What's new

Afghanistan emerges as new job market for Pakistanis

Sher Malang

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
KABUL: Afghanistan is emerging an unlikely new job market for Pakistanis as the number of the youth who are employed in the war-torn country crossed 100,000, officials here say.

“Around 100,000 Pakistanis are working in Afghanistan as chartered accountants, bankers, teachers, engineers, doctors and labourers,” said Muhammad Sadiq, Pakistan’s ambassador to Afghanistan. He said the Pakistani workers were preferred for hiring because of their skills and experience. He revealed that $2.6 billion official exports to the country, which makes it the biggest exporter to Afghanistan, had created 3.5 million jobs in Pakistan.

The Pakistanis who work in Kabul suggested that the number of the workers in Afghanistan was well over 100,000. “The ambassador might be talking of the workers having official record. I think a good number of unregistered Pakistanis have also been working in Afghanistan which is in addition to the 100,000,” said Afzal Ahmad, manager at a food company.

The Pakistanis said they had taken up jobs in the war-struck country due to the saturated job market in Pakistan. Many of those interviewed said handsome salaries in Afghanistan had enticed them to seek job in the country that has been a theatre of a long war.

However, the number of Afghans who have been getting economic benefits from Pakistan dwarfs the total of Pakistani workers in Afghanistan. Muhammad Sadiq said 56,000 Afghans crossed into Pakistan every day for different needs including jobs. Around three million refugees who have jobs or businesses aren’t part of this count.

Daud Badshah, a resident of Shergarh in Mardan district, said he was underpaid in Pakistan. “A measly Rs4,000 salary was offered to me by NHA which was insufficient for the needs of my family,” said Sher Badshah, whose father is a watchman at a factory in Shergarh.

The 26-year-old man, who could study only up to 9th class, works for 14 hours daily (7am-9pm) at a restaurant in Kabul where he supervises a staff of 35 people and is able to make good money. “I am getting Rs16,380 (Af.9,000), plus the tip,” he said. “My family tried to stop me from taking up the job in Afghanistan but my poor economic conditions forced me to come here. Four years later, the pressure continues,” he added.

Sher Badshah’s job encouraged his brother Sardar Badshah to come to Afghanistan in search of a job. Now, he gets a salary of 500 US dollars as a cook.“Afghan police harass us despite the fact that we have visas. They demand bribe and misbehave with us. But people here are nice and respectful,” he said.

At the same restaurant, Muhammad Ayaz from Peshawar and Muhammad Ali from Skardu receive salary of Rs23,660 (Af.13,000) and Rs30,940 (Af.17,000), respectively.

Waqar Ahmad came from Peshawar to Kabul in 2007 to find a job. Now he is holding an executive position in a company for the last almost six years and gets an undisclosed ‘handsome’ salary. “The road that winds through the troubled areas into Pakistan is very dangerous,” he said. “I have seen bombs exploding in front of me. I have seen Taliban blocking the road and checking. I have been caught up in crossfire. But thanks God, I have remained unscathed each time,” he said of the threats.

Source: Afghanistan emerges as new job market for Pakistanis - thenews.com.pk

I am sure even half of this figure Indians do not represent in Afghanistan but still many many of Pakistanis blindly blame Karzai and it's government for being pro-India; imagine if a restaurant guy earns 30,000 PKR those who are working in NGOs, private companies, gov offices how much they would earn? we paid a Pakistani fellow 54,000$ for 6 months (with accommodation) this year.

So let this wrong thing go out of your brains and be constructive towards stability of both nations because the more you guys believe in conspiracy theories the more it will hurts us both, Afghanistan is open for any country :)

I am sure even half of this figure Indians do not represent in Afghanistan but still many many of Pakistanis blindly blame Karzai and it's government for being pro-India; imagine if a restaurant guy earns 30,000 PKR those who are working in NGOs, private companies, gov offices how much they would earn? we paid a Pakistani fellow 54,000$ for 6 months (with accommodation) this year.

