such an offer is not even on the table and you tying it up to Kashmir issue will not take it any forward too.

It means Iran and Pakistan dislike more countries than India (we dislike just 1). :D

from what I know its definitely on the table but it has not been talked about much, in fact it was put first on the table by Nawaz sharif to the late I.K. gujlar & then to Atalji, yes after that the whole process was screwed by musharraf for which I hate him (I don't know the details about Musharraf-Manmohan talks)

from what I know its definitely on the table but it has not been talked about much, in fact it was put first on the table by Nawaz sharif to the late I.K. gujlar & then to Atalji, yes after that the whole process was screwed by musharraf for which I hate him (I don't know the details about Musharraf-Manmohan talks)

As far as I know, the offer was vague without any details - the only concrete discussion was on TAPI and granting of MFN.

I seriously doubt afghans will get the preferential deal by any pak government.

Afghans are giving you preferential transit deals... so it has to be reciprocated. All the Pakistani goods which transit through Afghanistan to central asian countries get same duty free concessions. So, what are you complaining about??

Afghans are giving you preferential transit deals... so it has to be reciprocated. All the Pakistani goods which transit through Afghanistan to central asian countries get same duty free concessions. So, what are you complaining about??

Ahhhmmm my reading of history could be faulty but if I remember correctly Pakistan has been giving Afghans transit rights for 66 years -- I should think if Pakistan cut off Afghanistan transit tomorrow, the Afghans owe Pakistanis 66 years (give or take) of access to the CARs (no?)

Last edited:
Ahhhmmm my reading of history could be faulty but if I remember correctly Pakistan has been giving Afghans transit rights for 66 years -- I should think if Pakistan cut off Afghanistan transit tomorrow, the Afghans owe Pakistanis 66 years (give or take) of access to the CARs (no?)

If you pay for it, as we did and do...

Afghanistan is a land locked country and The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea now gives a landlocked country a right of access to and from the sea without taxation of traffic through transit states. But you guys set up artificial barriers to restrict them from choosing their trading partners like India.

Meanwhile, the Afghan Ministry of Commerce and Industries criticised the Pakistani government for violating the Bilateral Trade and Transit Agreement (BTTA) signed between the two countries and accused it of not letting the Afghan traders enter Wagah border.

Elaborating on the issue, the Afghan Minister of Commerce and Industry, Anwarulhaq Ahadi said, "Problems with Pakistan still exist. These issues should be settled quickly. If we get direct access to the domestic Indian markets, we can increase our exports to India."

According to the BTTA, Afghan traders are permitted to enter all the ports of Pakistan, including the Wagah port, located alongside the India-Pakistan border. But, Pakistan has stopped allowing the Afghan traders to export their commodities to India through the border in Wagah.

In light of the issue, Afghan traders said that they are trying to seek an alternative to the Karachi port in order to import and export goods without any restrictions.

The BTTA was signed by Pakistan and Afghanistan in 1965.

Chah Bahar Port to Facilitate Strong Trade Ties Between Afghanistan, India and Iran

Afghanistan is a land locked country and The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea now gives a landlocked country a right of access to and from the sea without taxation of traffic through transit states. But you guys set up artificial barriers to restrict them from choosing their trading partners like India.

You really think that Pakistani readers of this forum are not aware of the Convention on the Law of the Sea?

You really think that Pakistani readers of this forum are not aware of the Convention on the Law of the Sea?

If you are aware is one thing and what you do on the ground is another thing.

For example the trucks from Afghanistan can export goods into India via Wagah but cannot import through the same route. The trucks have to return back empty handed or carry Pakistani goods on the way back. One argument is that the Indian goods will be smuggled into Pakistan... which is lame because it is already happening through Dubai.

Why Afghanistan has to suffer if you guys cannot prevent smuggling??

You are telling us that you guys did them a favor by providing them transit access for past 66 years while at the same time you guys used Afghan transit route to CAR.

If you are aware is one thing and what you do on the ground is another thing.

For example the trucks from Afghanistan can export goods into India via Wagah but cannot import through the same route. The trucks have to return back empty handed or carry Pakistani goods on the way back. One argument is that the Indian goods will be smuggled into Pakistan... which is lame because it is already happening through Dubai.

Why Afghanistan has to suffer if you guys cannot prevent smuggling??

You are telling us that you guys did them a favor by providing them transit access for past 66 years while at the same time you guys used Afghan transit route to CAR.

Did you look at the intricacies of the Law of the sea or does posting a link qualify you to be an expert?

Did you look at the intricacies of the Law of the sea or does posting a link qualify you to be an expert?

Tell me which part of the following:
PART X
RIGHT OF ACCESS OF LAND-LOCKED STATES TO AND FROM THE SEA AND FREEDOM OF TRANSIT

that you did not understand.

It is the broader implications that counts when making trade deals. Which part is it difficult for you to understand?? We have suffered from intractable and hostile stance from Pakistan in negotiating any trade deals and on counting on you guys to honor the commitments. Take MFN for instance?

It is always good for India, Iran and Afghanistan to have their transit bypassing Pakistan. Pakistan will have its role albeit with diminishing returns... benefits that beyond a certain point fail to increase in proportion to extended efforts.

Tell me which part of the following:
PART X
RIGHT OF ACCESS OF LAND-LOCKED STATES TO AND FROM THE SEA AND FREEDOM OF TRANSIT

that you did not understand.

Ahmmm, I think that is where you stopped reading.

Jahaleeyat Zindabod!!!

Back
Top Bottom