What's new

Acts of Terrorism in Pakistan

About 12 security personnel were killed in an attack on army convoy by terrorits in Wazirista Agency..The officials confirmed 6 casualties.
In Retaliatory attack by forces 15 terrorists were also killed and as many wounded.

Nine killed in two suicide attacks in Pakistan

Islamabad(Xinhua) : Three soldiers and four civilians were killed Thursday in two suicide bomb attacks on a security check post in southwestern Pakistan, the army said.

Two bombers were also killed in the attacks in the military area in Quetta, the capital of the southwestern province of Balochistan, military spokesman Major General Waheed Arshad said.

He said a bomber blew himself up at the checkpost of a military area at Quetta's Kuch Mur neighborhood at 5.15 p.m. (local time).

Moments after the first blast, another bomber blew himself up when the army and civilians were shifting the victims of the first attack, he added.

No group claimed responsibility for the attacks. But such attacks are blamed on militants and anti-government nationalists. Earlier, local TV reports had put the death toll at 11.

Nine killed in two suicide attacks in Pakistan | Indian Muslims

The terrorist actions are becoming commonplace and practically a part of life in the subcontinent.

Most unfortunate!

The terrorist actions are becoming commonplace and practically a part of life in the subcontinent.

Most unfortunate!

I think the people of Subcontinent have a false sense of invincibility that it will never affect them + a general inertia towards activism has resulted in perverse form of social stagnation and subsequent rise of extremism..(the rise of extremism is again due to apathy and lack of responsible action from people and govt though that is secondary to intolerance that we must breed/develop to terrorism)

Pakistan bombing kills at least 50

By RIAZ KHAN, Associated Press Writer

SHERPAO, Pakistan - Pakistani police raided an Islamic school and arrested seven students Friday, hours after a suicide bomber killed at least 50 people inside a mosque packed with holiday worshippers at the home of the former interior minister.

Suspicion for the blast, which left bloody clothing, shoes and pieces of flesh scattered across the house of worship, focused on the pro-Taliban or al-Qaida militants active near the Afghan border, where the attack occurred.

It was the second suicide attack in eight months apparently targeting Aftab Khan Sherpao, who as interior minister was deeply involved in Pakistan's efforts to combat the Taliban and drive out al-Qaida.

Sherpao was praying in the mosque's front row at the time of the attack, but he escaped injury.

"Yes, I'm fine," Sherpao told the Associated Press in a brief telephone interview. One of his sons was wounded, and witnesses said the dead included police officers guarding Sherpao.

President Pervez Musharraf condemned the blast and directed security and intelligence agencies to track down the masterminds, the state Associated Press of Pakistan reported.

After the bombing, dozens of police and intelligence agents raided an Islamic school in the nearby village of Turangzai and arrested seven students, some of them Afghans, two police officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media. The officials declined to say whether the raid was connected to the attack.

The blast deepened the sense of uncertainty in Pakistan ahead of Jan. 8 parliamentary elections, which Sherpao, as head of the Pakistan Peoples Party-Sherpao, is contesting.

The bombing turned a prayer service crowded with hundreds of people celebrating the Islamic holy day of Eid al-Adha into a scene of carnage at the mosque inside Sherpao's residential compound in Sherpao, a village 25 miles, northeast of the city of Peshawar.

The bomber was in a row of worshippers when he detonated the explosive, provincial police chief Sharif Virk said.

"There was blood and body parts everywhere. There was panic everywhere. People were running. Some people were injured in the chaos," said Iqbal Hussain, a police officer in charge of security at the mosque.

District Mayor Farman Ali Khan said between 50 and 55 people were killed, and authorities were collecting information on their identities. Local police chief Feroz Shah said over 100 were wounded.

The hospital in Peshawar was wracked with chaos as the wounded arrived in pickup trucks, ambulance sirens wailed and the injured screamed for help. The bomb contained between 13 and 17 pounds of explosives and was filled with nails and ball bearings to maximize casualties, according to the head of the bomb unit at the scene.