So let this wrong thing go out of your brains and be constructive towards stability of both nations because the more you guys believe in conspiracy theories the more it will hurts us both, Afghanistan is open for any country :)

ehhh what Karzai and his weak govt has to do with this? Its all due to foreign funded foreign projects in Afghanistan.

As soon the foreigners are gone the most of the jobs will go too.

ehhh what Karzai and his weak govt has to do with this? Its all due to foreign funded foreign projects in Afghanistan.

Today I can also call you 'ungrateful people'

Foreigners? man if he give a decree that no Pakistani should be hired people will also support it because he has been under pressure for a long time that Pakistani should not be hired in Afghan market this was majority from people and parliamentarians.

so presence of foreign forces provides jobs to pakistanis :woot:

so paksitan shud continue to provide supplies :lol:

so presence of foreign forces provides jobs to pakistanis :woot:

so paksitan shud continue to provide supplies :lol:

During Pakistan's puppet rule our trade with Pakistan was 26$ million but today it's 2.6 billion$!! it has created 3.5 million jobs in Pakistan; It so surprising that members here never read something like this before.

The number of Pakistani jobs in Afghanistan will go higher after 2014 because that would be the year where all our mining contractors will start practically and will hire people for the jobs.

Foreigners? man if he give a decree that no Pakistani should be hired people will also support it because he has been under pressure for a long time that Pakistani should not be hired in Afghan market this was majority from people and parliamentarians.

dont worry karzai would not do this blunder, cz Pakistan can easily accomodate few thgousands jobless Pakistanis who will come from afghanistan (when we can accomodates millions of afghans) but just think if Pakistan retaliate how karzai & ur country will accomodate millions of Afghanistan?

& hope Afghan govt also do something to provide jobs to afghan peoples so tht every day thousands of afghans dont cross border & come to Pakistan for work & Pakistan could seal the border

During Pakistan's puppet rule our trade with Pakistan was 26$ million but today it's 2.6 billion$!! it has created 3.5 million jobs in Pakistan; It so surprising that members here never read something like this before.

The number of Pakistani jobs in Afghanistan will go higher after 2014 because that would be the year where all our mining contractors will start practically and will hire people for the jobs.

Pakistanis are thankless people...They see conspiracy in every thing :hitwall:..

Stability in A-stan will bring more jobs for pakistan and people close to tribal areas will have benefit

Pakistanis are thankless people...They see conspiracy in every thing :hitwall:..

Stability in A-stan will bring more jobs for pakistan and people close to tribal areas will have benefit

can u plz go & fart to bharat rakshak???
especially when u guys dont even know a sh!t abt our relations with them....

what is there to be gratefull about it in the first place? i am working and earning getting paid simple rule. No one is giving the free money.

On the other hand in my personal opinion Karzai should order the above in order to give the same jobs to own Afghanistani youth and men alike since majority of your own people need jobs.

I would say the same for my country too if it was the case.

dont worry karzai would not do this blunder, cz Pakistan can easily accomodate few thgousands jobless Pakistanis who will come from afghanistan (when we can accomodates millions of afghans) but just think if Pakistan retaliate how karzai & ur country will accomodate millions of Afghanistan?

Why you guys are weak in maths? over 100,000 jobs for Pakistanis mean we are directly supporting 1.5+millon Pakistanis!! and where did I said Pakistan is not giving jobs to Afghan refugees? they get jobs but with very less wages not like that restaurant guy if he was an Afghan in Pakistan he would have got a maximum of 8,000 PKR!

If you retaliate we will expel over 100,000 Pakistanis (which feeds 1.5+million Pakistanis) and will bring our people here and hire them with a bit lower wages (which can easily feed those 2.5 million refugees).

what is there to be gratefull about it in the first place? i am working and earning getting paid simple rule. No one is giving the free money.

On the other hand in my personal opinion Karzai should order the above in order to give the same jobs to own Afghanistani youth and men alike since majority of your own people need jobs.

I would say the same for my country too if it was the case.

Ok good I was waiting to read this, will quote this anywhere any Pakistani say Afghan are ungrateful because the same applies to Afghans as well they work their (very hard) and feed themselves and give you guys rent too! so nothing about ungratefulness here!

Back
Top Bottom