What's new

Abid Sher in a scramble to sell his plots

indian navy

Reaction score
Abid Sher in a scramble to sell his plots
Saturday, June 26, 2010
By Rauf Klasra

ISLAMABAD: Chairman National Assembly’s Standing Committee on Education Abid Sher Ali is embroiled in a legal battle with the NAB since 2002 to get an NOC to sell his 10 residential plots worth millions of rupees in the National Police Foundation. He is the only parliamentarian to own 10 plots in the capital’s E-11 sector.

NAB had directed the Police Foundation in 2003 not to let Abid sell his plots after his father, Ch Sher Ali, was sentenced to five years in jail and Rs100 million fine by NAB court No 2.

One dozen letters sent by Abid to the top guns of the Police Foundation make an interesting reading as how an MNA owned 10 plots in Islamabad and was not being allowed to sell them on the ground that his father’s review petition was pending before the court and he could not sell them unless the petition was decided.

These plots purchased by Abid in the Police Foundation are mentioned in the corruption case filed by NAB against his father Sher Ali who was arrested along with his second son on charges of corruption. Abid entered politics after his father and brother landed in jail. He won election from Faisalabad in 2002, and again in 2008 on the PML-N ticket.

Ch Sher Ali was detained in Adyala Jail along with Prime Minister Gilani. Gilani in his autobiography has narrated several interesting experiences with Ch Sher Ali in the jail. Abid is currently engaged in a “crusade” against parliamentarians holding fake degrees. He is also planning to scrutinise degrees of all government officials holding top positions.

Meanwhile, official documents revealed that Ch Sher Ali, ex-Mayor Faisalabad and ex-MNA was tried for corruption under the NAB ordinance and was sentenced to five-year rigorous imprisonment with fine of Rs100 million. He was also disqualified by Accountability Court No 2 Rawalpindi vide judgment dated 15.8.2002 from contesting election or receiving any loan.

But NAB was not satisfied with the sentence and moved the court to get the punishment enhanced and for forfeiture of his assets. NAB had taken the plea that the sentence awarded to the respondent was inadequate.

During investigations against Ch Sher Ali, the NAB investigators also found out that his son Abid Sher Ali had purchased 10 residential plots in the Police Foundation, Islamabad. NAB issued orders to the Foundation not to let Abid sell those plots or transfer their ownership till the court gave final decision.

In his first letter to chairman Police Foundation Islamabad dated March 25, 2003, Abid on his letter pad “From the Desk of Ch Abid Sher Ali, Member National Assembly of Pakistan” wrote: “I had purchased the following plots personally from my own resources in Sector E-Islamabad: Plots numbers 338, 125,130,131,143,169,170,338,631-D and 641”. He further said: “It may kindly be noted that these plots are neither subject of any order of court or law, nor anybody else including my father Ch Sher Ali has got any connection with these plots. The obstruction being caused in the transfer of plots by sale is absolutely unlawful and therefore you are requested to kindly issue the requisite no objection certificate in this respect”.

Abid wrote another letter to the MD Police Foundation with the reference of letter No M\2232/E-11/500/830 dated 11.4.2005. In this letter, he said: “My father Ch Sher Ali had undergone the sentence of 5 years RI in reference no 9/2000 under NAB ordinance. I am the allotttee of plots Nos. 338, 125, 130, 131, 143,169,170,338,631-D and 641 in the housing scheme of Police Foundation. It is pertinent to mention that these plots are under no incumberance. It is therefore requested that arrangements may please be made to hand over the possession of the said plots.”

Finally, on March 22, 2007 his lawyer Rukhsana Malik wrote to the MD Police Foundation: “my client, Abid Sher Ali, MNA is owner of 10 plots in Police Foundation. As per the terms of allotment, handing over of the possession of these plots is long due. On one assumption or the other, your organisation has failed to fulfil its obligation, mandatory to save my client from obvious loss in all terms. I am forwarding affidavit/ bond of indemnity sworn in by my client. Kindly ensure prompt compliance to save any inordinate measures compelling my client to seek redress for damages and loss he is made to bear without any substance”.

National Police Foundation Director Housing Laeeq Ahmed Khan, wrote to NAB through reference no 2232/ E11/500/4306-7 seeking the advice of the NAB with regard to the repeated requests of Ch Abid Sher Ali to get NOC to sell his plots. Laeeq asked the NAB authorities to guide him.

Abid confirmed that he was being denied possession of these plots since 2003 although he had nothing to do with the cases against his father Sher Ali. He said his father was falsely implicated in these cases, as Pervez Musharraf wanted to punish them. He said his father was sentenced but now he was on bail.

Back
Top Bottom