A bulldozer was brought in to help volunteers dig graves for the dead next to the mosque.

Minhaj Khan was digging a grave for the dismembered body of Shah Jee, a 28-year-old father of two from the village.

"He was a poor laborer. Now who will look after his family?" he asked. "It is nothing but extreme cruelty to kill people on such a holy day for Muslims."

Hussain, the police officer, said everyone entering was forced to pass through a body scanner and was searched with metal and explosive detectors. "We don't know how the bomber got in," he said.

Hamid Nawaz, the current interior minister, insisted there was no security lapse.

"All possible care had been taken, there was no lapse as such ... but such an incident can happen at such a gathering," Nawaz told Aaj TV.

After the blast, Sherpao's house was protected by about a dozen police and paramilitary troops.

As interior minister, Sherpao oversaw one of Pakistan's civilian spy agencies, police and paramilitary forces involved in operations against militants along the Afghan border.

He was a longtime supporter of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party before defecting and joining the government after the last parliamentary elections in 2002. He left office last month as a caretaker government took over ahead of the January elections.

Top figures in the government have been repeatedly targeted. In April, Sherpao was slightly wounded by a suicide bomber, and Musharraf himself narrowly escaped assassination in two bombings a few days apart in December 2003.

Taliban and al-Qaida fighters have extended their influence over tracts of Pakistan's volatile northwest in the past two years and in recent months have launched numerous suicide attacks, usually targeting security forces and their families.

The army says the most recent attacks could be retaliation for a military operation against militants in the Swat valley, where it claims to have killed about 300 militants since last month.

The violence came as Pakistan struggled to emerge from months of political turmoil.

Musharraf recently declared emergency rule for six weeks — a move he said was necessary to combat rising Islamic extremism, but was widely seen as a ploy to prolong his own presidency. Thousands of his opponents were rounded up and Supreme Court justices fired.

On Friday, police re-arrested prominent opposition lawyer Aitzaz Ahsan, according to his son, Ali Aitzaz. Aitzaz Ahsan, who had been at the forefront of a lawyers' protest movement, was released Thursday for three days for the holy day, but was detained again after just one day.

Pakistan bombing kills at least 50 - Yahoo! News

Pakistani police raided an Islamic school and arrested seven students Friday, hours after a suicide bomber killed at least 50 people

Were the foreign students in this madrassa?

I wonder who bankrolled this madrassa and what its curriculum was.

Strict surveillance of madrassas is required and those which are suspects should be ordered to be closed down.

And as Musharraf had planned the foreign students should be sent back.

Are the foreign madrassas not suitable? Ideal teaching I reckon should be from Saudi madrassas.

What is so special about Pakistani madrassas that these foreigners have to come here?

Well it quotes a official saying some of them were Afghans. And the town is located in the NWFP, where the Islamic parties made Islamic education a priority. I don't think there needs to be strict surveillance but they need to test the adults that teach there to see what they teach.

But I guess we could always go with the Saudi madrassas, and start telling girls they can't leave the house, drive, or speak publicly.

i think the MMA has completely messed up the NWFP. i think that they need to be taken out of power and then tried for inciting and abiding terrorism

Salaam,

have you guys ever wondered why all these terrorism acts are happening in Pakistan? when did these so called 'suicide bombers' and terrorist come into being?

brothers this is an amazingly crafted game the United States is playing with us. Why didnt we ever, i mean ever hear of FATA or suicide bomber before 9/11? i remember very clearly that the only time i heard of suicide bombing was in Srilanka by the Tamil Tigers! I mean this is all their CIA doings. our government has a part in this as well. you see, the point is that we hear people saying that the suicide bombers are sent by religious scholars and are religiously motivated, but do we have any hardcore evidence about this? and the answer is none! i think we all are really intellectual people and we need to think that this stuff has got to end, were the future of our beloved land and we need to understand that is not the FATA people or religious people, it is actually the US, other foreign powers and our government. because i sit with alot of ulemas, and they all think that suicide bombing are not an islamic practice, but when needed, it can be used as a weapon in war.

