What's new

Acts of Terrorism in Pakistan

Friday, November 02, 2007
HERAT: Afghan forces said Thursday they had killed 50 more Taliban militants in the heaviest fighting in a western province since the fall of the regime in 2001.

“An operation by local and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato) troops to retake a district in the increasingly troubled Farah province from the rebels entered its third day,” Provincial Police Spokesperson Mohammad Gul Sarjang said.

“The fighting still continues in Gulistan District. We killed 20 more Taliban since yesterday,” the police spokesperson said. “Five soldiers and seven police have also been killed so far.” On Wednesday Afghan police said up to 40 Taliban militants were killed and 20 wounded.

“There is fighting going on to retake the district, but I cannot confirm any casualties at this stage,” Defence Ministry Spokesman Mohammad Zahir Azimi said Thursday. The Taliban dispute the casualty figures and maintain they are in control of the district.

“The insurgents also attacked another district of Farah on Wednesday night, sparking a six-hour fight with security forces,” Sarjang said. “Taliban attacked Bakwa District last night. Thirty Taliban were killed in six hours of fighting, two police were wounded,” the spokesperson said. Azimi later said the fighting had ended but he could not confirm the toll.

The figures could not be independently confirmed and the interior ministry was not immediately available for comment. Taliban militants have taken over several districts in Afghanistan for brief periods of time but have kept control of only one, Musa Qala District in southern Helmand province, which they captured almost a year ago.

Rebels attacked a police post in Helmand’s Nadali district Thursday, killing five policemen and wounding two others, police said. “Five police are martyred and three have been wounded in the Taliban attack,” Provincial Police Chief Mohammad Hussain Andiwal told AFP.

Helmand, Afghanistan’s biggest opium-growing region, borders Farah and hundreds of militants from the province have crossed over into Gulistan District during the current bout of fighting.

Separately police were carrying out follow-up operations in the southern district of Arghandab, close to the former Taliban base of Kandahar, where they said on Wednesday they had surrounded more than 200 militants and killed 50.

“Since yesterday there has not been any direct fighting in Arghandab District,” Provincial Police Chief Sayed Aqa Saqib told AFP. “We are carrying out our clean-up operations. We have not faced any resistance so far.”

Meanwhile, US-led coalition forces killed three civilians, including two children and a 75-year-old man, in a raid on a house in the eastern province of Nangarhar, local police said. The coalition confirmed that two children had died in the incident but said that the third person killed was a Taliban militant who barricaded himself in a room with his family.

“While resisting multiple requests to surrender, the militant barricaded himself in a room. Unbeknownst to Afghan forces his family was barricaded in the room with him,” the coalition said. Civilian casualties from the US-led coalition and Nato-led troops in Afghanistan have come under sharp criticism from Afghans.

When they blow you up or slit your throats, but i guess that would be too late.

Extremism and terrorism is an existant danger, and a very omnious one in this particular case for Pakistanis.

Dude, however much you want to believe all the hype, it's simply not happening. It really isn't! You can easily get tickets to go to the NWFP (the supposed militants walking the streets, taking over it). There's absolutely no restrcitions. Enough people have been there from my relations in te last 4 months, and all they said was "nice, scenic, peaceful". It's more a case of trying to spot the militant to keep you busy, than any sort of takeover there.

Enough people have been there from my relations in te last 4 months, and all they said was "nice, scenic, peaceful". It's more a case of trying to spot the militant to keep you busy, than any sort of takeover there.

Care to explain if all is peaceful why is there Emergency being declared ?

Regards

When they blow you up or slit your throats, but i guess that would be too late.

Well when they do slit my throat for not wearing Burqa :P :P what a silly comment but dont worry i wont ask for your help :cheesy:

Well when they do slit my throat for not wearing Burqa :P :P what a silly comment but dont worry i wont ask for your help :cheesy:

'You' as in not you as an individual! I wont wish you that.

Dude, however much you want to believe all the hype, it's simply not happening. It really isn't! You can easily get tickets to go to the NWFP (the supposed militants walking the streets, taking over it). There's absolutely no restrcitions. Enough people have been there from my relations in te last 4 months, and all they said was "nice, scenic, peaceful". It's more a case of trying to spot the militant to keep you busy, than any sort of takeover there.

I have no first hand experience of this area. What i said was widely reported in english media, not BBC and CNN alone but also in Al Jazeera. They aireda video where the extremists did a 'flag march' just meters away from the security checkpost.

I have no first hand experience of this area. What i said was widely reported in english media, not BBC and CNN alone but also in Al Jazeera. They aireda video where the extremists did a 'flag march' just meters away from the security checkpost.

Was that in Swat (provincially adminstered tribal areas - PATA) or FATA (Federally Adminstered Tribal Areas)? Neither of those constitute the NWFP, perhaps that is where the confusion is.

'You' as in not you as an individual! I wont wish you that.

:) Bullllll Nobody had been slaughtred atleast for NOT wearing Burqa in NWFP :)

Was that in Swat (provincially adminstered tribal areas - PATA) or FATA (Federally Adminstered Tribal Areas)? Neither of those constitute the NWFP, perhaps that is where the confusion is.

AGNO dear after erruption of clashes between forces and miscreant almost the entire population of areas of trouble in SWAT migrated to safer places so the supporters of fazlullah patrolles in these areas so nothing to be surprised

AGNO dear after erruption of clashes between forces and miscreant almost the entire population of areas of trouble in SWAT migrated to safer places so the supporters of fazlullah patrolles in these areas so nothing to be surprised

I understand that, but I think Bull is confusing NWFP with Swat/Waziristan, and therfore concluding that all of the NWFP is affected.

Yar Swat is in NWFP and also the agencies

I will be online after 11pm PST will let you know about other development.

TC

Isnt that NWFP, pls clarify.

I am trying to get that clarified.

I may be wrong, but I thought Swat and Malakand were part of PATA. My understanding was that the PATA were to NWFP what FATA was to Pakistan - i.e with very little central government (povincial gov.) control - hence my contention that what happens there is not reflective of the NWFP as a whole, just as what happens in FATA is not reflective of Pakistan as a whole.

Let me explain

FATA is officially administered by Federal Government and

PATA areas are administered by provincial government.

Now some areas of Malakand Division the ones where clashed are ongoing comes under NWFP administeration. Swat is also one of these.
While Waziristan comes under federal government.
But collectively all these areas including all the tribal agencies are part of NWFP Province.

The only difference is the administeration.

Back
Top Bottom