i'll just narrate a small incident so my point makes a little bit sense,

LAL MASJID.

we all know the story, but this is something not alot of people know. a friend of my dad is in ISI, he told us that before the chinies diplomats got kidnapped, the police,army and rangers sitting outside the lal masjid were told to vacate their positions, now you'll ask why?

the answer is this: the government had been having issues with lal masjid for like 4 months, and from the start, they had undercover and normal police, rangers and army, all were stationed outside the lal masjid since the start. but when the students went out with scarves on their faces, and sticks in their hand and full of 2 trucks, i mean even a pedestrian would have spotted them and lest would have suspected something fishy, they went and came, and nothing happened, nobody apprehended them. so that is the reason they pulled back all of their men from lal masjid during that period.

thanks
Salaam
:pakistan:

Salaam,

have you guys ever wondered why all these terrorism acts are happening in Pakistan? when did these so called 'suicide bombers' and terrorist come into being?

brothers this is an amazingly crafted game the United States is playing with us. Why didnt we ever, i mean ever hear of FATA or suicide bomber before 9/11? i remember very clearly that the only time i heard of suicide bombing was in Srilanka by the Tamil Tigers! I mean this is all their CIA doings. our government has a part in this as well. you see, the point is that we hear people saying that the suicide bombers are sent by religious scholars and are religiously motivated, but do we have any hardcore evidence about this? and the answer is none! i think we all are really intellectual people and we need to think that this stuff has got to end, were the future of our beloved land and we need to understand that is not the FATA people or religious people, it is actually the US, other foreign powers and our government. because i sit with alot of ulemas, and they all think that suicide bombing are not an islamic practice, but when needed, it can be used as a weapon in war.

i'll just narrate a small incident so my point makes a little bit sense,

LAL MASJID.

we all know the story, but this is something not alot of people know. a friend of my dad is in ISI, he told us that before the chinies diplomats got kidnapped, the police,army and rangers sitting outside the lal masjid were told to vacate their positions, now you'll ask why?

the answer is this: the government had been having issues with lal masjid for like 4 months, and from the start, they had undercover and normal police, rangers and army, all were stationed outside the lal masjid since the start. but when the students went out with scarves on their faces, and sticks in their hand and full of 2 trucks, i mean even a pedestrian would have spotted them and lest would have suspected something fishy, they went and came, and nothing happened, nobody apprehended them. so that is the reason they pulled back all of their men from lal masjid during that period.

thanks
Salaam

I dont agree with this. I think bro u r mistaken. But even though if u r right then is it justified by these so called Lal Masjid Produced Militants, Then u answer me how a muslim can bomb himself in a mosque or in a majlis so plzz think over it again

Terrorism is on the peak in Pakistan and God knows how much more its going to go up.There have been suicide bombing in every major city,let alone city the thing that shocked me the most when the suicide bomber entered the army mess and blew himself killing many army personnel.And the thing that worries me is that US as some say is the super power,they cant stop the suicide bombing,they still cant handle the militants in Afghanistan,till now they couldnt find Osama(who im sure is dead)but any how will the pakistan goverment and the pakistan army do the job where the us have given up?

Terrorism is on the peak in Pakistan and God knows how much more its going to go up.There have been suicide bombing in every major city,let alone city the thing that shocked me the most when the suicide bomber entered the army mess and blew himself killing many army personnel.And the thing that worries me is that US as some say is the super power,they cant stop the suicide bombing,they still cant handle the militants in Afghanistan,till now they couldnt find Osama(who im sure is dead)but any how will the pakistan goverment and the pakistan army do the job where the us have given up?

Because this is not a conventional war where there are two sides clearly defined.

How can you bring the firepower of the army to bear on a target which by day is an inocuous plain civilian and at night an enemy combatant.

Furthermore how to do you detect a suicide bomber? The answer is you can't distinguish them between one person and another. There are certain ways but the cost of issuing detection equipment is costly.

Back
Top Bottom